PDA

View Full Version : American Shaolin

yutyeesam
05-14-2002, 08:06 AM
I just saw this hilarious movie called "American Shaolin." It is about an American schmo who demands to be a Shaolin monk.

I'm a bit out of the loop on this Shaolin stuff. I have heard negative things about "Temple Kung-Fu" I think it is called, because it seems that it is another McDonalidization of CMA. I have a feeling this is what they were doing in the movie, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone explain what Temple Kung-Fu is?

Thanks!

anton
05-14-2002, 11:09 PM
Might wanna do a search on the KungFu forum. There's been several threads about it and there's at least one person that used to train with Temple Kung Fu. The dude that runs it (now calls himself "His Holiness Dalai somethingorother") used to claim that he trained at the shaolin temple, but in court was forced to admit that he had never been to China (he also admitted it was a cult - and avoided answering a whole bunch of questions). His schools charge enormous fees, including extra fees if you want to join the "sparring club". His lineage is very shady and I have not seen anyone say the Chinese name of the system he claims to be a master of..... basically its a bigtime McKwoon.

dezhen2001
05-15-2002, 01:59 AM
It wasn't 'Temple Kung Fu', the movie was choreographed by Corey Yuen i think? Looked more like some type of gong fu... mixed in with some Wushu.

funny movie though :)

david