PDA

View Full Version : bjj vs. jj - what are the differences?

NPMantis
05-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry to post this, I know it was posted recently however I've spend about half an hour trying to find the thread with no lucky. I was wondering what the basic differences are between BJJ and JJ? (If anyone could point me in the direction of the old thread I would very much appreciate it.)

I have heard:

- JJ focuses more on traditional Jiu-Jitsu techniques such as wrist escapes, throwing, breakfalls, and rolls.
- BJJ focuses more on takedowns, ground fighting and submission techniques.
- JJ clubs do little free sparring and instead prefer to drill techniques whereas BJJ club spends a large amount of time rolling/grappling (thought I imagine this probably depends on school).

Are these correct?

Thank you very much for any help, it's very much appreciated!

NPMantis

Sho
05-15-2002, 01:39 PM
A better question would be the differences between bjj and judo. :)

No, but seriously. Shortly explained it goes like this: Jigoro Kano made jujutsu into a safer style which is now called judo. Similar wazas are found in jujutsu and judo and basically gi-chokes and gi-throws got into fashion. Then came the Brazilian way of jujutsu which hardly differs from judo. However judo emphasizes more on throws than bjj, while bjj is more about taking down and newaza.

Dark Knight
05-15-2002, 02:03 PM
BJJ, especially GJJ comes from Judo. The gracies specialized on the ground work in Judo then renamed it Jiu-Jitsu.

Ground work is important and like everything, if you do it enough you get good in it.

Judo comes from Ju-Jitsu. Ju-Jitsu covers more areas than Judo or BJJ, but as you add more information, the less time you specialize. What you find in BJJ you will find in Judo and Ju-Jitsu (a good Ju-Jitsu school) but the BJJ people do a lot more live fighting.

If you were to watch top Ju-Jitsu people the techniques are along the lines of intercept the attack, strike, grab the opponent, break something if possible, throw them, strike and break something/choke.

Watching top people perform you would think Japanese Ju-Jitsu is more effective than BJJ, but BJJ is just as effective.

The problem is there are not that many Top JJJ people in this country. You dont see them at NHB events because a) they do not specialize in that type of fighting b) BJJ people train as they fight.

JJJ is like any other style, you fight like you train. It is effective, but its getting to be like Billybobs Karate, no contact, low intensity on combat.

"- JJ clubs do little free sparring and instead prefer to drill techniques whereas BJJ club spends a large amount of time rolling/grappling (thought I imagine this probably depends on school). "

You are right, I know schools that roll all the time, I know others that look like they are teaching Karate.

Merryprankster
05-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Sho more or less has it correct, although BJJ and Judo, as they are practiced, are clearly seperate entities at this point.

BJJ focuses on ground grappling. There are some takedowns, but most places don't practice them often enough--usually what you learn for takedowns, is good enough to take out the untrained, but I don't like that approach, personally.

Judo/shuai chiao/wrestling + BJJ= a solid grappling force.

BJJ schools all have one thing in common--you will NOT find a legit school that doesn't spar for a good deal of time. The least I have ever sparred is 10 minutes. The longest during class time was over an hour. Most of the time, we average around 30 minutes. That really doesn't vary from school to school--there's sparring time, period, and it's an integral part of the training.

BJJ focuses on obtaining a superior position and then submitting your opponent with a variety of holds and chokes. Most places do have some sort of no gi class from time to time, so you get a bit of both.

Dark Knight
05-15-2002, 02:08 PM
BTW, for an excellent example on what JJJ should look like get the 1998 or 2000 World Ju-JItsu Championship from www.usjujitsu.net merchandise.
Its $20.00 each and worth the investment. They are a lesson on their own, tons of advanced techniques. (the 1998 is produced better )

Dark Knight
05-15-2002, 02:11 PM
"Watching top people perform you would think Japanese Ju-Jitsu is more effective than BJJ, but BJJ is just as effective. "

In NHB BJJ is more effective, I just meant in the street.

But, again, its how you train, if you dont train like you fight.....

NPMantis
05-15-2002, 02:24 PM
Hey everyone, just to say thanks for replying to my question, I have a much better understanding now.

Thanks again everyone!

Xebsball
05-15-2002, 02:27 PM
Hello, welcome to KFO, the Chinese Martial Arts forum.

DelicateSound
05-18-2002, 06:18 AM
Under the "Other Related Arts" area... :rolleyes:

Leonidas
05-18-2002, 08:39 AM
You made a bit of an oversight, there are hundreds of styles of Jujutsu, its like comparing BJJ to Karate or Kung Fu. Some specialize in groundfighting like BJJ, others in striking like KungFu/Karate, other specialize in throws or jointlocks, and yet others practice developing Aiki. Most goods schools have a mix of everything but they do specialize. Theres enough of a difference or it wouldn't be called a style. You can only get generalizations