PDA

View Full Version : How to beat up wing chun guys real easy

KC Elbows
05-16-2002, 03:08 PM
What type approach do members here use against wing chun practitioners? I practice with one guy who's very good at his wing chun. I find that footwork is my best friend in sparring with him, as he puts up a very solid defense. However, constant repositioning seems to enable me to bypass his defenses.

At the same time, his best case scenario seems to be to get me in the position where I think I've bypassed his defenses, only to discover I'm mired in them.

Just sharing my experiences. What are yours?

txwingchun
05-16-2002, 04:26 PM
That's impossible it can't be done you're lying!

Royal Dragon
05-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Are you useing Bagua footwork by any chance?

David Jamieson
05-16-2002, 05:05 PM
keeping in mind that one shouldn't be "trapped" by style...

I don't personally think that the style (wing chun) lacks anything for 360 degrees of close defense.

Perhaps your friends inability to deal with the side and back doors is due to his own understanding?

peace

Le nOObi
05-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Yeah thats the one problem with wing chun, instructors who dont know enough!

joedoe
05-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Distract them by starting a lineage argument, then kick their arse. :D

old jong
05-16-2002, 05:31 PM
Why are you telling that to everybody?...Now I fell completely helpless! :eek:

Royal Dragon
05-16-2002, 05:34 PM
"Distract them by starting a lineage argument, then kick their arse"

Reply]
That's How "I" always do it:D

Either that, or I start an arguement about how Wing Chun is suposed to be spelled.:D :p

joedoe
05-16-2002, 06:32 PM
old jong - william cheung shat all over botztepe :D

RD - there is only one true way to spell Wing Chun. It just depends on who you learn from as to what that true way is :D

Royal Dragon
05-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Hey, it was about beating Wing Chun, not winning with it. I think this should be back on the main Kung Fu page for sure!!!

reneritchie
05-16-2002, 08:22 PM
There's a rhymed formulae in Wing Chun Kuen which states (translated), "When an enemy moves, their balance they already lose". So, if skill levels are proximate, moving around a lot and constantly reposition plays into the WCK strategy.

Rgds,

RR

Wingman
05-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Well, if you were to ask me, I won't tell you. Each MA style (including wing chun) have their own strengths and weaknesses. If I were to tell my opponent what my weaknesses are, they might use it against me.

"We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction." -- Aesop

KnightSabre
05-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Take them to the ground?

:)

TjD
05-17-2002, 01:08 AM
i find that if my wing chun is better than theirs, i win :)

perhaps you should take up wing chun?

its superior and all that

peace
trav

old jong
05-17-2002, 05:17 AM
No!...First, you have to block his punches with your face then...You assume the open guard position on your back and invite him to fight on the ground!...Sounds easy to me!...:)

Alpha Dog
05-17-2002, 06:02 AM
Is this to be tolerated?

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 06:32 AM
Kung Lek,

I agree, the style does have sufficient form to cover 360 degrees. I was just noting a tactic that seemed to work well when sparring him and some of his classmates. That being said, his teacher could probably kick my butt.

RD,

Yes. The style I practice utilizes mainly pa kua and hsing yi footwork, with a smattering of mantis in there.

reneritchie,

I haven't heard that song. However, it doesn't seem to me that moving equates to losing balance. When I reposition, its not a bunch of pointless moves, each step is part of an offensive, and, when I'm doing my kung fu correctly, I am balanced.

As an aside, my friend and I have compared the ways we do certain footwork, and the basics are very similar. The difference seems to be that, in my style, the footwork is a constant assault, whereas his footwork goes back and forth from offensive to defensive, which seems to me in keeping with wing chun principles. Neither is better or worse, they just create different opportunities for both the stylist and any opponents. His allows him to seemlessly regain his defense and keep his centerline focused on attacking me, mine allows me to press the offensive and disrupt his centerline by attacking his structure with feet, hands, hips, whatever. All in all, I'd say I like both styles.

reneritchie
05-17-2002, 09:03 AM
KC,

Balance and stability are relative. At some point, if you're lifting a leg to step and reposition, (unless you have years and years and years more strength and balance in your horse), there will be moments where applying force to you breaks your structure more easily than it would if you had both feet rooted on the ground. And, there will likely also be moments where your momentum can be added to or subtracted from, to enhance this.

In Western terms, an object at rest tends to stay at rest, and object in motion tends to stay in motion. It takes the act of considerable force to alter one state to another, but only small amounts of force to add to or subract from existing motion.

In a relative world, however, you only need to be moving less than an opponent to take advantage of this (turn into their turn, step into their step, as this is a shorter, shaper movement that plays into the old saying "the opponent moves first, I arrive first".

In general, WCK follows the proverb (which comes, in part, from the 36 Strategies) (translated) "Use stillness to overcome movement. Rest while the opponent fatigues"

Rgds,

RR

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Rene,

Point taken, and I would have to agree. What do the classics advocate for overcoming stillness?

Martial Joe
05-17-2002, 06:44 PM
"What type approach do members here use against wing chun practitioners?"

Being better...

yuanfen
05-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Tell him or her or them that they are JKD wannabees and then attack sidestepping so called chain punching.. Most havent learned enough defense or footwork to begin with.

mad taoist
05-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Keep them at a distance, all I have to say. Can't speak out of my own experience, but out of the experience of friends who have sparred with wing chunners.

:)

Shadowboxer
05-18-2002, 01:46 PM
I have the most trouble when my Mantis brothers are able to orbit around me. They really like cirlces and switching their feet quickly. If I can cut them off with oi seen wai and tan da, for example, things are more even. One guy counters everything I do and leans and presses in, usually with a hand in the face crowding me severely, which compromises my structure and centerline. He's really good and it's always a learning experience. Gotta' invest in loss sometimes.

yuanfen
05-18-2002, 01:53 PM
If you learn the chum kiu well no one will be able to outcircle you

Shadowboxer
05-19-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm just getting into that form now. I know it but have only touched the surface of what it has to offer.