PDA

View Full Version : BJJ vs. JJJ

zen_celt
05-16-2002, 06:31 PM
I just finished reading Shadow Dragon's Reality Guy Question thread and got to thinking about the differences between BJJ and JJJ. I did some looking and found that BJJ originated from JJJ. I forgot the names involved but the time was late 19th, early 20th Century(I think) that a JJJ instructor taught his art(or part of it) to some Brazillians who altered it some and called it BJJ. My question is: what are the differences between BJJ and JJJ? I'm curious to know what makes these two arts separate.
-ZC

Radhnoti
05-16-2002, 07:47 PM
I've always heard that the difference is more in the way BJJ is taught...that is to say the things they focus on are different.

I've also heard that advanced JJJ folks see the things BJJers teach and say, "Sure, that's the way you do that." But, they never vocalize it...just expect you to pick it up as you advance.

That's just what I've heard.

Nichiren
05-17-2002, 04:42 AM
The techniques are the same in BJJ and JJJ. The difference is the focus on the techniques.

An example that may clarify the matter is to compare Judo and JJ. In judo you learn probably ten variants of Uchi Mata because it works in competition. In BJJ the same can be said about submissions.

/Cheers...