PDA

View Full Version : Some describe the famous "lop sao" drill to me

IronFist
05-14-2002, 08:29 PM
I know what a lop sao block (or grab or technique or whatever you want to call it) is, but what's the lop sao drill that i see and hear about?

Help me out. I actually have someone to train WC with this summer!!

Hopefully.

Yeah!

IronFist

Sabu
05-14-2002, 08:48 PM
Well.... You take your lap, and then you take your sau... It's quite simple you see.

IronFist
05-14-2002, 09:30 PM
That was so helpful.

IronFist

OdderMensch
05-14-2002, 11:05 PM
there is an example on (i belive) my Sifu's "Chum Kui" tape (tape II, Wing Chun for Combat)

basicly its a partnerd exercise. Both people set up roughly arms length away. You settle into a YCKM that both stance turn toward each other (to your right, to his left) one personpunchs, the other "stops" that with bong sau.

the person useing the bong then performs a "lap da" lap and punch. The person now being punched responds with his own bong sau.

he then peroms lap da and the cycle continues.

later you learn changes so that you work both arms.

good luck on getting a partner.

Wingman
05-14-2002, 11:29 PM
It's quite hard to describe a drill with just words, but I'll give it a try.

"A" executes a left punch. "B" counters with a right bong sao. B's left hand grabs (lop sao) A's left hand. "B" rolls up his right arm and executes either a back fist or a straight punch with his right arm. "A" counters with a left bong sao. "A" then executes a lop sao, rolls his bong sao and punches "B". The drill continues with each partner alternately defending with a bong sao and attacking with lop sao and punch.

Hope that helps..

yuanfen
05-14-2002, 11:55 PM
Where angels fear to tread!!

stuartm
05-15-2002, 02:39 AM
Ironfist,

I think wingchun.org.uk has an animated gif of the laap sau drill. Why hasnt your sifu shown you - this is a fundamental drill in every lineage and is kearnt at a relatively early stage.

Regards, Stuart

yuanfen
05-15-2002, 06:49 AM
Well-Ironfist is his own sifu. Thats why.

IronFist
05-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys.

yuanfen, where angels fear to tread? Eh?

IronFist

sunkuen
05-15-2002, 09:15 PM
Just to clarify about the shift....both you and your partner should be facing the same direction. When your arms are tired and bleeding on the one side you change sides by letting your partner execute his lap da, then when the punch comes, you shift and use a tan da or a lap da ( no bong da!!!).Guess what your partner does now....bong sau...now the drill continues till this side bleeds.

p.s. how's the egg training coming along?

Alpha Dog
05-16-2002, 07:17 AM
To prevent the bleeding, we use a combination of tabasco sauce, soy sauce, and dried ginseng tea to astringe and toughen the skin, plus a bit of hair gel to make it stick better. gotta rub it in real good before and after training though or it won't work.

Phil Redmond
05-16-2002, 08:17 AM
There are examples of the Lop Sao drills at....

http://www.wingchunkwoon.com
PR