PDA

View Full Version : OMG im going to China to compete!!!

jon
05-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Im going to start with an appology, this whole post is going to sound like im blowing my trumpet pretty badly. Just all of my normal friends could care a LOT less about MA and this is something i wanted to tell some people who would actualy understand why this is such a big deal to me.

In the whole time ive been training ive always had Sifus who didnt hand out the praise easily and my current sifu is no exception. In the whole time ive been training the most he usualy says is 'ok' or 'no' its VERY seldom to hear him say you did anything 'good'. This is why today came as such a shock to me.

As some of you may already know i do a bit of full contact sparring and San Shao with several other practioners which is geared towards getting a team ready for Aus with the 2008 Beijing games as Wushu and San Shao maybe a demonstration sport.
Today my sifu came up to me and informed me that he would like to speak with my parents (im 24 but live at home) i thought this an odd request but of course agreed. He went to explain that he now wanted to focuss our groups efforts on MY training:eek:
Apperently he wants me to be our main fighter and wants to take me China towards the end of the year to compete there and to gain some proper experience.
His big plan is several fold but firstly he wants to take me to China and have me compete full contact, and also show internal forms of kung. In other words he wants to show how it can be addapted for ring combat.

Then the longer term goal will be to get me in competion state for the 2008 games if San Shao becomes a demonstration sport.

Either way the big thing that I kept running though my mind was IM GOING TO CHINA!!!! with my sifu :D

The other thing which REALLY made me finaly start to actualy feel a little better about doing so much training was hearing him say.
"You have good kung fu and good fighting skill" ive NEVER heard him give such a compliment and i can stop beaming at the thought of it. There is nothing better than simply knowing your own sifu respects your skills.

Ok ill stop bragging now and start worrying about the fact that the average Chinese San Shao champion is eight times as well trained as i am and loves nothing better than beating a westerner in a fight.

Has anyone hear ever been to china to compete? If so how was it?

Im SO excited i think im going to bust open :D:cool: :p

PS Nearly forgot...
My sifu has GOOD contacts in both China and Australia and is already tasked with getting officals ready for an Australian San Shao circuit so this is not some stupid pipe dream of his.

My girlfriends first question on hearing the news was of course...
So your actualy going to fight! MORE!!!
Still she was 'kinda' happy for me i guess:rolleyes:

joedoe
05-16-2002, 09:09 PM
Congratulations. That is great.

Gabriel
05-16-2002, 09:23 PM
congratulations bro. :D I wish i could go to china..will I be seeing you on the telly then?;)

Gabriel

nospam
05-16-2002, 09:25 PM
That's a great story jon. Kudos to you and yours!

Go kick some Chinese butt :D

nospam.
:cool:

jon
05-16-2002, 09:28 PM
hehe thanks guys :)

"will I be seeing you on the telly then?"
lol now that you mention it...
I will be on some stupid lifestyle show on this Saturday on chanel 9 at 5.30. Im just in the background doing push hands with another dude, im the one with short hair :)
They where filming the show where i train during the week and came up and asked if they could film something with us.
My sifu however is the main attraction as he is actualy doing some movements :p
If ANYONE trys to tell me that our push hands is crap or not the way they do it well... errr... bummer :p

prana
05-16-2002, 09:29 PM
nice jon,

it wasn`t so long ago that you were worried that you'd disappoint your sifu. And now you have been shown that you impressed your sifu ! Dats Super...

Congrats. Oh BTW, if you're going to China, learn to squat, feet flat and about 1.5 feet apart. Dont ask why, trust me ;) :D

Royal Dragon
05-16-2002, 09:30 PM
VERY COOL!!

I know some guys in Australia, near Sydney. If your interested in doing some Tai Tzu there, or just having some tough guys to work with. I may be able to set up a place for you to train if you ever go there. They teach the Hand to Hand for the Australian military, and would probually welcome you with open arms if you need a home away from home. If you go Down Under to fight that is.

diego
05-16-2002, 09:30 PM
:cool:

joedoe
05-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
VERY COOL!!

I know some guys in Australia, near Sydney. If your interested in doing some Tai Tzu there, or just having some tough guys to work with. I may be able to set up a place for you to train if you ever go there. They teach the Hand to Hand for the Australian military, and would probually welcome you with open arms if you need a home away from home. If you go Down Under to fight that is.

Hey RD - jon is actually in Sydney, but I wouldn't mind finding out about those guys myself as Tai Tzu is part of the 5 Ancestors system so it would be interesting to see if there is much difference between what we do and the original system.

Royal Dragon
05-16-2002, 09:57 PM
You guys are down under ahy??

Let me E-Mail them, and get you the exact address

Cody
05-16-2002, 10:01 PM
Congrats. Nice goin'! delighted. delighted. Knew you could do it, and looking forward to hearing more about it. Your trumpet is in perfect tune and you're doin' fine.

:) Cody

Royal Dragon
05-16-2002, 10:05 PM
I fired off an E-Mail to my Shihing there, as soon as he gives me the OK I'll PM you with the phone nuber to his school and you can arrange a get together. Just tell him Royal Dragon Kung Fu from Chicago sent you.

anton
05-16-2002, 11:19 PM
Congrats Mate!!! :D
Might be a good idea to start learning a bit of Chinese eh?
Is that show "Postcards" (maybe Melbourne programming is different) ?

qeySuS
05-17-2002, 12:02 AM
Congrats man that's AWESOME news!

Now what you mean with the sifu though, sometimes you think "man no matter how hard i try he only says "ok that's it now keep practicing"" :) Then one day the bomb comes and it feels sooooo good.

dezhen2001
05-17-2002, 12:57 AM
Wow - seems big things are in store for u then :)

Seems like you've found something u wanna do, so i know you will train hard and do well. Wish my Sifu said that to me. Oh well, got a whole weekend of Chi Sau to look forward to, maybe he will then :p
[i doubt it]

PS: If ur going to the olympics, remember ur mates here at KFO ok - we can come cheer u along! (imagine a 1000+ posse of 'fans' - now THAT would scare your opponents :D)

david

Xebsball
05-17-2002, 01:00 AM
Very cool dude, congratulations :D

scotty1
05-17-2002, 01:40 AM
Man I am so jealous;)

You jammy ba$tard!:D

Well, not jammy, but you know what I mean.

Congratulations man. Can your gf go with you? Would she even want to? Is it all good?

friday
05-17-2002, 02:49 AM
hey jon congratulations :)

good luck in China
btw when are u going? i still hope u can fit in yum cha before u go :)

friday

Ka
05-17-2002, 03:41 AM
Well done Jon,
nows the time to start learning Chinese.
Do you know which city you will be going to this year?

jon
05-17-2002, 05:20 AM
Hi everyone.
Thanks heaps for everyones kind words and support, it really means a lot to me. Most of my friends ive told all just sort of went
"'huh? Your going to be fighting in China? WHY???"

I should point out that im proberly being a little premature with all of this, my sifus english can be hard to understand and im yet to get details or anything solid. He just dropped all of this on me today. Still ill try and answer a few questions...

Royal Dragon
* Always on the look out for sparring partners, long as its to learn not to prove points.
If you could sent me those details as well i would certainly be interested in seeing what they do.

anton
"Might be a good idea to start learning a bit of Chinese eh?"
* Believe it or not i actualy looked into this yesterday (talk about timing) im going to be starting a Chinese class over the next couple of months.
My sifus speaks chinese and so does everyone at my work, im SLOWLY picking little bits and pieces up but only enough so that when i actualy learn it for real it wont be such a brutal shock.

scotty1
"Congratulations man. Can your gf go with you? Would she even want to? Is it all good?"
* I had not even considered this...
I REALLY hope she may want to come along but then again she is not exactly into violence. She likes Tai Chi and thats how we met but she is a occupational theorpy student at uni so telling her my life over the next few years is going to be avoiding getting ko'd is not going to be easy.

friday
* Dude ive always got time for yum cha with you, just give me a call or drop a line anytime:)
lol i think you put the fear of god into a few of my friends :) They now take the so called 'externals' a LOT more seriously:p

We are going mainly to promote the fighting side of traditional internals so i will be demoing a lot of Tai Chi weapons and Bagua hand forms as well.
The other thing is my sifu teaches a very rare Yang style two man long fighting form which he wants to be able to show off a little.

My sifu is not the only one who wants to do this...
Many are angry at the way kf is in the mainland and desperately want to give the tradtional arts a bit of face. However most of the better practioners either left in the 50s or stopped teaching the real deal.

I think i understand my sifus little dream and could proberly sum it up like this.
He was FORCED to learn the two man set behind closed doors with only his brother for a partner. If his father had been found to be teaching it in public he would have been thrown in jail.
My sifu then moved to Australia and decided to teach properly there.
Now china turns around and says 'oh we love kf its part of our culture' then turns it into absolute rubbish!

My sifus big dream ( I THINK) is to walk infornt of a delegation of Chinese dipolomats perform the old style fighting tai chi with a western student and then have that same western student (me) be able to PROVE that it actualy works well in combat.

That and of course the whole olypic issue.

Still me and my sifu both know well...
Im 24 now by the time Beijing rocks around i will 30! thats pretty darn old to be competing in the olympics. Still we are gonna give it a go.

When we go to China it will as part of the push to get Wushu and San Shao listed as a demonstration sport in 2008. We will go as part of an effort to prove that other countrys are capable of being competive and this wont be an 'all china' event. Hence we dont know the exact location or dates yet.

I feel a little guilty posting this before i know everything and even then i feel like i should be keeping this to myself but heck. You guys are all so cool and everyone is so darn nice.
I was kinda half expecting the 'i dont believe you' and 'your stuck up' kind of responces :)

Gawd the one BIG downside...
I already train seven days a week and this is just going to mean MORE training and even more hard core. The average level of competion for San Shao in China is stupidly high and for me to even be able to stand a chance is going to take some SERIOUS work.
I keep thinking about the actual honest fact that im going to be fighting guys who are well trained and do this stuff for a living.
Man i have SO much work to do, im going to be black and blue for the next several years... oh what a joy:rolleyes:

fiercest tiger
05-17-2002, 05:56 AM
Is your sifu gonna have trials for the team, as i have some students that would like to or maybe try out for the san sau team!

thats good news man, keep it up!

later
garry

scotty1
05-17-2002, 06:11 AM
Dude I hope everything is cool with your GF. She's going to have to be SOOO understanding. You're still going to be training in Oz yeah? Just going to China to compete?

"You guys are all so cool and everyone is so darn nice. "

Dam right. The fukwits must stay away from the big boy's threads.
:)

qeySuS
05-17-2002, 06:25 AM
dude, 30 may be old for gymnasts (or Wushu form people) but for San Shou and combat sports 30 years old is the prime, your not old enough for your strength and endurance to be severely effected and your old enough to have lots of experience behind you.

Check out how many guys are 30 in Judo at the olympics, i wouldnt be surprised if they were many.

jon
05-17-2002, 06:55 AM
fiercest tiger

If they are young and half decent then definately might be interested.
We are still really looking for more people and im pretty old really for competion.

I will send you some solid details when i can :)

Mr Punch
05-17-2002, 07:00 AM
jon, congrats.

shaolinboxer
05-17-2002, 07:30 AM
Massage your legs and knees, watch out for fighters from Egypt (they are tough), and good lock!

JWTAYLOR
05-17-2002, 07:45 AM
Congratulations and good luck.

When you get back, come on down to Texas and I'll show you what a real a$$ whoopin is. ;)

Jon Wayne "not in the face, not in the face!" Taylor

guohuen
05-17-2002, 09:55 AM
Jon, that's just so awesome! You certainly have the personality for this. You care about others and your art and you respect your teachers. I'm sure your Sifu did'nt come to this decision without a lot of consideration. I think you'll represent him well. Let me put a plug in here for consistancy in your training, ie. not freaking out and overdoing it. LOL, I know praise should'nt mean that much but it does! Kinda makes you high. I had forgotten what it was like being out of the mainstream for so many years. For me it's only really happened twice. First time in the Rangers I was pulled aside to be an assistant instructor the second class, the next time was 27 years later (last year) I recieved a compliment from a former Beijing Wushu coach and one of their students told me privately that was the highest praise they had ever heard from their Sifu. I was high for two days. At any rate I'm digressing. Drive on and have a great time! I'm sure you'll do well!

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-17-2002, 10:38 AM
i don't believe you. snobby little pr.ick . ..

seriuosly though .. .

i bet your sifu just doens't like and thinks it will be funny to watch you get beat up.

Liokault
05-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Congrats guy.

My teacher is thinking about the san shou in 2008 to but we came to the conclusion that only wushu danceing would be included.

diego
05-17-2002, 12:42 PM
jonnyboy on the note of blacknblue till your 30, from your posts you seem like a good kf student, as you seem to be into and know your stuff, even if you dont rank at the top, think about how as a westerner the traits you will gain from your sifus monitoring!, i think this is a great experiance for when your 40 and how it will help when you teach, uno:)

ewallace
05-17-2002, 01:19 PM
Congratulations Jon. I am sure you will do fine.

Might I suggest that you really think about bringing your GF along if you are going to be fighting while you are there. It can sometimes be distracting and lower your level of focus.

fiercest tiger
05-17-2002, 07:15 PM
yeah i have a couple of guys that would do well i would say! They approached me last month wanting to go into tourneys, do you know of any kung fu tourneys around i might get them involved. Do you need sparring partners? Maybe some of my guys can come down and sparr and get experience. Do you sparr at all?

would you be able to email me the details and organisers names who are picking the teams.

when are they doing this or is it all still in the pipelines?

cheers
Garry:)

wushu chik
05-17-2002, 07:22 PM
Congrats Jon. Have a blast!

~Wen~

jon
05-18-2002, 05:05 AM
fiercest tiger

I spoke to my sifu again today.
We ARE still looking for young fighters and we are meeting once a week in the city for training in San Shao. This involves full contact and obviously a lot of drilling. Me and some of the other guys also do a little NHB style stuff if we are up to it.
Still the focuss is shifting now to the San Shao.
They are focussing on me in terms of my sifu but we are STILL certainly looking for MANY more to train up and have ready for competion. We have been trying to get a circuit happening for a while and with any luck it wont be TOO much longer but obviously we need competitors.
My sifu is one of the organisers and has been doing most of the promotion and is also training me and a few others as referees and trainers.
Drop me an email or pm me and i will give you all the full contact details.
Basicaly we are looking for people who want to train up for competion in the near future.
There is currently litteraly more teachers than students so most of the time we just end up sparring but we WILL be teaching. We have about 4 young guys already and we need more. We need people with a little experience who are willing to learn and addapt.

For teachers (these are NOT the four young guys)
they will access to...
My Sifu Master William Ho (internal kung fu) - we ALL are his students so i will only list our OTHER backgrounds...
Brendon (southern Shaolin sifu and kickboxing instructor)
Jacky ( Thai Boxing instructor - born raised and trained in Thailand and has placed well in competion)
Paul ( Wing Chun and BJJ)
Jon - me (Hung Ga, Tae Kwon Do - yes i really do use TKD:p )

So in other words they will have GOOD access to trainers and people from many differing backgrounds.

Enough ranting but yeah we would definately be interested :)

jon
05-18-2002, 05:10 AM
ps

"Do you sparr at all?"
* Dude where you been? I spar a LOT... Contact, semi contact, full contact, nhb, gloved, bearhand whatever :)
I get punched in the face or head on pretty much a daily basis:(

lazybones
05-18-2002, 06:05 AM
Congratulations Jon,
Must be nice to see that your Sifu thinks so highly of you. Best of luck with your demonstration in China as well! Hopefully, you'll get to hear "Aussie, aussie, aussie, oi, oi, oi" (australian supporter's chant during the olympics for those that haven't heard it) in the not too distant future.

fiercest tiger
05-18-2002, 06:06 PM
Cool, so your sifu will take the credit when my guys takes the gold in china?

If my students want to try out for the team and make it will they be using your teachers name or ykm name? What full contact fights have you or the other teachers done? what NHB contest have you been in or you only starting to train this? What teaching background do you all have in full contact compitition? sorry for the questions, just need to know more about the teachers that are teaching the full contact.

I'll email you about the detail and plce where you all sparr, can i come and watch and meet the instructors?

cheers

IronFist
05-18-2002, 09:01 PM
That's awesome news, dude! (Sorry, I just read this thread for the first time right now)

IronFist

MaFuYee
05-18-2002, 09:18 PM
jon,

have fun man!
i wouldn't want to be in your shoes... but, to each his own!

btw. does this mean, for training purposes you'll have to refrain from sex? - that could be problematic for your gf. - give her my email address, i'm not training for anything. :D

* and, don't forget a video camera, and toilet paper.

jon
05-19-2002, 01:29 AM
fiercest tiger
Please forgive my tone but i find your questions a little odd. Still i will answer as best i can.

"Cool, so your sifu will take the credit when my guys takes the gold in china?"
* I dont know the answer to that for sure but if its such a big issue maybe you should train your own fighters and send them yourself?

"If my students want to try out for the team and make it will they be using your teachers name or ykm name?"
* If they wish to spar San Shao and LEARN from us then YES i would expect them to also give us credit. I have NO problem with them letting the world know about there traditional background. Again if this is an issue i would surgest you train your own fighters.

"What full contact fights have you or the other teachers done?"
* Ive done a lot but i havent personaly competed. All of the other teachers have and Jacky best was placed 2nd in a national Thai Boxing competion. None of us are pro but we all know how to fight.
If this is not enough experience for you again i surgest training your own fighters...

"what NHB contest have you been in or you only starting to train this?"
* We dont and wont COMPETE in NHB, most of us though will happily train this way.

"What teaching background do you all have in full contact compitition?"
* My sifu has over 40 years, Jacky has been a Thai boxing instructor for coming on four years and Brendon has been a sifu for several years as well.

"can i come and watch and meet the instructors?"
* Yes but i think we should get a few things sorted out first.
You sound very much as though you dont either trust our 'qualifications' or you think you could do a better job yourself. If thats the case i respectfully say go ahead.
Im not forcing your hand im making you a VERY kind offer, one which i WONT bother to attempt to justify to you. If your students want to train they are welcome, if not then thats fine to.

Look Gary i will say honestly i find this pretty offensive...
I went out of my way to explain things as best i could and your only responce basicaly wreaks of your questioning our experience.
I respect that you wish to look out for your own students but we would also like to look out after our own time.

Again if this is not enough for you then please feel free to train up your own fighters.
All the best and i hope this does not come accross to rudely but i do feel a little put out by this.
Jon

jon
05-19-2002, 01:49 AM
fiercest tiger

Look to be honest going though me proberly isnt going to provide you with the sort of information you want. Im still VERY unclear on 'exactly' whats going on myself. If you speak Canto you can talk to my sifu if that will be any easyer?
Failing that its proberly a good idea you just come down and see for yourself.
I may not have mentioned this before and its proberly a big part of the reason i may have taken a little offence at your past comments but im fairly sure we wont charge your students to train.
It would just be something for there own experience and over the next few years it may well turn into something bigger.

Im certainly NOT asking for your well trained good students to come and pay us money so that we can take them away from your hands. It would just be a once or twise weekly training in san shao for there own interest and maybe one day competion.

Tae Li
05-19-2002, 02:19 AM
Jon,

1- errrr, you kinda FAILED to mention you were going to CHINA in your sms.....

2- OMG! YOUR GOING TO CHINA!!!! OMG! WELL DONE!!! who would have thought??? lol kidding.

Congratulations Dragon, im proud of you, guess this means i HAVE to come over a PERSONALLY congratulate you huh?
First time I saw you, I saw talent, without a doubt and i never understood why you didnt compete when you could clearly kick arse....

Well, i reckon there is something strange about this actually....My instructor was still talking to me about going to Athens for TKD Olympics which means I have to rev into gear with training before the Olympic selections take place next year....but if I dont go to Athens, who knows I may go to Beijing instead, the reason I am pointing this out is cos if i do go to Beijing in 2008 for TKD, does that mean u will be there too if your a great big success Dragon???

See, good thing we spent all those 'training sessions' together, we wernt really chatting in those days we were reving eachother up for the future.lol
Congratulations Jon, I cant think of anyone else who has such incredible talent in Kung Fu that deserves this opportunity more:)
(yes i have seen his techinque many times people and he IS VERY GOOD!...esp his 'drunken kungfu" look...lol.

Your 5 minutes away, so this time I will make the effort to come and say congratulations in person because you do deserve it. Your sifu is a really smart guy Dragon, chose the right bloke for the part
;)

Tae Li;)

fiercest tiger
05-19-2002, 03:27 AM
relax!:(

sorry i did sound rude i didnt read it after i typed. I type how i ask questions..lol

Ok lets get this settled, i didnt relise that anyone can train others up for the olympic's, i though it was one school to do it. The way i read your 1st post was you guys are the ones that pic a squad. Now that this is cleared, i do look out for my boys and if i can train my own guys for it then, i wont have to worry about the credit to your teacher.

I wasnt worrying about them leaving me for your sifu or the money i was looking at who and what qualification they have! I agree the way i asked was wrong, sorry! In sydney there are alot of bogus people claiming they can teach, thats why i asked. Im sure they are good, i would like to see my guys i give them to if they wanted to train up for such an event.

so now that i know you can train your own fighters for the san shou compition i wont bother you again on this. I'll ask around for information, or if you can fill me in that would be great.

cheers

andoi
05-20-2002, 12:23 AM
hi Jon
i dont know if u know this but i have actually met you(only breifly) at a terrifyingly bad tournament a few months ago(in homebush) i was there with some freinds and when u and your Sifu arrived we were all xcited cos we thought there would be something worth watching(unfortunatly u guys werent there to perform) anyway i just thought i would post this to say
1. Congratulations....you seem like u really deserve this, not only bcos u train hard(i been reading your posts) but mostly bcos u were very polite, and both myself and my freinds thought that....it was a welcome change bcos at that tournament there were a lot of karate(and others) ppl who thought they were tough guys and acted accordingly, and in general i have found that a lot of ppl(esp westerners but anyone really) who do martial arts think its an excuse to act like a jerk.. and also we share a mutual freind who speaks very highly of you, both of your ma skills and personality.
2. At the aforementioned tournament you handed us a flyer about san shou(? sorry if spelt wrong) and explained that your sifu was trying to organize a san shou circut in chinatown, i was just wondering if you could explain a bit more about the rules and just in general about san shou...the more we know the better as a few of us are planning to speak to our sifu about it. thanks

Stacey
05-20-2002, 09:01 AM
show those Commie ants what Aussies are made of.

chingei
05-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Stacey
show those Commie ants what Aussies are made of.

"ants"?

Stacey
05-20-2002, 12:13 PM
the antlike conformity and lack of individualism. The great fear of the oligarchy.

andoi
05-20-2002, 12:17 PM
you mean like in america??

Stacey
05-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Yes, which is why he should show them what "AUSSIES" are made of.

andoi
05-20-2002, 12:31 PM
lol ......fair enough

chingei
05-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Stacey
the antlike conformity and lack of individualism.

upon what do you base this comment?

friday
05-20-2002, 06:38 PM
ok guys dont' turn this into some racial battle or anything like that. the answer i'd like to know is to andoi's question on san shou rules. so lets talk about that instead hehe its got far more to do with kung fu and the main theme of this thread then...ehh ants and individualism

thanks

friday

diego
05-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Friday check your pm in five minutes

jon
05-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Hi peoples thank you all for everyones support.

FT. I will do my best to get you any information as it becomes available. I will send you any details as there made available for me. My sifu is part of a company called 'Australian and Chinese cultural and wushu exchange association' and these people are attempting to get a circuit up and running over here. I will forward any details i can find.

Tae Li
Thanks mate :) Your welcome over at my place anytime, just sms me and check im home.
We have to get in some training together, i may need you to have a look at my kicking form.

andoi
lol i remember that tournament, i WAS going to post a great long rant about how bad i thought it was but in the end i just posted a little complaint about the number of young black belts i had seen. Not sure if you remember but that tournament had a catagory for blackbelts 8-9yo:eek:
Still thanks for your kind words i have a lot of respect your pai and ive had nothing but good contact with them in the past. Our mutual friend im sure you know has my highest respects as well :)

As to San Shao...
I think the best thing will be to try and get some solid details and i will do my best to go around some of the Sydney schools and try to drum up some interest.
The rules are kinda complex but as a GENERAL overlay.
Its similar to Thai Kickboxing in look and structure but most international standard comps dont allow elbow and knee. Throws are highly encouraged and so are spinning kicks - these are the higher scoring moves. The fighting is both points and knockout based and points are scored for 'solid' hits and the points range according to the difficaulty of the movement.

The main thing i like about San Shao is it gives you more leway with tieing up your opponents hands. Becouse throwing is legal clinches are a different game and the fights are always fast fluent and look great to spectators.

As a side note...
I wont and cant advocate San Shao as being anything other than ring combat. The whole way its structured is to look good for a crowd and provide a sporting avenue for a test of skill. Its NOT representive of REAL traditional kung fu. Whilst you can certainly use the old mindsets its very hard to use the old moves just as there divised.
On the other hand if you already study traditional addapting is really pretty easy and its a blast to actualy do.
San Shao is like lion dancing, it helps your skill and looks great to a crowd. It even allows you training to aid in your endevour. However its still not the full real deal. nuff said :)

Any specifics either ask me hear or send me a pm and i will answer you as best i can.
If you want to know if something is legal or not just ask away :)

Merryprankster
05-20-2002, 08:17 PM
Jon,

Congratulations. I think this is a really big deal, and all I can say is: Welcome to competitive ringfight training--you're going to hate (love) every minute (that feels like an hour) of it!!! :)

Not that you didn't train hard before friend... not that you didn't before :)

jon
05-20-2002, 08:27 PM
Stacey

Although i thank you for the ideal behind your sentiments i have to respectfully ask that you DONT attempt your usual tactics here. I normaly ignore your posts and dont bother to reply as i dont really agree with your methods.
I know what your trying to do and im sure most with any intelligence can smell it a mile away. However what you forget is that your method is also blantently arragent and wreaks of self importance and logic flaws.
If you wish to make people think you need to lead them towards doing it themselfs. Slapping people about the head with a wet fish does nothing but cause a stir and add more cards to your already over stacked ego tower.

"show those Commie ants what Aussies are made of"
* No matter how hard you try to justify it as a witty social critisim your comment is STILL blatantly racist. I dont need to hear it and im sure anyone who IS of asian background doesnt need to either.

"the antlike conformity and lack of individualism. The great fear of the oligarchy."
* You tried to word this as though you understand something but in truth you dont have a clue. You speak as though this is the fault of the general public.

I dont want to debate this with you stacey and you can try insults if you wish but i dont think you will get your claws in far.

Im only asking you politly not to post that kind of statement in this thread, i realise i cant MAKE you stop so im just asking you nicely.
I really dont want to see my thread turn into a political debate or a racial sterotype free for all.
Hope you understand
Thanks and happy training
Jon

Ryu
05-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Jon, Good luck! I'm sorry I didn't post on this thread earlier. :)
I wish you the best.

Ryu

Stacey
05-21-2002, 08:34 AM
No, not racist,

Anti Communist. I would not have said the same thing about Taiwan. Yes it was "Us vs. Them." and no it had no social commentary to it. Just hating the "other"

so please.....kick some ass in the name of freedom.!!! Show those red *******s, what free men can do!....FRRRREEEEEDDDOOOOOOOM- Mel Gibson

They castrated Kung Fu....show em what still exists outside of their Red prison.

andoi
05-21-2002, 01:23 PM
..........................................still blind

andoi
05-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Jon
thanks for info.....sounds interesting...just on the note of illegal moves, well you know my Brother(our mutual freind) so you know the style is very aggressive, things like the uppercut(that you warned someone about in another thread) can do a lot of dammage...in general do u think we would have to alter a lot or just drop certain moves. thanx again

Bow Dul Fu
06-03-2002, 02:59 AM
:)

Liokault
06-03-2002, 04:04 AM
But san shou is already world wide. I do san shou in the Uk and I am going to go and try to qualify for the British san shou team in 2 weeks. That means I get to go to europe and fight germans french east europeans ect.

like I said san shou is every where but its not huge anywhere but china yet. What china need to do to get it into the olympics is to show that (i think its) 85 differant countries can compete in the event and that china will not dominate it.

I personaly think that san shou will not get into the olympics but if you are young and wanna go to the olympics in 2008 your in a perfect position to start training for it now (if it dose happen).

jon
06-03-2002, 04:40 AM
lol my thread made a reapperence.

andoi
* You guys im SURE could addapt to ring combat but i would say you may have to make a few sacrifices depending a little on the rules. As Stumblefist pointed out San Shao is HEAVILY baised towards throwing and spinning kicks. Hence whilst you may be able to knock the average person out cold with those swinging punches im not sure that they would do so well under a point scorring envioment. Still im SURE you guys could do well given half a chance.

"in general do u think we would have to alter a lot or just drop certain moves. thanx again"
* I think you would proberly find yourself doing a combination of the two. Honing some movements to make them legal and removing others compleatly. I think one of the main things though would just be to get hold of the ruleset and stuff. Im going to try and get a few printed up, ill try and get one over to you guys if your interested? At least then you can see exactly for yourself what will and wont be allowed.
To my memory White crane has some high level kicking ablity as well which im SURE could work in there favor in a ring situation.
Anyway let me know if you want a rule set and ill do what i can, already need to get one for FT.

Stumblefist
Im well aware of the bias San Shao has towards throws, we are an internal school so luckly the Bagua provides MANY nice throws and the Tai Chi has centre control. Its actualy a VERY solid combination for San Shao.

"Is the "full contact" you mentioned something different than Sanda?"
* I like to think of myself as a martial artist first, anything competive comes second. As such i spar full contact under just about any rules from ring right down to simple gentlemans agreements. I try not to fixate myself to much on anyone aspect as i dont want to lose why i study in the first place - the art.

BTW the reason for the bias towards throws is to do with the scoring. A non contested hand strike will earn you a single point, a takedown or throw nets you three. Hence obviously its MUCH better in terms of competion to contantly be on the lookout for a throw.

Bow Dul Fu
* There is no SET agelimit that im aware of yet, still im sure that indiviual competions would have there own limits.
Honestly man if your under 18 and your keen then start training. San Shao is basicaly just chinese kickboxing, a good avenue to test aspects of your combat ability and have some fun.
It has its own rules and regs but there not TOO stringent really, its a pretty darn good form of ring competion.
Its also certainly true that China are on the push for San Shao 2008, though we proberly wont know till after November.

Liokault
Glad to hear there are some others who are training in this format. I actualy have to say im doubtfull that San Shao will make it fully for 2008, one big problem is female competitors. Still wushu and Tai Chi are looking very solid and as such its highly likely that San Shao will at least be on display over there.
Anyway im crossing my fingers, i mean heck they let TKD into the olympics for crying out loud :p

Bow Dul Fu
06-04-2002, 05:59 AM
:D

Former castleva
06-04-2002, 06:25 AM
Gongrats.!
Do your best,and please donīt hurt them;)

dragontounge2
06-04-2002, 06:45 AM
You gotta be physically and mentally prepared. What is your workout routine?? Learn some good throws and drops and dont let them get there arms on you. Good luck;)

bluebeltjones
03-13-2003, 06:52 AM
hey congrats,

is this the wu-shu competition held in August this year? coz if it is i'll see you there, as a team from Perth is heading over.....