PDA

View Full Version : Internal/ External: The Six Harmonies?

Fu-Pow
05-13-2002, 02:06 PM
I was just introduced to a new concept by an article I got offline it refers to the Liu He (or Six Harmonies). It seems that the "internal" sister arts have this concept but "externa"l doesn't. From my own experience my "external" art definitely doesn't adhere to this.

Could someone explain this concept a bit. It seem to make a lot of sense.

Shooter
05-13-2002, 03:38 PM
"He who knows does not speak;
He who speaks does not know."

-Lao Tzu

Kumkuat
05-13-2002, 05:00 PM
external three harmonies are
foot connects with the hand
hips to shoulder
elbow to knee

internal three are
heart to mind
mind to qi
qi to strength

Some external arts do use the external 3 harmonies but they don't do the 3 internal harmonies. Anyway, it's kinda hard to explain it by words. The external harmonies are the natural, relaxed way your body will move. Say you're standing tall with your hands stretched out above you and knees locked. Then you sink and relax and let the weight of your body bring your arm down. You'll notice that your body will naturally wind down. Your elbows will go in and your knees will want to go in as well. Same with hands and feet. Your shoulders and hips are both sinking too. That's a rough example of the external 3 harmonies. Then just use your mind and put your 'qi' at your fingertips when it's coming down. And if someone were to hold your hands while your sinking down, they would feel a pull downward. That's the internal 3 harmonies, kinda. (this movement is 'closing') Now if you reverse the direction, that'll be opening. And focus your 'qi' to your finger tips. When someone puts their hand on your fingertips, they should feel the ground expanding upwards. The external harmonies in the reverse direction are that your elbows would go out and so will your knees. Your hips will raise move according to your shoulders, and the hands will go out as will as your feet.

Anyway, if you move with peng jing, then you'll automatcally use the 6 harmonies. One shouldn't try to do the external 3 harmonies because they'll do it too external. They won't let their bodies to wind naturally.

Fu-Pow
05-14-2002, 10:03 AM
Thanks Kumquat, that's what I was looking for.