PDA

View Full Version : All Ba-Gua Zhang Tournament

maoshan
05-13-2002, 09:52 PM
Peace all
Well, Here we go again, but this time all is correct.
For those that remember the last time I tried this I ran into a lot of pit falls. Insurance ETC…

But now that the Bull$hit is over, I can kick this off Officially.

The Ba-Gua Zhang research & Boxing Association In collaboration with YEE’S Hung Ga INTERNATIONAL.

Proudly presents

The first all Ba-Gua Zhang Tournament

September 28, 2002

To be held in conjunction with the annual Wong Fei hung tournament.

For those interested in the rest of the rules contact me at niwah64@hotmail.com

For now here’s the fighting and push hands rules. For future updates go to www.blacktaoist.com

A lot of ya’ll talk the talk but can ya walk the walk?

Peace
Maoshan

BaGuaZhang Continuous Fighting

Protection must be used for the head, chest, mouth, groin, and feet as well as shin pads. The use of Keno Gloves will be employed to enable competitors to use palm strikes. Divisions will be determined on the day of the competition. All bouts will be three two min rounds. Fighting time and the clock will stop as dictated by the referee. The better of one round of continuous full contact sparring will be the winner. The winner is declared by a majority vote by the referee and judges. Winner of the best 2 rounds wins the fight. The following actions are not acceptable and will either result in a break, warning, or disqualification:

Break
1. Head contact that may cause injury
2.Controlled, non-contact technique scored on the back
3.Competitor scores 3, quick unanswered techniques to the opponent
4.One or both competitors goes to the floor

Warning
1.Illegal techniques
2.Contact to a non-contact area
3.Excessive force (w/out malice or intent)
4.Failure to break on the call

Disqualification
1.If an injury occurs to an opponent as a result of a foul
2.Accumulating 4 warnings
3.Running out of the ring, second offense
4.Repeated and deliberately exposing of a foul area
5. Chinna
Immediate Disqualification
1.Deliberate excessive force/intent to injure
2.Deliberate fouling
3.Rude or belligerent behavior
4.Use of objectionable or abusive language by a competitor or by their school.

Legal contact areas: Chest, outside of thigh, outside of the shin, entire arm, and front and side of head gear)

Illegal Targets
1.Back and top of the head
2.Spine
3.Neck and throat
4.Entire knee and knee joint

Illegal Techniques
1.Knee strikes
2.Elbow strikes
3.Finger strikes
4.Joint locking or breaking attempts
5.Head butts
6.Biting
7.Groin
8.Inside of thigh
9.Shin, other than to check the leg only
10.Floor or ground fighting
11.Groin strikes

Legal/Illegal Techniques

#1. Competitors will stand facing each other about 4 feet apart.
#2. Both competitors Toe out with their left foot and step to their left with their right legs, and extend their right arms out toward each other. Competitors should now be in the traditional BaGuaZhang guard stance.
#3. Both Competitors take 8 steps around a circle. On the last step both competitors may attack utilizing BaGuaZhang techniques.

Important Point:

Opponents must use Ba-Gua style fighting. No Brawling, No Boxing, No Kickboxing. The goal here is to use Traditional BaGuaZhang with all it’s characteristics to win. If other than Classical Ba-Gua is used, you will receive one warning, on the second warning the other opponent wins. Period.

Allowed Techniques:
#1. Palm strikes and fist strikes allow to face and body.
#2. Lead leg Sweeping techniques as well as takedowns with the use of Kou Bu and Ba bu are allowed to throw their opponent to the ground.
#3. Kicking techniques are allowed to the side of head and body. Leg trapping is also allowed.
#4. Tui Shou (push hands)-stick and neutralize only long enough for an opening.
#5. Palm strikes to the side of head, the front of face mask (cheek area), front and side of body (collarbone down), the outside thigh and calf are allowed.
#6. Elbow and forearm techniques are allowed to strike only the body of the opponent (chest protector).
#7. Hooking the lead leg.

TECHNIQUES THAT ARE PROHIBITED

#1. No strikes are allowed to the eyes, throat, and testes.
#2. No strikes are allowed to the back of the skull or any back area of opponent.
#3. No neck strikes or strikes to the spinal vertebrae are allow.
#4. No strikes to the knees are allowed.
#5. No elbow or forearm techniques are allowed to strike the face, throat, neck, or any back area.

BaGuaZhang Push Hands Rules

Opponents touch at the wrist assuming the traditional stance.
Walk one full revolution and begin.
The goal is to uproot, push your opponent out of the circle, or trip the opponent making them fall.
Opponents must display clear Alignment, Kou Bu Ba Bu, and Sticking, wrapping and coiling.
The principle of Rise, Fall Drill and Overturn must be seen.
Continuous movement and change of tactics must be present.

Allowed

You can: Pull, Push, Sweep (the front leg), and trip.
Knee’s can be used to off set the opponent.

There will be two 2-minute rounds with a 1-minute rest period.

Other Divisions are:
Traditional forms and weapons - Beginners -Intermediate/Advanced
Ba-Gua self-defense.
Open forms and weapons. (Note: Free expression will be the main trait that is looked for.
How well the practitioner has embedded the principles into themselves. Ba-Gua is a Principle not a form. No one’s Ba-Gua is the same. Therefore, beyond the principles of the internal that we are all familiar with (Alignment, Etc.) there should be a presence of self, your personnel expression.
While we do have standard forms that we
Use as a base that is only the beginning.
Ba-Gua, because of its principles, techniques and expression of techniques Are endless. You will be judged on your creativity.The first all Ba-Gua Zhang Tournament

vingtsunstudent
05-14-2002, 12:03 AM
''A lot of ya’ll talk the talk but can ya walk the walk?''
wow, with all the rules & especially all the gear you have to wear i would be very suprised if you could even hear them talk let alone carry all that gear on them & expect them to really be able to walk an sort of walk.
but anyways good luck.
vts

black and blue
05-14-2002, 07:48 AM
So many rules - so much protection.

Talk the talk = muffled mumble
Walk the walk = eight steps... argh... just something else to try and remember. Most people will fall into their circle from confusion.

:D
:p

blacktaoist
05-14-2002, 01:13 PM
If it was me doing the Tournament, I just let you guys go at it full-contact with no kind of protection . But no matter where a martial artist go to compete at a martial Art tournament, you are going to find rules because of Insurance. I have compete at world renowned Kung Fu and Karate Tournaments with more rules then what maoshan have down, so you guys need to kill the bull$hit. Even Shou shou and koushu have more rules then I see what maoshan have down and they are full Contact events .

From my knowledge of this Ba Gua Zhang tournament the only protection is a light chest protector, because Elbow and forearm techniques are allowed to strike only the opponents body. Also this is not a real fight, as you should know tournament fighting is not real fighting, and that gos for any form of tournament fighting today, from light contact, full contact , to even groundfighting tournaments, they all have rules. Real fighting has no rules, real fighting is dirty and ugly, to the point where you don't give a $hit about your opponent.

Tournament is just a good tool, to learn and explore a few things about yourself, that only you will know, and help a little with your mindset and a few fighting techniques that you may find you may have to work on. Its also a good way to test your will, endurance and courage.

And many Ba Gua practitioners today just don't have the courage or warrior within theirself to step in a ring or compete at a Martial art tournaments. The most you see them do is internal forms or push hands, I myself only saw a few Ba Gua Zhang pratitioners ever try to utilize their Ba Gua in a martial art tournament and their were from Sifu Frank Allen school of Ba Gua Zhang in New York, I give these guys respect because they try. Trying is better then not to trying to learn about yourself at all.

Bottom line is Many Ba Gua practitioners up here on KFO talk theory, but many up here know they can't utilize what they claim they can do. Rules or no rules a Ba Gua practitice should be able to adapt to any situation, real fighting or tournament fighting situation. If you can't adapt then how can you say you know Ba Gua Zhang. Man most of These So Called Ba Gua people on KFO are full of $hit.

Bottom line real martial arts is about showing and not just talking theory and applications , and that gos for all skill levels. I hope to see some of you today Ba Gua Zhang warriors of the old tradition come to maoshan tournament and keep the tao real. I still have love for you Ba Gua theory heads, if fighting is not your thing, then you guys can play Ba Gua forms and push hands......LOL :D

Le nOObi
05-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Where is the tournament?

Shooter
05-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Best of luck with the tournament guys.

Phantom Menace
05-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey who gets to decide what "classic bagua" looks like? Will you check for lineages and papers?

Shin
05-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Why, having doubts?

uncle
05-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Good work,I don't believe many understand what kind of legalese redtape BS ,and insurance mumbo jumbo you've had to work through, myself included.Once again Good Work, and Good Luck, man I wish I could come down. regards Bob

razakdigital
05-14-2002, 08:13 PM
Maoshan,

I commend you on your effort with this tournament. You face some hurdles before and it seems like you beat them. I'd like to mention that there will be "haters" and people who make comments against such a tournament as the ones posted earlier. That is ok because you are doing the right thing! Pa Kua is becoming a popular art and here is an chance to bring Pa Kua practitioners together as one family. You would think that you would get some more respect at least for trying such a big tournament.

Good luck !

circle_walker
05-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Greetings, I'm new to this website, and to Ba gua Zhang. However, I looked high and low to find a competent instructor, and I quickly found that good information about Bagua is difficult to come by. We are all spread out, and I never expected to see an all Bagua Zhang tournament. I hope to see alot more Bagua related gatherings, and a growth in our artistic brotherhood.

vingtsunstudent
05-14-2002, 10:17 PM
yo blacktaoist & razak, take a chill pill, i was only playin'.
for guys who like to talk 'keep it real' & 'we train old school for real fighting' even you must see the humorus side of all that tournament stuff. if tourneys are your thing or the only way you have to gauge how well your training is goin', hell, even if you just think that they are BS but fun then by almeans enjoy them(i must admit they are not for me but then again having been king hit, headbutted, kicked, scratched/gauged & bitten i think they might be a bit soft for me- the idea of rules in any fight went out the window a long time ago for me)
i would like to add that i really do enjoy visiting your site & reading your ideas on martial arts as i am a practioner who has put what i have learnt to real usage( although it is not bagau but ving tsun it is the attitudes i think are the same).
i will however add that sometimes you come off a bit rude on here by thinking that you feel that nobody else trains with realism as the main objective.
once again, i have not meant to offend & am sorry if i did.
vts
ps BT i have the mighty bagau wooden man vids(by earle) & was wondering if you may like to swap some **** if you haven't seen them, if so send me a PM or e-mail

Xebsball
05-14-2002, 11:30 PM
Good idea for tournament, what i like especially is keeping the classic bagua style withouth kickboxing.

BTW, 28th sept is my birthday :D

black and blue
05-15-2002, 01:32 AM
Yep - only kidding. Respect to the organisers and esp. to those of you who are going to (as is always the case) eat some humble pie and discard egos.

Someone try to tape the event and post up some mpegs. I've seen very little Bagua - would love to see some more.

count
05-15-2002, 08:08 AM
As always, I applaud your efforts to promote baguazhang and popularize it for public consumption. I will pass this along to others in our group and in the area and if there is any way possible for me to be there, I will. Any word on other masters who might be in attendance?

razakdigital
05-15-2002, 08:54 AM
vingtsunstudent,

I didn't realize it was joke...sometimes when reading emails its easy to take emails the wrong way. Thanks for letting me know!

blacktaoist
05-15-2002, 09:39 AM
vingtsunstudent

BT)My post reply was only conforming to fact and truth about rules in today tournaments, I was just letting people on KFO know where I stand, Thats all.

for guys who like to talk 'keep it real' & 'we train old school for real fighting' even you must see the humorus side of all that tournament stuff. if tourneys are your thing or the only way you have to gauge how well your training is goin', hell, even if you just think that they are BS but fun then by almeans enjoy them(i must admit they are not for me but then again having been king hit, headbutted, kicked, scratched/gauged & bitten i think they might be a bit soft for me- the idea of rules in any fight went out the window a long time ago for me)

BT) One, I don't compete at tournments anymore, and two, tournments would be the last place for me to gauge my skill level. But anyway I know and have seen many so called hard code martial artists compete at light -contact Karate and kung fu tournment and get their ass hand to them.

So I don't see tournments all that bad, what a person have to look for is the skill level of the people competing in the event. I myself met many people from competing at tournments though the past years, that hook me up with a few good kung fu teachers, and have the same Martial arts veiwpoints as myself, so tournments have its good points for me in the past.

But the bottom line is, a person just have to establish realistic training goals in their martial arts training to excel in real combat or martial competition. (SPORT)

Like I said many people talk about they can do great things in the internal martial arts, then when its time to show, or they do compete at a martial art tournment and face an opponent, they most of the time get beat down, or so intimidated by facial expression of their opponent that they can't even move.

Its so sad that most people that practice the Martial arts love living a lie, or hiding behind their computers talking bull$hit, these kind of so called Martial artists will never find the true tao within theirself. They will always be fake with themself and people they met.

I myself is no internal master, I have got my asskick many times, And still do, But what puts me apart from most internal martial artist of today is I'm not hiding behind no computer, and two I keep $hit real. If other martials arts beat me, its all good in my book, I'll live.

I just pick myself up and walk the circle, and look for what I did wrong in my offensive and defensive techniques. So for me martial arts is about keeping it real, and the only way to establishing realistic training goals, is to first be real with yourself.

Peace

Life is not about learning about one self, life is about creating one self. :)

blacktaoist
05-20-2002, 09:20 AM
Le nOObi Where is the tournament?

BT) The tournment will be September 28, 2002 at:

Fairly ****erson University
At the Rophman Center
T-neck/Hackensack, NJ

Count, I hope to see you at maoshan tournament, If god willing, Because you know I have to see you in action......LOL As for the Ba Gua Zhang teachers that will be coiming, I don't know yet, Because maoshan is running around, talking to alot of internal practitioners that been doing tournaments for years,will be helping him pull this $hit off.

But I know there are going to be a few world renowned Ba Gua Zhang teachers there, most I can say are Chinese, and If I'm right your Sifu is one of the teachers maoshan is trying to get to come to his tournment.

Nexus
05-20-2002, 09:59 AM
Life is not about learning about one self, life is about creating one self.

Learning about oneself and creating one self are the same thing, just different perceptions of the process.

SanShou Guru
05-20-2002, 01:08 PM
TBT you stated that:

Even Shou shou and koushu have more rules then I see what maoshan have down and they are full Contact events .

and you would be right if you were right but once again you are wrong about the rules in San Shou.

ANY leg kick is legal, ANY throw that does not lad your opponent on his head is legal, ANY striking force in legal. Knee strikes are allowed in San Da rules that will be used at some events this year.

So any technique that does not involve a knee or elbow strike or a joint attack that intends to break the joint is pretty much legal.

This event has the most rules I have ever seen for a "Full" contact fighting event and it is the only one that I know that tells you how you have to fight. Would you really say to somebody "Even though you dominated the fight, those were not Bu Gua techniques so you forfeit"?

It sounds like a cool idea and a step up from freestyle moving push hands but do not make it out to be more serious than it is. But it is true you can't really have a "REAL" fighting event without somebody getting really injured.

blacktaoist
05-20-2002, 03:02 PM
what's Up SanShou Guru, How are you doing?

First of All, this is not a professional full contact event. 2. I'm not going to argue over some rules. If people come, then they come, if not its not going to stop the show.

SanShou Guru)"Even though you dominated the fight, those were not Bu Gua techniques so you forfeit"?

Bt) what Moshan is looking for is technique, not streetfighting or kickboxing, like most martial art tournament fighting events. And you know most internal pratitioners just what to test themself not ,kill each other.

SanShou Guru)Knee strikes are allowed in San Da rules that will be used at some events this year.So any technique that does not involve a knee or So any technique that does not involve a knee or elbow strike or a joint attack that intends to break the joint is pretty much legal.

As I said today, right now there are no Knee strikes allowed or elbow strikes in san Shou fighting Events. and I have footage of USA san Shou fighting events, As well as China footage of their san shou events. and they don't utilize any of the above. And as for me being wrong about the San Shou, Maybe you are right, After all san Shou is your thing not mines. But you Guys do have a lot of rules, in my opinion.

Tell you what , why don't you post the rules, That way people can see just how many rules you San Shou Guys have. And I still say, You guys have more rules then what moshan have down.

Anyway How everything with you on your End? You know practice, life....ect. Whats up with your team. By the I'm training a few guys, I what to know maybe we can hook something up, amateur event, My boys fight your boys.

Your guys can use they san Shou techniques, and my boys can use their Ba Gua Zhang, palms allowed ,Knee strikes and elbow strikes, throws , takedowns (full contact) we can make it a Ba Gua vs San Shou kind of thing.

E-mail me and let me know whats up.

Peace.

SanShou Guru
05-20-2002, 08:10 PM
I think the rules for both Pro and Am as well as San Da can be found on the SanShou.org web page.

I believe they will be using San Da rules for the Super Fights in New Orleans at Shawn Lui's event and knee strikes will be allowed. Anything you have on tape that is San Shou will not have any knee strikes, they have only been doing it In the King of Sanda Events in China from what I understand.

We are doing well up here in Boston but are numbers are up and down as we get the college turnover. We have a ton of events on the calendar and hope to get some fighting in the NY area this summer. They were trying to get a MT fighter for Marvin for a USKBA event in Brooklyn a while back but could not find anybody in time. We are pretty busy but Ross may hold a San Shou camp later this year at his new school and we would probably have people down for that so maybe we could hook up then.

I realize I should have told you about the Push Hands tournament we had last month with Don Miller and Pompi but things got busy putting it together and I forgot to email you. It was Push Hands and Tai Chi only event.

maoshan
05-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Sanshou Guru

What is your point in doing this? Why are you popping this junk about my rules? First this comes from on high. I have little control of it.
This event has the most rules I have ever seen for a "Full" contact fighting event and it is the only one that I know that tells you how you have to fight. Would you really say to somebody "Even though you dominated the fight, those were not Bu Gua techniques so you forfeit"?

One, this is not a full contact event. That’s another reason for all the protection and rules.
As for telling them how to fight, this is an all Ba-Gua event period!
All fighting is to be done in the traditional method. The title of the event should have told you this. This isn’t an open tournament. It’s devoted totally to Ba-Gua.
Also, there’s no such thing as “those were not Bu Gua techniques “.
You know nothing about Ba-Gua. Ba-Gua is a principle, not a style of standardized forms. Nobody’s Ba-Gua is the same. Stick with what you know, and that’s sport Sanshou.

Maoshan

TenTigers
05-23-2002, 07:16 PM
Guru, first, let me preface by saying that I am not jumping onyou (like I'm sure the next dozen posts will;-) BUT...Isn't that kinda like saying if a football player played softball with you and tackled you, he can still win? The problem I think we are all facing in Kung-Fu is that in tournaments, the only thing that looks like Kung-Fu in sparring matches are their T-Shirts. Whether it's Hung-Ga, Wing Chun or Bagua, everyone is kickboxing. Too many people are doing Kung-Fu forms but when they fight, they may as well have been in an open Karate tournament. Bagua guys should be circling, and utilizing their changing footwork and palms, etc, Wing Chun guys should at least be rat-stepping and throwing chain punches, Hung-Ga and Choy Li Fut guys should at least be throwing sow choy, cup choy, and gwa choy, and some of the signature techniques that make up their individual styles. I think Maoshan should be applauded for his effort. I look at it as a friendly way to get together and play your Kung-Fu, and use the techniques that you're supposed to be practicing. This is just a start, and in its embryonic stage. It's about time, isn't it?(now, if I can just hide my dang Judges badge and sneak on over...DF and Pedro, you didn't see this, ok? ;-)-Rik

blacktaoist
05-27-2002, 07:36 AM
Good post ten tiger. hope to see you at the tournament.

Guys here are some more information that maoshan sent me:

Greetings

This tournament is the first of its kind, in it not only being the first all BaGuaZhang competition in the west, but also the rules.

The Forms Divisions: The traditional and weapons forms will be judged on the principles, characteristics and execution of BaGuaZhang. The styles of Ba-Gua vary quite a bit but generally they fall into one of or as a combination of these schools:

Yin Fu

Cheng Ting Hua

Gao yi Sheng

Chiang Yung Qiao

The open Divisions: The open is a special division. Beginners can do, what are considered rare and unknown forms. Judging is the same as the traditional forms.

But, the Inter/Advanced div. must show creativity. No standard system form is allowed. Self-expression of the principles and techniques (of practitioners particular style) in a traditional manner are what is being judged. Open forms and weapons. Free expression will be the main trait that is looked for.
How well the practitioner has embedded the principles into themselves. Ba-Gua is a Principle not a form. No one’s Ba-Gua is the same. Therefore, beyond the principles of the internal that we are all familiar with (Alignment, Etc.) there should be a presence of self, your own personnel expression.
While we do have standard forms that we
utilize as a base, Ba Gua forms are only the beginning.
Ba-Gua, because of its principles, techniques and expression of techniques Are endless. You will be judged on your creativity.

Continuous: The rules have already been posted.

What must be made clear is that all fighting is to be done in the classical way, no Boxing, Brawling or Kick boxing. Traditional fighting only. Because of the added use of Kenpo gloves, the Palm strikes can be employed. Warning: anyone caught using malicious techniques will automatically forfeit the match.

Remember, All fighting is to be done from the circle. Either attacking through the center or defending or redirecting on the circle.

Push Hands: The rules have been posted on BlackTaoist.com. The emphasis on is on Pushing, Pulling, Redirecting and Tripping.

The methods used to achieve these goals will vary according to the competitor. As long as principles and methods of Ba-Gua present.

Traditional Self Defense: This speaks for it self. Creativity and execution will count here.

Again I cannot emphasis enough that this is a traditional tournament. The goal is to raise the standard of the level of skill in the practitioners here in the west. Traditional methods help us in getting true insight to what we do, Power development, Timing, Sensitivity, Execution of Techniques, ETC.

I hope Traditional practitioners as well as all lovers of Ba-Gua will join me in this. The skill level of all kung fu in the west has to raise. Hopefully this one small step toward getting there.

Peace.

B.C. Hill Bey aka. Maoshan

Director: Ba-Gua Zhang Research & boxing Association

blacktaoist
05-27-2002, 07:40 AM
First All BaGuaZhang Tournament

Registration Form

Cash or Postal Money Order ONLY, made payable to B.C. Hill Bey

Mail to: Ba-Gua Zhang Research & Boxing Association. 204 S. Wilbur Ave Syracuse N.Y. 13204

Name: Full Address

Date of Birth: Ht: Wt: Age: Street City State, Zip

# Of Years of Training: Sifu's Name: School's Name:

Current Schools Address:

Traditional Forms Open Forms Weapons Forms Wushu

All Levels All Levels

Men - Beg Int Adv Beg Int Adv Beg Int Adv Beg Int Adv

Women- Beg Int Adv Beg Int Adv Beg Int Adv Beg Int Adv

Open (Music Allowed) Fighting Sets (2men & up)

Beg Int/Adv Beg Int/Adv._______

Push Hands

Men LW MW HW.

Women All Wts

Continuous Fighting

Men (17&Up) - Beginner LW MW___ HW____

Men - Intermediate LW MW HW

Men - Advanced LW MW HW

Women (17&Up) - Beginner LW MW HW_____

Women - Intermediate LW_____MW_____HW______

Women - Advanced LW MW_____HW______

Traditional Self Defense

All Levels_____

Entry Fees: Pre-Reg. (by 9/08/02) $50.00 first 2 events/$5.00 ea. add'l

At the door $55.00 first event / $5.00 ea. add'l

circle_walker
05-27-2002, 05:01 PM
For the sake of everyone's conveinence, would ya'll mind letting us know more about the sparring gear required? I was looking around the internet breifly, and the only "Kenpo" gloves I found were the "Jeet Kune Do" style that did not have any padding in the palm area. Not to mention costing $60.00. In the hopes that people don't go buying expensive gear that they can't use, would you all mind giving us a link to a good supplier that has the required gear? I don't know if I'll be able to make it, but this hurdle will affect alot of competetors I would imagine. Thanks.

blacktaoist
05-27-2002, 08:06 PM
For the sake of everyone's conveinence, would ya'll mind letting us know more about the sparring gear required? I was looking around the internet breifly, and the only "Kenpo" gloves I found were the "Jeet Kune Do" style that did not have any padding in the palm area. Not to mention costing $60.00.

Form the information I got from maoshan, you don't have to wear just kenpo gloves. You can use other kinds of gloves. But they have to be open finger gloves. You can use proforce fingerless grappling gloves #8244 $19.95 pr. you can find them at www.awma.com (http://)

The proforce gloves are smaller in size, and a let easy to utilize many palm techniques. I have a pair myself that I use for sparring.

As for sparring gear you will need: headgear,mouthguard, hand gloves, foot wear(kicks) and cup. the tournament will supply the chestguard.

maoshan
05-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Peace All.

circle_walker,

The Proforce Gloves that my brother mentioned are the way to go.
Gloves with real thick padding at the palm would have to be custom made.
This is why a Chest protector is part of the EQ reqiurment.

These gloves are not hard to find. They were in use before they became popular.

Peace
Maoshan

circle_walker
05-28-2002, 12:54 PM
Like I said, it was a breif internet search. However, I figured that someone should ask now rather than be suprised later. Thankyou both again, that was helpful.

blacktaoist
06-06-2002, 07:04 AM
Update:

Some of the Ba Gua Zhang masters that will be there are:

Jason Tsou

Liang Qiang-Ya

Victor Fu

Nick Gracinin

Jerry Allen Johnson

Frank Allen

John Painter

Other hopefuls are:

Chen Xiao Ping

Yang Fu Kui

Adam Hsu

Johnny Kwan Ming Lee

Li Tai Liang

Jiang Hao Quan

Tim Cartmill

Jane Yao

Bao Sim mark

Albert Liu

John Bracy

If I’ve left some one out of the invite list please let me know.

This Tournament is for the promotion of Ba-Gua. All Practitioners are asked to attend. All styles Of Ba-Gua share the same principles

So please attend.

Maoshan

Spirit Writer
06-06-2002, 07:41 AM
As long as its not "point sparring", a tournament can be a test of skill. Rules don't matter if everyone plays by the same rules. So no breaking knees. Big geal. If we played a game of basketball with only three men each, its not a "real" game, but will not the better team still win?

count
06-06-2002, 08:14 AM
Off hand, two other New Yorkers, David Bond Chan and Dr. Su Yu Chang and how about He Jing Han from Taiwan? Wai Lun Choi from Chicago. Vince Black from AZ. If I think of more I'll let you know.;)

blacktaoist
06-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Hey Count, I only post the information I get from maoshan. I do know there are going to be Ba Gua Zhang teachers that are not that well renowned, that will be at the tournment, That are very good in utilizing Ba Gua Zhang in combat.

$hit there are a lot of Ba gua Zhang teachers names left out, The first 7 Ba Gua teachers name on that list are the people that maoshan know are coming. And even then there are still a few Ba Gua teachers names he for got to put that will be there. Sifu Rudy Curry Jr. (all Ba Gua Combat)Sifu Roosevelt Gainey a very powerful Ba Gua Chi Kung master and Top rate Ba gua Zhang figher also will be there.

As for Master David Bond Chan, I know him very well. I 'm such he come if I ask him.

maoshan
06-06-2002, 09:42 PM
Peace All

Check this out,

As my Brother mentioned, Some names might have been left out
of this priliminary list. That's not to slight any one. If you know of any Ba-Gua practitioners pass the info on to them.
This is for the promotion of Ba-Gua in its true form. Not as a wierd esoteric dance for health. I'm hopeing all true practitioners will join me in this indever. A lot of martial Artist and laymen still are still under the impression that all Ba-Gua does is walk around thier opponents to make them dizzy. Thats a diss and a half.
Let me know what you think.

peace Maoshan

Chris McKinley
06-06-2002, 11:15 PM
****, you guys make it REALLY hard not to go for a Bagua practitioner, don't you? :)

Ka
06-07-2002, 05:55 PM
I think I understand you wanting to keep this purely BGZ and I believe it would form an interesting event(based on the interpartation of each individual) however would there be a place for competition involving other styles or perhaps just internal stlyes etc?