PDA

View Full Version : Question for BJJ & ground wrestlers.

Shadow Dragon
05-14-2002, 07:31 PM
Hiya.

Quick question to the BJJ and ground grappling crowd.
How many of you have used those skills successful outside your place of training and competitions.

By this I mean real fights in a pub, against multiple opponents, or similar, or how many fights are you aware of where ground fighting made a big difference.
Peace.

Merryprankster
05-14-2002, 08:24 PM
In high school, some guy and I got into an argument, and he swung at me. I shot in for a double and dropped him. The teacher broke it up.

Ryu
05-14-2002, 10:36 PM
Used grappling against two individuals trying to rough me up and handcuff me on the ground for some "hazing" garbage that was disgusting. Both men were bigger then I was, but my grappling knowledge allowed me to slam one of them, and get back to my feet during the grappling itself.

Another time was against a guy at work who got mad at me because he couldn't stop my double leg takedown. He had wanted me to show it to him because he had "taken out lots of wrestlers" So when I kept taking him down he finally got mad tried to pull my head off down there. I got mount, broke his hold, and threatened a beating and he quit.

Those two were my most recent, and during my "adult" life.

Ryu

KnightSabre
05-15-2002, 01:10 AM
I've used my ground fighting in real situations far more successfully than I was able to use my 5 years of kung fu training.

Once at a party two drunk guys in a corridor came at me aggressively,I spun the closest one arround and took his back taking him down,he coverred me with his body and his buddy was unable to get to me,he backed off when he saw his friend passing out.

Another time in a rugby match I got into a fight with a 6ft6 309 pound foreward,I ducked under his hook and took him down,got knee on stomach position and then choked him out with a forearm,shirt choke.

I've also been in a NHB match with a 12 year Ninjitsu instructor and won with mounted punches in under a minute.

For real situations even though I'm cross trained I trust my BJJ like no other.

scotty1
05-15-2002, 01:12 AM
"Used grappling against two individuals trying to rough me up and handcuff me on the ground for some "hazing" garbage that was disgusting."

Can you explain that last part? Two guys were trying to handcuff you to do something wit some rubbish? WTF? :) :confused:

apoweyn
05-15-2002, 06:53 AM
scotty,

if you're joking, i'm about to make a complete tool of myself. if not, here goes:

'hazing' garbage doesn't have anything to do with rubbish. hazing describes these weird initiation rites that get tossed around in college fraternities, the naval academy, and other such places. essentially, it's an institution for hammering on the 'new kids' until their accepted into the fold.

sounds pretty daft to me too, ryu.

stuart b.

Dark Knight
05-15-2002, 08:28 AM
"I've also been in a NHB match with a 12 year Ninjitsu instructor and won with mounted punches in under a minute. "

Had he been able to use his "Secret" Ninja techniques you would have been done for. But He is forbidden from showing them in public.

chingei
05-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Shadow Dragon
Hiya.

Quick question to the BJJ and ground grappling crowd.
How many of you have used those skills successful outside your place of training and competitions.

By this I mean real fights in a pub, against multiple opponents, or similar, or how many fights are you aware of where ground fighting made a big difference.
Peace.

in every beef I've been in.

Dark Knight
05-15-2002, 08:33 AM
I had a kickboxer want to find out if he could keep me from taking him down. He went down fast and into a submission.

In the Military I have had a few people want to find out if they could keep me from putting them into a lock. (Untrained fighters)

wiz cool c
05-15-2002, 09:05 AM
knightsabre what was the ninjutsu instructors name?

DragonzRage
05-15-2002, 02:13 PM
Ok, so I was cruising around the LA area in a car with Denzel Washington and as we pass this alley, I see a young woman being pushed to the ground and smothered by an assailant! I yell for Denzel to stop the car and I run at full speed into the alley, with my gun drawn. That was foolish of me, for as I approach the scene the assailant's accomplice jumps from behind a dumpster behind me and grabs me! I lose my gun and the two hoodlums start pummeling me. I manage to kick one of them away and then bring the other guy down, putting him in a choke. The first guy gets up and starts kicking me, but its not enough to make me let go. The other guy goes limp, choked out, and then i quickly turn around to the guy kicking me and execute a single leg takedown, get mount and punch the crap out of him. By this time Denzel is just standing there and I am so angry at him for not giving me a hand! I wanted to arrest them but Denzel wouldn't let me, but at least i saved the girl from being raped. Anyways, that's my story :D

Now lemme ask you, how many real fights have you used YOUR training, whatever the hell it is you train in? And just how big a difference did YOUR training make? Multiple attacker scenarios etc etc etc? No, lemme guess: Some guy comes within an arms reach distance of you and points a gun directly at your face, at which time you expertly disarm him and unleash animal fist fury upon him right? Or wait, a gang of ten (or was it 20?) armed with bats, chains, broken bottles, knives and nunchuks randomly assault you and you managed to kick and punch your way out like Jet Li coming out with nothing more than a bruised knee, right? C'mon you know all there is to know about streetfighting and "realistic" training so I know you have some stories for us.

Water Dragon
05-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Training Day phuckin' rocked!!!!!

Xebsball
05-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Hello, welcome to the KFO main forum, the CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS forum.

Ryu
05-15-2002, 09:45 PM
"Can you explain that last part? Two guys were trying to handcuff you to do something wit some rubbish? WTF?"

You had a ;) there, so I'm guessing you're just kidding around. :D
But yeah, "hazing" is basically an "initiation" rite that usually centers on humiliation, degredation, pain, and other wonderful things. :rolleyes:

Ryu

scotty1
05-16-2002, 01:43 AM
No dude, no ;) just a :) and a :confused:

I thought 'hazing' was some kind of verb (sorry, doing a TEFL course soon, been revising) and you were being made to do it to some rubbish.

But no, cross cultural mix up. :D

Funny.

Dragonzrage - think you got his measure huh? ;)

KnightSabre
05-17-2002, 12:28 AM
wiz cool,

Not sure what his name is but he was on tv a few months back
claiming he could teach people how to fight effectively in NHB matches and also defend themeselves in the street.

It was on tv that he says he's been training Ninjitsu for 12 yeras and has a school with more than 50 students.

Just before I fought him my instructor told me that he is a Ninjitsu instructor but I had no idea what rank or how long he had been training.

Anywayz my 5 years of BJJ/Muay Thai was too much for his 12 years of Ninjitsu.
Also I'm 6'1 and weighed 210 for the fight.
He's about 6'2 and weighed in at 234.