PDA

View Full Version : OT. Just had an earthquake here.

Cody
05-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Sh*t, I'm a wreck. been having problems with Internet connection. now I know why. I really don't like it when things shake rattle and roll and the roof vibrates so, it sounds like a busload of overweight squirrels are have a ballet lesson.
no damage. I'm okay. jsut freaking.
cody

Stacey
05-13-2002, 10:14 PM
One on the East coast not too long ago...I saw a thing on the Discovery channel about a Hawaiian guy using traditional methods who can predict earthquakes based on solar eclipses.

He's been off seven minutes in his predictions when the show aired.

Cody
05-13-2002, 10:22 PM
They say some critters are good predictors too. It's going to be a long night. I don't do well with aftershocks.

When I first visited the west coast in, I guess it was 1989, August, it was the shake and bake just prior to a big one. I've felt a couple of times a shock go up my spine when I was seated, from a quake and the clothes shaking in the closet like a ghost was going thru them looking for a new wardrobe. But, I've never heard the roof like that. I think I need to turn on the news and find out what the prognosis is on this one. thanks for writing back.

Cody

joedoe
05-13-2002, 10:40 PM
D@mn. Hope everyone is OK.

Cody
05-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Everyone seems to be okay. no reported injuries or major damage. It was a 5.2 just outside of Gilroy, Ca. Was felt for quite a distance though.

Cody

Qi dup
05-13-2002, 11:02 PM
Glad your ok. they where talking about it durring the game in san jose. I guess it happened durring the game. Do you ive by there?

Cody
05-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Close enough. In the same county. There's a hockey game in San Jose and a baseball game at Pac Bell. People are really getting their money's worth, just in case the game and the hot dogs weren't enough.

Cody

wushu chik
05-13-2002, 11:11 PM
I would rather have an earthquake than a tornao anyday Cody! I am glad you are ok, and everything is fine!! Just expect a few rollers thru the night! Hey, was it jolting or rolling???

~Wen~

Cody
05-13-2002, 11:29 PM
From what I heard on the news, cause they were doing phone interviews, it depended on where you were.
I've never felt a rolling one. I know the jolts well. This was neither. It was a vibration, so strong that it sounded like something was jumping on the roof. During the phone interviews, other people reported the same thing. A heavy piece of glass art that hangs by the window (catches the light) was shaking. It's attached to the ceiling. But nothing fell off shelves here. I had a nice tangerine candle going and put it out just in case.

Never been in a tornado. I can see myself digging like a wolverine in that situation. But, there were some around when I was in the midwest. The sky turned this greenish. everyone was outside looking at it. Closest I got.

Cody

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-14-2002, 12:10 AM
i dont believe in earth quakes.

Cody
05-14-2002, 01:36 AM
How about the little pens that draw spikes like mad on the paper?

getting sleepy, finally
Cody

jon
05-14-2002, 01:44 AM
Glad to hear your ok cody.

Ive been lucky so far with natural disasters, most of my problems seem to be of my own design :(

Hope there is no more shakes and you sleep easy.

Cody
05-14-2002, 02:03 AM
Hi jon,

I've done pretty all right with nature too.
As far as the other, we're both on the same river and know the rapids well. :(
I'm a good listener.

Everything seems steady. maybe I'll be able to sleep.

Cody

dezhen2001
05-14-2002, 04:06 AM
wow - glad everything's ok! :)
we haven't had any in the UK, except a tiny one some years ago i think...? I was just a kid then though.

Jon - how many of us are up that same creek! U would think someone would have remembered a paddle huh! :D I hope everything sorts itself out, and given time it will i'm sure :)

david

guohuen
05-14-2002, 07:10 AM
Glad your OK Cody. The one we had here in the east was a 5.1. Woke me up on one of the rare mornings I was sleeping in.

Cody
05-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Everything feels normal again. well, relatively. :p

dezhen2001, oh, there are paddles. They're just crazyglued to the bottom of the boat, outside bottom.

Stumblefist, I remember reading about Taiwan earthquakes. Thing about this one is that I thought there was a chase (police?) on the roof. It didn't occur to me that it was a quake until I saw the glass art swaying in the kitchen. A neighbor in another building said it sounded like someone was pounding on his door. Weird.

guohuen, thanks. safe and sound here. I remember one from back east too. Woke me up. The bed was rocking, bouncing.

thanks guys and gals,

Cody

kungfuyou
05-14-2002, 02:06 PM
I'm not that far from Gilroy either, it felt more like a rolling sensation than a shaking, but I was further away!!

Wasn't that bad for me, I was just looking at the monitor and noticed it bouncing, then I felt dizzy for a second. Thought I had been on the PC for WAY TOO LONG before I realized it was an earthquake!! :)

Cody
05-14-2002, 02:32 PM
kungfuyou, ah, like being on an escalator in need of repair. Haven't experienced that. How do you do at sea? :p

Cody

kungfuyou
05-14-2002, 02:39 PM
LOL...exactly!!

I don't mind the sea, I have the right pair of legs for it!! ;)

Silumkid
05-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Yeah that was crazy huh? I actually heard it before I felt it...thought my neighbors were dragging something heavy upstairs and got up to see if they needed help. Then everything started swaying. I had the passing thought, "I missed the Loma Preita, I missed the Northridge....this better not be third times the charm!"

Luck holding out so far. :cool:

My cats predicted nothing, BTW. They feaked out afterwards though....Vinnie kept staring at the door like the ATF was gonna bust through!

Cody
05-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Silumkid, yes, it was strange. I ran outside, looking for a herd of cats or maybe something more serious on the roof, but there was nothing. And, the sounds had stopped. The swaying of the glass decoration by the window tipped me off.

So, I heard stomping/running sounds on roof; a neighbor heard banging on his door, and you envisioned another scenario -- all of these brought about by sound. But sound in different areas. I don't understand this.

Glad you and the kitties are okay.

take care,
Cody