PDA

View Full Version : Tracing legit BJJ rankings

SevenStar
10-06-2001, 01:16 AM
I remember seeing a post (I believe it was either jimmy23, knife fighter or Grappling Insanity) stating that it was easy to trace legit ranking over the net. Where can I do this?

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Stranger
10-06-2001, 01:39 AM
here's a good place to start (http://www.bjj.org)

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

SevenStar
10-06-2001, 06:33 AM
thanx!

SevenStar
10-06-2001, 07:01 AM
1. how hard is it to get a blue belt in BJJ? I'm wondering why someone with a blue belt (the second rank) is allowed to teach.

2. This site doesn't show academies of students trained by Royce. Why? An acquaintance of mine Recently got his purple belt from Royce, and he is encouraging me to train with him. Just for kicks, I wanted to see if he was listed as a legit instructor

SevenStar
10-06-2001, 07:05 AM
I found an Royce link on there, but the page hasn't been updated since 1999

DrunkenMonkey
10-06-2001, 07:28 AM
In some styles there are student levels and senior levels. A student black belt is different than a senior black belt. I don't actually think they can open their own school with a blue belt though....

I am just speculating.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Knifefighter
10-06-2001, 07:39 AM
Royce & Rorion don't certify too many people to teach thier "pure water" jiu jitsu. The chances are he is not officially certified by them to teach. You can call the Torrance Gracie academy to find out for sure..

[This message was edited by Knifefighter on 10-06-01 at 10:57 PM.]

GinSueDog
10-06-2001, 07:49 AM
SevenStar,
It varies, it can take anywhere from six months to two years to get your bluebelt. From there you can remain a bluebelt for years before getting your purple. It all depends on who your instructor is and the time you put in. The Gracie Academy in Torrance has I think two brown belts and no black belts, while schools like the Machado's Torrance school has over a dozen brown belts at least.-ED

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

SevenStar
10-06-2001, 07:56 AM
"Royce & Rorion don't certify too many people to teach thier "pure water" jiu jitsu. The chances are he is not certified by them to teach. You can call the Torrance Gracie academy to find out for sure."

I dunno, seems like he woulda busted them if they were fake - he's here all the time. Matter of factly, he's doing a seminar here in like two weeks, at the guy's school .

Knifefighter
10-06-2001, 08:04 AM
Seven Star:
He might be certified or he might just run a training association. If it is a TA, officially, he is not allowed to be an instructor. That doesn't mean he isn't a good teacher and you won't learn good stuff there. It is just a weird way Royce & Rorion run their business. As a matter of fact, it has been my experience that some of Royce's best fighters come from his training associations.“

SevenStar
10-06-2001, 08:09 AM
Thanks, I'll probably check it out. I noticed your school listed on bjj.org

Water Dragon
10-06-2001, 10:40 PM
When I was actively training BJJ, it was with a Carvalho Blue. His people clean up in the local MMA events up here, and I had nothing but good experiences with them. When my financial situation is better, I definately plan on returning there.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 06:56 AM
yeah, most likely I'll be there at least twice a week. The classes are won, tues, thurs, and sat. I have kung fu on mon, wed and fri, so monday is definitely out. I'm thinking about going on tuesday and saturday.

One of his guys, David Ferguson, was in this tourney: http://www.the-dangerzone.com/news.htm

I gotta find out whether or not his won his fight though.

two other guys, David Roberts and chris condo, are the students of another acquaintance of mine. He's been a judge at several UFCs and has a blue belt in BJJ. He taught shotokan to the guy I'm thinking of training grappling under. Anyway, here's a link to it. Dunno if he won either.

http://www.fcfighter.com/ufc20bio.htm

from the looks of it, their fighters are definitely getting on the map. Even if they lost, that's more than those that haven't even tried can say.

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 07:03 AM
condo lost his fight. roberts has a record of 1-2. here's a pic of him standing over an opponent
http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/sherdogsfightpics.cfm?matchId=466

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 07:14 AM
ferguson won his fight too

GinSueDog
10-07-2001, 05:12 PM
I have heard that name before...I just don't remember where...the prince of leglocks maybe?

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

LEGEND
10-07-2001, 05:16 PM
KF and GINUE...do u think it's necessary for these guys to study under a certified BJJ guy??? I'm finding more and more hybrid fighters with no certification...although not technically smooth as a bjj guy...they are still formidable and hella strong!

A

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 07:02 PM
I thought the prince of leglocks was me. when I first started grappling, the only submissions I knew were chokes and leglocks, and I favored leglocks since they were easier to pull off for me.

GinSueDog
10-07-2001, 07:15 PM
Legend,
I don't think it is necessary. Hell, my instructor has more then a little contraversy regarding his background. I do think for anyone new to BJJ going with a legit instructor would be the best way to go. Personally when I first started getting into the whole submission grappling thing, I switched instructors twice before going with my current one. The other two had good reputations and had legit blackbelts but at the time I didn't feel I was getting the best bang for my bucks.

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 07:18 PM
I agree with that. As long as he has something useful to teach me, then it doesn't matter much.

GinSueDog
10-07-2001, 07:18 PM
SevenStar,
If memory serves me, and I could be wrong but the Prince of Leglocks challanged a number of reputable BJJ instructors to a BJJ superfight. One of the Gracies ended up accepting and they fought maybe two years ago.-ED

Watchman
10-07-2001, 07:20 PM
Tell Chris: much good luck against Serra from us.

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 08:03 PM
And he was one of the guys I named?

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 08:09 PM
I just looked him up. That was robert ferguson, not david. they did pretty well at a recent gracie tourney also. David was in this one and got first in his division.
http://www.gracieacademy.com/tourney2001.html

GinSueDog
10-07-2001, 09:24 PM
Sevenstar,
Yeah, Robert Ferguson I believe is the one that fought one of the Gracies a while back in a challange match. He maybe fighting in the next King of the Cage, I know he is going to be fighting at the Gladiator Challange.

Watchman,
Are you sure Chris will be fighting Serra? I'll have to ask when I go to class tomorrow night.-ED

SevenStar
10-07-2001, 11:30 PM
watchman, when are you fighting? what event?

Watchman
10-07-2001, 11:41 PM
GSD,

I spotted a thread on the UG about Chris Brennan vs. Matt Serra, but can't remember what event was mentioned. I assume it's KOTC.

Sevenstar,

How did you know about that? Are you in on Rogue's surveillance operation? You've got me spooked now! :eek:

Actually, nothing is final yet. I have been offered a place on the card in MSF's next event in Nov. (in Denver), but they're still trying to nail down a specific date and venue. We'll see what happens.