PDA

View Full Version : Getting mad during sparring

Badger
05-14-2002, 09:47 AM
Last night I accidently hit my training partner with a couple of headbutts while doing bodywork. Not full fledged more like head "bumps" since we were punching in-close.

He got pretty mad & started trying to punches full force to the face which I was lucky enough to block.

Do you think he was justified in trying to knock my block off???

I have a bad temper but I never lose it while sparring or bodywork unless someone is really trying to hurt me.
Always figured bumps & bruises were part of the game. Accidents happen. Nothing personal.

What do you think?????

Badger

Water Dragon
05-14-2002, 09:49 AM
Look Dude,
I already told you I was sorry about 5 times. I have a lot of personal things going on right now. Get over it already :mad:

ewallace
05-14-2002, 09:51 AM
Absolutely unjustified. If you don't want to be hit, don't fight. 'Nuff said.

Ryu
05-14-2002, 09:55 AM
Sounds like the "bumps" were just an accident.
You get hit when you spar. If you don't like it don't do it. Getting mad during sparring is a sign of weakness in my opinion, unless you know without a doubt the person is purposely trying to hurt you. No he wasn't justified.

Though controlled anger can be a great training tool.

Ryu

red5angel
05-14-2002, 09:57 AM
I would agree with Ewallace. Dont bring emotion into the ring, if you dont have the control over them you wont have control over your body either. Besides as far as I am concerned it is just bad form. If something is ****ing you off say so.

GLW
05-14-2002, 10:39 AM
Red is on the money there....

Anger and losing it is the worst thng you can do on the street or in the ring. Anger makes you stronger - sure...but you also lose a bit of judgement and get reckless and sloppy. A cool, calculating head behind some good weapons will take you out that way.

One of the things that not everyone trains - but should - dealing with the aggressive fighter who crowds you, rushes you, presses in on you. If you can deal with this, then you can probably deal with the angry fighter because this is what they do. BUT....they make mistakes and over committ...and if you can deal with the first, you can capitalize on the mistakes.

In sparring, it may appear that they are doing better. That is easy if the other guy is following the rules and you are angry. Sure, you will get in some hard shots and the other guy MAY get hurt. But, what happens if the other guy takes it to the same level of intensity but with a cool head....usually a totally different story.

Anger and loss of control - never a good thing when fighting.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-14-2002, 10:39 AM
i don't get mad, but sometimes i still tense up. especially if i know sifu is watching. i guess im just a worthless fu.cking pu.ssy.

mortal
05-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Losing your temper is a sign of weakness in any arena.

David Jamieson
05-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Anger is a bane to the martial artist.
One of your greatest foes.

peace

JusticeZero
05-14-2002, 12:56 PM
If you're in a sparring session and you get mad and start acting torked off? You've lost. You might as well have just been hit by a throw that dropped you on your back completely outside of the ring, because if you got hit by a massive technique that you had to totally walk into, at least you have some excuse. Bad personal problems are no excuse. If you've got issues, walk off the floor and sit down and don't get up again until the sparring section is done.

David Jamieson
05-14-2002, 01:38 PM
...which leads to the "I'm a believer" post which leads to twinkies.

Twinkies are bad for you.

peace

yenhoi
05-14-2002, 01:44 PM
Anger is a tool.
So are you! :D

respectred
05-14-2002, 02:29 PM
oh my!

i have this friend, he's psycho, i swear. i had him and another one of my friends over and we split up and started to box just for the hell of it, and this nut cannot control himself! my friend w/ no MA experience hit him in the head a couple times, and he went absolutely insane, he tried to lock up and grapple w/ him and take him down and such, and i could swear he was literally trying to kill him, no joke either. they're good friends, but he just gets in this rage and he goes insane and he doesn't stop until i have to physically separate him from my other helpless friend. you see his face go all twisted and stuff like he's evil, it's scary! no more sparring for him!

chingei
05-14-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Badger
[B]

He got pretty mad & started trying to punches full force to the face B]

isn't that the idea?

Badger
05-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Not during bodywork. Face is off limits...full-body shots only.

I felt bad about the accidental headbutts...but Ive had the same happen to me & didnt go trying to clock anyone.

Kinda confused about this though..hes a good guy & great kickboxer & has done Martial Arts for about 30 years. I thought he would know better.

Badger

norther practitioner
05-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Control is the name of the game. You can feal anger, if you don't, well there might be something wrong with you, go see a psychiatrist or something. To be able to use anger and not reach rage is a big part of ma. IMO this is one of the reasons that sparring is good practice.

Midnight Oil
05-14-2002, 03:43 PM
I think this may be the first time I've ever seen so members of this forum in agreement with one another. :eek:

Grappling-Insanity
05-14-2002, 04:59 PM
Never got angry in sparring really, more of a good shot sentiment comes from me. However, in the street I always get mad and I dont think I can help it.