PDA

View Full Version : How to take a punch.

David Jamieson
05-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Just thought i'd throw this out to see if there are differences in principles.

I'll throw in my perspective in after a few insights from others.

How do you take a punch to the body?

How do you take a punch to the head?

peace

MonkeySlap Too
05-13-2002, 03:59 PM
Mostly I just start blubbering and crying and stuff, until some nice lady notices the bad man and takes me away...

Sorry -- Heck, I just take it. My training includes various Iron Body and Gold Bell skills, which due the 'super secret squirrell' nature of the training, I can't really go into without geting into trouble.

But - the training does work - I can absorb blows much more powerful than I could before the training without even noticing it. Often getting hit just ups my energy level rather than breaking me down.

It's pretty cool. I have classmates who are better at it than I am and can withstand a pretty intense strike.

If you can find a good teacher, who can 'prove' his skill, go for it.

Oh yeah, this stuff cleared up my allergies too. Go figure.

Nexus
05-13-2002, 04:01 PM
With an exhale, same as when you issue one.

Le nOObi
05-13-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

How do you take a punch to the body?

How do you take a punch to the head?

Well whats important is to move in the direction that the punch is going. This increase the time it takes for your body to stop the punch. This works for the same reason that it is safer for you to hit a haystack than a brickwall except in reverse! When you yield to the punch decreases the damage on your body!

Budokan
05-13-2002, 04:36 PM
An explosive exhale is the key.

Or you can just cry and blubber and stuff....filling your drawers with a hot wet loaf of shame. :D

joedoe
05-13-2002, 04:44 PM
lol @ Budokan

Crying and blubbering is good, but don't forget to beg for mercy :D

nospam
05-13-2002, 04:58 PM
The same way...on the move.

nospam.
:cool:

rogue
05-13-2002, 05:03 PM
Roll with it if possible, otherwise suck it up, recover and then smile wickedly back at the guy. I did this once and got an "oh sh1t" from the guy. I just started laughing since it was a ploy.

Silumkid
05-13-2002, 05:07 PM
In the words of the immortal Mr. Miyagi..."Best defense...no be there!"

In the words of the immortal Hulk Hogan, however..."Say your prayers and eat your vitamins!"

old jong
05-13-2002, 05:40 PM
Just block with your face or body and go for a takedown. :rolleyes: ;) :D

African Tiger
05-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Well the last time I took a punch, it was spiked with Absolut...

crazy high school kids

Tae Li
05-13-2002, 06:30 PM
Good question Kung Lek, but allow me to propose another...

How do you take a kick to the head? oh darn, no time for blubbering, or whimering, or mercy for that matter because you would already be unconscious right? hehehe. not good.

I think I would just red in the face, suck inthe pain and MAKE SURE the next kick to the head isnt YOUR head;)

Tae Li;)

David Jamieson
05-13-2002, 06:42 PM
Well, outside of evasion what is it that you would do?

Exhaling is one thing that helps (with body blows), but lets face it, exhaling doesn't do a whole lot for a shot to the head.

I am asking what do you do when it is imminent that you are hit?
You cannot evade and you must take the shot.
What does your training give you in it's methods and principles that will give you the ability to withstand such an attack better?

What technique is used in your style to withstand a strike.

Qigong is key in breathing and the ability to make rythm of your breath and motion while fighting. In and of itself it is an edge the CMA practitioner has.

As for Kicks to the head, well, they do happen but they are more used as finishes than starts. Basically if you can kick someone in the head right off the hop then a: you are pretty darn good at high kicks or b: the person you just kicked in the head fresh out of the gate should not be fighting you at all :D
peace

Merryprankster
05-13-2002, 08:19 PM
Body shots--explosive exhale and staying focused.

Head shots--staying focused.

I know it sounds stupid, but I approach this with a very workman-like attitude. I know I'm going to get hit, but I have a job to do and I stay focused on the job. It completely eliminates the element of surprise and keeps you doing what you should be doing.

anerlich
05-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Body shots - exhale, relax, allow the body to move to dissipate and absorb the force. Tense up, everything stays still and absorbs the total impact. Too much air in the lungs impedes the body's ability to move and dissipate the force.

Head shots - try to take it on a harder part of the skull. Try to "roll" with it, turn or tilt the body and head to reduce the direct nature of the impact.

Russian MA (ROSS/Systema) have IMO excellent methods to improve one's ability to absorb blows, and the trauma of falls, takedowns, etc.

scotty1
05-14-2002, 03:00 AM
To be honest I'd never really thought too much about this. Good post Kung Lek.:)

I just try to stay relaxed throughout the battle and absorb body shots. Relying on conditioning I suppose, and my forearms!

Also distancing. If I know a big shot is on the way than I'll move in/ to the side/ whatever to minimise the impact. Every blow has a point where it will cause the most damage, move out of that point.

Head shots, I just keep my head down, try not to get flustered and move on to the attack. The best way of stopping someone hitting your head is to attack theirs, surely.

But there must be a million small adjustments you can make to your stance / head positioning that will minimise the effectiveness of the strike.

dezhen2001
05-14-2002, 04:01 AM
in the immortal words of Mr T: "stop the jibberjabba, stay in school" :D

Head shots: when i did Shorinji Kempo they have a pretty useful technique for this. Moving your head and body slightly back, then forward and round in a hook kinda shape. It gives you a little more time, plus puts you in a good position to counter.
Other than that, from boxing i learned to keep looking forward, chin down and stay focussed. I guess i would try to go with it as much as possible and take it on somewhere that is structurally more sound than say the nose or ear etc.

body shots: again, from SK they do a similar thing with the body. From your stance, twist the hips back so they are horzontal. It shifts your weight back a little bit and moves your body slightly back. That means u don't get hit with full power.

Lately i've been training hard qigong and have found that my body has started to become a little denser so i can take harder shots to places like my stomach, sides and back... Again i think relaxation and breathing is the key.

Generally i would try to go with it and make sure even if i did get hit i would still be in a good position with minimal damage. But it's not always so easy :D

david

Leonidas
05-14-2002, 04:49 AM
Like a ****ing man. YEEEEEAAAAAA !!!!!!

Oh riiiight, an actual answer. Well..... assuming your not lying unconscious on the ground getting boot soles imprinted into your face, its all mind over matter.... Psyche yourself up. Remind yourself how many pairs of nikes would rain down on you if you drop to the ground, or how you would so not get layed if a chick saw you crying (chicks- always good motivation) .

OK ok, you can listen to my assinine bad attempt at comedy or you can (i'm being serious now, brace yourself) try finding what they call the "reptilian brain", "inner animal", "animal spirit" whatever you wanna call it . I've heard this used in many publication (From articles about Tai Chi to Army Combatives to the Psychology of Violent Subcultures) and it seems to work well. Basic theory is that humans are born with 3 brains and this is the most primitive. It's sole purpose is for survival and as humans you can't defend properly but as an "animal" you can fight off dozens of enemies(exaggerated) and take fierce amounts of pain, from stab wounds to gunshots etc, and of course a punch to the face could just be shrugged off. The problem is getting to that part of your brain.

I probably got a bit off topic but i thought it was pretty cool and it would sure as hell help your self defense training. It sure caught my interest so i though it was share worthy. Seems legit but I can't for the life of me figure out how it's accomplished, 'cept for some advice from an article written by a skinhead which for obvious reasons i'm not gonna try as it involves building a tolerance for gore by trying out eye gouges and the like on unsuspecting people. Fortunately it only shows up during emergencies so you wont flip out and and pull a Hannibal Lechter on your family and house pets, unless you already have an affinity towards that......... The brain is stronger than that.

shaolinboxer
05-14-2002, 06:00 AM
For body shots, keep your elbows covering your small ribs and twist while you exhale.

For shots to the head, if you must get hit, clinch your teeth, tuck your chin and move from your waist, not your head/neck.

Polaris
05-14-2002, 06:17 AM
What Merryprankster said.

Also, for head shots a strong neck is very beneficial to decrease
KO potential (most of you probably knew that).

guohuen
05-14-2002, 06:38 AM
All good stuff. Sometimes stepping into the punch so they can't get full extention works.

David Jamieson
05-14-2002, 06:42 AM
Ok, there's a few replies now, so I'll throw in a spin.

Head shot - Stay focused, keep you mouth closed and your neck tightened, when it lands go with it. if you are in close range, it is my experience that the worst thing you can do is move back, move in instead to cut off the power in the punch. By moving back while in range you are allowing the punch to come in at full force cut it off, attempt to deflect with the arm and as well, attempt to take the strike in the forehead. The forehead can woithstand the most direct force as far as your head is concerned. By moving in and cutting off the power you are also presented with the opportunity to launch a pretty severe counter with an uppercut. For jabs, crosses and hooks you want to make sure that when the strike lands your head doesn't "whip back". Try not to take it to the ear, the chin, the mandible or the bridge of the nose. However if you must then cutting off the power of your opponents punch will help you more than attempting to move away when you are at too close a range.

Body shot, always keep the elbows down as this is the position of strength. Tense the abs and try to take the shot in the obliques (the muscles covering your rib cage. Instead of to the solar plexus which can cause internal damage if you are not conditioned or prepared. Better sore ribs than damaged organs yes? Again, step in to cut off the power and counter with what you have. Generally an uppercut is very useful at this range and it allows you to maintain the position of strength.

Anybody disagree with this? If so why?

peace

Merryprankster
05-14-2002, 07:05 AM
No Kung--this is what I am told when I box. I was looking at the whole thing from a perspectve of "it's already there," but if I have time to mitigate, but not eliminate, the force of the impact, then those are the things to do.

My elbows are always down though :) Or I eat focus mitt until they are....

scotty1
05-14-2002, 07:57 AM
"Tense the abs and try to take the shot in the obliques (the muscles covering your rib cage. Instead of to the solar plexus which can cause internal damage if you are not conditioned or prepared. Better sore ribs than damaged organs yes?"

Wouldn't you rather take a winding shot to the solar plexus than suffer a broken rib? Especially as most people crunch their solar plexus till the cows come home but rarely work on their obliques?

David Jamieson
05-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Nope I would always prefer the shot to the obliques or rib cage over the solar plexus or lower abs.

Even if you work the heck out of your abs, a strong punch can take your wind and damage your internal organs when delivered to the abs.

Besides, your rib cage is ipso facto there to defend your internal organs. I would prefer a cracked rib over a damaged organ any day.

peace

scotty1
05-14-2002, 08:18 AM
True.

Budokan
05-14-2002, 08:28 AM
On this very topic, long ago in a KFO forum far away, Rolls once said you should "absorb the punches". I agree with Rolls. You should absorb the horrendous punishment your opponent dishes out to you, absorbing the brutally horrific blows to your body and your face. Don't become alarmed as your facial bone structure begins to crack and shatter. Rolls has it going on; he knows what he's talking about.

Absorb the damage. Take it, become one with the blows. Only in this way will you become a true martial artist.

Once you get out of intensive care, that is.

David Jamieson
05-14-2002, 08:38 AM
Well, I am not certain that absorbing is the best thing you can do in every instance of being striken. Deflection of the striking energy is more advantageous than absorbing. Evasion, deflection then absorption as the last resort. Even then, rejection of the energy through conditioning can prevent too much absorption of the strike, hence tension and rollaways.

Cuttng off the power of a strike is a technique that many will instinctivley not do. This is a learned reaction to be sure.

It is my experience that in the end, the ability to take strikes can only be learned vis a vis direct experience. Conditioning for them in CMA involves various gongs and exercises, but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

Luckily for the CMAist, there is the benefit of centuries of puddings. Same goes for many martial arts not cma.

Oh that rolls :rolleyes:

peace

Leonidas
05-14-2002, 06:26 PM
If your opponent is in range of you then chances are your in range to strike back at them. I'll totally agree with Kung lek, one the best ways i been told to handle an attack is to attack back. How many people do you know can continue punching full force with a fist planted in their own face. Move forward, Evade/Jam his attack and throw some of your own. It's been said dozens of times the best defense is a good offense. You might get sideswapped a bit but you sent a message of your own and if jammed properly the punches power is cut by atleast 50% which aint that bad. A little bit better than curling up and hoping anything doesn't get broken, that'll get your adrenaline flowing some and it'll get rid of some of the initial fears of getting hit. The least it can do is put you in a fighting mood.

IronFist
05-14-2002, 09:39 PM
bump, cuz i need to read this later cuz i don't really have time now.

IronFist

nospam
05-15-2002, 05:00 AM
Never have I 'seen' or been 'prepared' to take a shot. When I get hit, it is either from a ****ed good set-up, I goofed, or chance positioning.

So, I would disagree with all of the above. I can not flex my neck muscles on contact. I DO NOT keep my chin down..ever. Body shots will be partially absorbed by my ribs and deflected by my movement...naturally. I can not make myself turn nor angle myself just to take a shot. This seems unrealistic.

I suppose, if you are play fighting or perhaps boxing style sparring/fighting, where the name of the game is to wear your opponent down, then some to all of what you post is plausable. For me, I do not play nor box nor spar for sport, so 'wearing' down is not a factor.

I prescribe and teach a 3 second rule. If my opponent is not hurt in 3 seconds of contact/clash/melee...whatever you want to call it, then I have done something wrong or my opponent has run away out of my reach, so I will stop and wait for the next clash. Then the 3 second rule starts anew. In my perfect world, only one 3 second count is required. That is what we train for.

I am moving. My opponent is moving. I want to move better.

nospam.

David Jamieson
05-15-2002, 06:12 AM
Hi No spam.

Contraction in range and anticipation rather than on contact.

Ultimately, it is better not to fight at all, but the hypothesis is in context to sparring or sport fighting.

Personally I would adhere to what you are saying and attempt to overwhelm and destroy the attack of whoever was putting me in a position of fighting at all. That's how I was trained in Kung Fu and in personal life experience.
IE: End this as rapidly as possible.

But we aren't always presented with people that have zero or less skill and to have the ability to withstand and survive the attack is as valuable as the ability to end it quickly. (yin/yang)

Rarely is a streetfight a sparring match and even more rarely is it strictly a question of gentlemanly fisticuffs. This is imho true.

Tightening the jaw and neck while rolling with a punch will give you that little extra you need to not be knocked unconcious. Hardening to withstand the strikes to the body will also aid in maintaining your wind if you should take one to the solar plexus.

Cutting off the power of your opponent by moving in instead of away will allow you to begin your attack from a position of strength.

So, I agree with you in context to the bitter reality of non sportive combat. But I also think that it doesn't hurt to know what to do to give yourself an edge when it is you at the disadvantage.

peace

nospam
05-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Indeed, my fellow Canadian. Isn't that what gung fu is about..how do the American's say - take it to the max :D

nospam.

Paul
05-16-2002, 04:12 AM
As much as I hate to agree with merryprankster, I think his answers are the ones that I would go with.

If you have enough time to see the blow coming because it was telegraphed and the adreline rush hasn't left you paralized then, wow, any number of things could happen.

If you catch it at the last second by instinct because of your training, then you ain't got a choice in how things happen it should be instincive. If it isn't and you fight someone on the street who has a bit of skill, then too bad for you.

Merryprankster
05-16-2002, 05:11 AM
Yeah Paul, god forbid you provide an explanation of how what you do is fundamentally different w/respect to power generation when discussing punching and comparing "apples to apples," instead of going from thread to thread making oblique references to "it all being boxing," when that wasn't at all what I said.

Geez, that'd be horrible, wouldn't it? You might even have to figure out what to say.

Paul
05-16-2002, 05:28 AM
LOL,

yeah that would be a *****.

It's all boxing. much easier.

hehe

Merryprankster
05-16-2002, 05:39 AM
My friend--you make it fundamentally IMPOSSIBLE to become frustrated with you.

EXCELLENT kung fu there bud--and that ain't no "mouth boxing!"

:D