PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Li

yutyeesam
05-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Does anyone know of any sites that can give me some in-depth info on Bruce Li (Ho Tsung Tao)? I'm turning into a big fan of his.

After watching countless hours watching Jackie and Jet, Bruce Li has a rawness and an attitude and "emotional content" that neither Jackie nor Jet have, IMO.

His facial expressions are awesome. During fights, Jet has blandness, Jackie has desperation, others are all about the grunting look. Bruce Li's is varied from calm, to surprised, to suspicious, to supressed anger, to explosion, to calm again.

Okay, so he's imitating Bruce Lee, but that can be a good thing.

Jimbo
05-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Bruce Li is interviewed in a video called Top Fighter, along with several other old-school kung fu movie stars. He was a pretty good star, IMO, although among many he has a bad reputation due to his Bruce Lee impersonations. Some of his films are really bad, but he did make some that are quite good.

I think his best films are The Three Avengers (a.k.a. The Lama Avenger), and Revenge of the Patriots. He did not really imitate Bruce Lee in either of these, and he admitted he really didn't like imitating Lee or being called Bruce Li.

Jim

Silumkid
05-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Jet Li has blandness? Have you not seen Bodyguard from Beijing or High Risk? How about My Father is a Hero?

Oh well...to each their own.

HuangKaiVun
05-18-2002, 09:05 AM
I am also a big fan of Bruce Li (Ho Tsung Tao).

This guy has tons of real martial arts talent. In the beginning of his Bruce Lee fantasy movie, he does Wing Chun with Yip Chun (playing his father). Ho looks better than Yip does.

To my Chinese eyes, Ho Tsung Tao doesn't look anything like Bruce Lee. It would be like taking Will Smith and saying he looks like Muhammad Ali. Nor do I feel that he imitates Bruce Lee all that much, even in that Bruce Lee movie he did.

I've seen Ho Tsung Tao in other movies, and he's done a wonderful job in all of them. He's got very good Tae Kwon Do kicking skills and terrific kung fu hand skills. I don't think he's a "fighter", but he's certainly a marvelous movie fighter.

yutyeesam
05-20-2002, 01:07 AM
Ho Tsung Tao is my newest Kung-Fu movie hero. I've always thought he was okay, but now I really appreciate him. He uses simple techniques, and he's not even lightning fast. It is his style that really makes the power in his performance.

I found a "fanzine" site on him at:
http://www.geocities.com/many_bruces/brucelizine/

In an era of wushu-ized martial arts moviemaking, watching Bruce Li is a refreshing return to the basics. I'd like to see another star like this emerge. Maybe Ernie Reyes Jr.?