PDA

View Full Version : OT: Of interest to system Admins mostly

Royal Dragon
05-15-2002, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what your relationship is with the Rolex corporation.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm runing a forum hosed by Netbula with thier Anyboard forum software. It's free, but they have several premium versions. Anyway, I have had a good number of bugs with it, and when I'm not fighting with the support crew there, and I'm not trying to debugg options that should be working (Like delteing useres named GENE:D ) I really like the forum I'm running.

Anyway, I just got this letter concerning a probelm I had a few months ago.

"Message of the day
We will be moving the anyboard.net server, you may expect some downtime
Important notice
We have received compliant from ROLEX that some users of AnyBoard.NET are using their trademarks, they are threatening to sue anyboard.net. As a result, we have to ban all ROLEX trademarks.
AnyBoard.NET is funded partly by software license sales. Please rate the AnyBoard software in the CGI resources directory (high score is better) as a registered user. We will remove the pop-up ads once there are 15 comments in the cgi-resource directory."

One of the options allows me to ban users on a PER POST basis due to content of the post triggred by pre programed Key words. For example, lets say I really don't like the word "Homer". I can program that into the system, and anyone that tries to post with the word Homer anywhere in their topic, response or subject gets locked out until they remove the offending word. (colud be option good for KFO and the word BJJ? :) )

I programed mine with several "KEY" Chung moo Quan words because I just don't want that topic on my forums, as well as some of the really bad swear words. The rest of the swear words I put in the vulgarity option, and they get replaced with ?????

Anyway, The word ROLEX is hardwired into the system software, and cannot be removed. I had a devil of a time getting the system to even let me ADD words, leading to much headache with the Anyboard's support guys.

Anyway, I asked about this, and thier support told me that the ROLEX copr threatened to SUE them for trade mark infringement if they did not lock out that word form thier forum software on a perminant basis.

I was wondering if this is a commomn thing? Has Rolex been surfing the net looking to file law suites against everyone that says ROLEX on the internet? or allows it to be said on thier forms??

What's YOUR relationship with the Rolex corporation? DO they want to sue you too? If not, how come? do you feel left out?

Seriously though, what's your take on this?

RD