PDA

View Full Version : Confusion Caused by hand Conditioning

Former castleva
05-12-2002, 03:03 AM
I would like to hear what you think about this.
Iīve been doing "hardening" for a while or two and canīt catch the idea of proper application.
Having done heavy bag type for a fair amount of time in the past,I decided to move to the "woods" (forest) about a year ago,and began using trees.
I found it to be a good kind of exercise.It caused my knuckles to tear easily,time after time (having built up stronger tissue,it does not happen anymore) I use fist strikes (mostly backfis,hook and straight shots),palm heel and edge of palm.I used to do fingers too but I was lucky to have quickly learned about worse influences of it.
I also try to regulate my breathing.

This being about that Iīve faced different kinds of views of "how to" about this thing.Hereīs sort of a list:
It has been said that knuckle conditioning may damage finger joints (donīt know how,and have not heard about real life experiences,supposing that it does not go to the level of self-mutilation)
Pressure points of knuckles-that there are a couple of significant points on/around the area,which could cause circulation problems and something with intestines,if I got this right?
Liniments (dit da jow)-which is mostly the idea of cma.I have not had the change to use this,and cma considers it pretty important for healing and developing.Recipes look quite strange to a westerner and it is not largely used everywhere?
Habits of act-Others say theyīve done hard conditioning for a long time without troubles while others highly forbid it.
"Bruised" conditioned knuckles-big knuckles with huge amount of skin covering them.This is what karatekas are well-known for.
Some people think that callouses are bad,some donīt.
Knuckle pushups etc...-Again,some prefer.Some believe them to be harmful (same thing with finger pushups,which can be understood...)

This is all I can think of right now,if I forgot something important,let me know.
BTW,My personal results-some small pain sometimes,in other hand,stronger structure.

Kristoffer
05-12-2002, 04:43 AM
I'll lurk around and see who reply's.

My opinion is that if you have a teacher/instructor/sifu that SHOWS you how to do it, then just do it like you are shown. Follow instructions and you will be fine. Start lightly and move up slowly.

peace

logic
05-12-2002, 05:10 AM
punching wood is over rated.
don't get me wrong it's still good conditioning. But you get better results from a heavy bag work out. I do knuckle push ups and have a wooden board, it's good for conditioning and thats it.You really don't work up a sweat from this and really can't go full force.

Pan Qing Fu
A great Kung Fu master that punches a steel block 2000 times a day and has knuckles the size of rhode island.
He was sitting down when I saw him doing this and his knuckles are now huge so what does this all mean. You still need to train.
It might make a difference,but I don't think it's that much of one.

forget what I just said.
On second thought I'd like to say

Yeah,what Kristoffer said.:) ;) :D

jon
05-12-2002, 05:17 AM
Dude think of the poor trees:(
I mean how would you feel if they hunted you down in your place of rest and layed some smack down on you huh???:mad:

You should hug trees not hurt them!
Or at least circle them with positive intent;)

logic
05-12-2002, 05:23 AM
TREE HUGGER!!!!!
I hate em.
There everywhere now a days!;) :D :D

Former castleva
05-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Thank you all,a lot.
All the previous makes much sense to me.

Jon.
Yeah,I only crush dead trees.
To try to break or even mildly injure a huge living tree with my forces would be far too hard.

Logic.
Yeah,itīs pretty hard to go full force with a tree without getting injured,but maybe someday...

Sho
05-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Just like in Nan Bei Shaolin! :D