PDA

View Full Version : Is age a factor

cybermantis
05-12-2002, 10:58 PM
I have been considering taking either Mantis or an internal art but am concerned about my age. Is age a factor I am in my early 40's? And can I still learn and be a good fighter at my age?

count
05-13-2002, 07:09 AM
I'm in my middle 40's and still fight at least one day a week. Since you have been asking about my teacher, I will tell you, Jason always talks about 3 ages. The one you measure in years, the one you measure in maturity and the one you measure in experience. At least that is my interpretation of what he is saying. When I look in the mirror on the down side of 40's, I still see an 18 year old starring back.

RAF
05-13-2002, 07:23 AM
Liu Yun Qiao's Philosophy:

"The Four Images (Si Xiang) within the Two Ideas (Liang Yi) consist of: training, practice, investigation, and nature; coldness, heat, emptiness, and relaxation; and solidity, calmness, peacefulness, and smoothness.

There are four stages of learning marital arts which are based on the Si Xiang. The first stage is childhood in which the student must learn the basics and train continuously with rest. This requires instruction from a good teacher and will yield a solid foundation in the art. The second stage is the teenage years when one should practice the basics until they become natural. The third stage is during the adult years when one should take what one has learned and develop a higher level of skill by a careful investigation of the arts. Thereby the knowledge and skill attained at this stage will yield greater growth and wisdom. The fourth stage is in the years of old age. This is the time to nurture one's skills. It is at this time that the martial arts practitioner will preserve and protect the level of skill developed in all of the previous stages. "

http://www.wutangcenter.com/Liu.html

draco
05-13-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by cybermantis
I have been considering taking either Mantis or an internal art but am concerned about my age. Is age a factor I am in my early 40's? And can I still learn and be a good fighter at my age?

I find that both these types are for continuous learning and will not be learned overnight.

In your early 40's you have to concider that you are not 20 and can not fight like a 20 year old, so now we have to rely on technique.

Ask yourself if you are better to walk away, stay away or stand and fight?

The victor is decided before it becomes physical.

have fun

cybermantis
05-13-2002, 08:06 AM
I have found that walking away is not an option especially when there are multiple assailants. Which style would you recommend? I am not in bad shape I have daddled in bodybuilding off and on for years. I also do alot of cardio.

Mantis9
05-13-2002, 03:03 PM
its a factor. But that's the thing, everything's a factor. Age, height, size, reach, speed, etc., etc., etc. Being a good fighter depends entirely on you and how you deal with your 'factors.' Being a great fighter depends entirely on making your opponent deal with your 'factors.'

Now choosing between an internal art and PM, well, I think you know what I would say about that decision. Internal arts!

Just joking;)

You know better than we do.

Good luck with your decision.

yu shan
05-13-2002, 10:00 PM
do them both... a great combination!

Shimbad
05-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Is not about age, is about dedication and mental strenght. It doesnt matter if you are old or young the important is learn the real meaning of a martial art, as a way of life

MiamiMantis
05-22-2002, 02:04 PM
I'm 38 going on 39 in August. I have been training since 1982 and I can keep up if not surpass most of the people in class who are half my age. Age will slow you down a little bit but not too much if you train hard. I will say though that it will take alot longer to heal from injuries.

train smart, not just hard....

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

yu shan
05-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Hey Miami

Wouldn`t you agree, that in our age group, we train smart? I personally have no time for injurys, cuz, just like you said, takes a bit longer to heal. Still think years of conditioning has paid it`s toll, and protects me from the young bucks trying to make a statement!

Hua Lin Laoshi
06-06-2002, 01:11 PM
cybermantis
I wouldn't be too concerned with age. Martial Arts can be learned at any age with good results. It's never too late to start and you'll be glad you did when you're 60. Remember, it levels the playing field. It allows the small to overcome the big, the old to overcome the young, the weak to overcome the strong. And don't think the Internal arts a lot easier. Tai Chi really works the muscles. Moving slow is harder than you think. Either one will teach you effeciency and economy of movement and energy expenditure. Skip the acrobatics and concentrate on the techniques. I'm 47 and starting to move away from the high energy, pure muscle moves towards the simple, economic moves that inflict maximum pain in the minimum amount of time.

yu shan
06-06-2002, 10:49 PM
Hey Hua Lin, nice advice, we are there! Never give up!