PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Ryu "Teaching JKD"

Badger
05-15-2002, 01:59 PM
I know I joke you about this but serious question:

If your phase 1 instructorship is still good does that allow you to teach Paul Vunak's JKD Concepts or whatever it is he teaches?

Would you ever consider opening a school or something like that? just curious.

Badger

Ryu
05-15-2002, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I had the okay from him personally, but because I haven't trained with him for a while, I'm sure I would have to go back up to California for a while.

The Phase 1 allows someone to open up a school and teach RAT, JKD concepts, etc. It also allows (or so it says) the student to altar what he was taught depending on the times, students' needs, etc.

Yeah, I've given thought to teaching it. I'm still giving thought to it now. But if I do teach, I think it would be more like an "athletic self-defense" type thing then just strict PFS JKD.

Ryu

rogue
05-16-2002, 09:54 AM
Care to clarify that Ryu?

Ryu
05-16-2002, 09:59 AM
What part, rogue?

Paul's phase 1 is the "first" real certificate to teach his material.
It also states the instructor can change or altar what he's learned.
Go to fighting.net and you can learn more about it.

Ryu

Ryu
05-16-2002, 10:03 AM
Or did you mean clarify that "athletic self-defense" thing? :)

What I meant was that I wouldn't necessarily swear by the "intercept, straightblast, and headbutts, knees, and elbows" version of Paul's JKD.
For me I had more success with other strategies, so if I taught I'd put a lot of emphasis on athleticism, grappling, ground and pound, pre-emptive strike and follow throughs, de-escalation stances, etc.
But right now I'm not teaching anything.

Ryu

ewallace
05-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Cardio ground-and-pound for the women and kids would make you some $$ too. Although some women might think it is a "healthy-living" cooking class at first glimpse.

DragonzRage
05-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Ryu, if i remember correctly you said that you trained with Vunak in one of those short private training workshops. I was just curious why do you feel that Vunak awarded you the instructorship in such a short period of time training with him? Did he simply feel that you already had good technique and picked his ideas up quickly? Or did you already have a lot of PFS training with someone in his lineage beforehand?

Ryu
05-16-2002, 11:51 PM
I had trained with Thom Cruse before getting together with Vunak, and had trained PFS JKD for about 4 or so years prior to even meeting him.

Ryu

respectmankind
05-17-2002, 12:28 AM
off topic and i am more saying this for myself, but that athletic jkd is assentialy the way i view how i have molded myself.