PDA

View Full Version : Dog Attacks

Can-O-Bud
05-17-2002, 02:31 AM
I just heard about a terrible dog attack in England where three young children were hospitalised (one seriously) by a Pit Bull.

I know this question has been put to the forum before, but does anyone have any practical, realistic defense techniques against violent dogs?

This kind of thing seems to happen again and again and the police only do something AFTER the event (ie destroy the dogs). Too little too late!

The idea of being attacked by a dog is a frightening one. At least with people you can tell when they're going to attack, dogs are harder to read.

Any ideas for discussion?

Former castleva
05-17-2002, 04:33 AM
Hi!
Letīs tell Iīm a person with lots of respect for the great friends of one-dogs.I do also have experiences with rodents.

This kind of accidents happen at times.
I donīt think there are any actual "dog defense"techniques created.If you face an angry dog,he/sheīs likely to have been treated with hands "conditioned" the wrong way.
Iīm am no kind/type of expert,but I think the dogīs intentions can be told (not to make any generalisations) Dogs do have a complex system of feelings performed by their body language and voice.
If you try to understand the signs given to you by the being,youīll have better changes to live with.
I believe this forum is not right kind of place to start giving sort of hints or "thruts" about application as the subject is pretty large and thereīs a lot of that and this to learn.
There is also quite a lot of information available about dog behavior (internet,books,people,dogs...) if youīd find it interesting :) Unlike humans,dogs,like many other animals,do what they gotta do.They DONīT do unnecessary things or collect anything excessive around them.
Sometimes we may become confused by actions where we just cannot "get the point",like why does my dog chew my apartment? Why does the tiger walk around in circles in his cage?
We should be able to make sure that dogs,like we,should be able the follow the natural ways of life.
A dog that harms a child,may have got his/her tail pulled or oneīs eyes hit a couple of times too many (not to forget that children do also have other signals that a dog may find scary) It can happen to anyone in general,itīs self-protection.
In the end I would like to remind that there are literally numerous families in which there are children,adults etc. living in harmony with dogs (who also happen to save human lives daily,and treat depression) Itīs also pretty unlikely to be attacked by a dog than to be attacked by a human with his superior mental forces.:confused:

Iīm not sure if this is what you were looking for,I hope it helps a bit.
;)

Can-O-Bud
05-17-2002, 07:42 AM
mmmmm ... no... it was nothing at all like what I was looking for.

I was looking for realistic, workable defense techniques against violent dogs.

Anyone else care to have a go?

chingei
05-17-2002, 08:19 AM
short metal baton

stoli
05-17-2002, 09:00 AM
I've personally seen the results of dog attacks on children and adults on a regular basis (unfortunately).

I really can't say that there's a lot you can do, dogs have phenomenal bite strength and can cause a lot of damage wherever they bite, the problem isn't bad dogs but bad owners which is the point of one of the previous posts I think. If anyone replies with any points about 'holding open the dogs jaws to prevent them biting you' or similar ideas is talking plain old bu##sh#t!!!!

I would suggest trying to get some kind of 'equaliser', big stick, lump of metal, anything. If you have time the best thing to do might be to wrap your jacket round your arm and hope that if the dog does bite you this will protect you enough. Failing that, if it concerns you that much, just always carry a nice raw steak with you wherever you go and throw that in the other direction when you see a dog!!!!!!!

Sorry not to be much help but seeing the results gives me this perspective.

Former castleva
05-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Back again.
Sorry,if I could not help.
Maybe another try helps,may it be my last.

Of course any kind of weapon helps.
It would not hurt to have some minimal fighting skill in martial arts (yeah,how many of us have sparred with dogs? Iīve only played)
If you do have a good attack,youīre probably on your way there.
I would suggest you try to take off everything from your surroundings.You have/got shoes? ;) or a jacket? Could come in handy,just like a belt...
Belt,can be used to "whip" with snapping motion.Train a bit,when you become skilled,you might want to use metal buckle end of it.
Shoe,can be used to throw or strike with.
Jacket,Can be used to wrap,if you are skilled enough you could use it for clothing based choke hold ;) OR to wrap it around your forearm/hand to protect your upper limb,which can be a likely target.

Iīve also been told that if a dog tries to bite your arm off,you may place your hand under his/her stomach and raise/"lift" the dog upwards,which shall make dog let go of you (I would like to use this kind of method,would not cause any harm :) )

Where to go for:Kidneys and liver are known to be weak areas of this creature (And itīs good to know that it would possibly be very dangerous,so first think :o )

And prevention:I guess it has something do with where you are located at,this kind of attack could be taken lightly as if you would be on the streets,where there are buildings all around to promise you an easy escape.
But this may not always be the case.

:)

Maestro1700
05-17-2002, 10:30 AM
if your really paranoid about a enraged dog attacking you the best weapon you can get is a taser, pepper spray does not work. i know form personal experience, and no chingei a metal baton wouldnt work since most enraged dogs that would attack at random like this guy is afraid of could take the weak beating you could give em with a baton

a cup might be a good thing to walk around with to, if your that afraid

Black Jack
05-17-2002, 10:34 AM
I know something about dogs,

I have posted on this subject before and to be honest, most humans have a very serious disadantage when placed on the biting end of a working class dog, not to mention a protection trained breed, the best physical tactic I can tell you, besides a firearm, is that when bit, do not try and pull your arm out, you will get shredded, if you value your arm push your bitten hand of arm as deep into the dogs mouth as it can go, this same tactic goes for human bite, it will relieve pressure on the bite and force the mouth open, though the dog will just get another clamp on you if you are not fast enough to get your arm out of the way again.

simon_peter
05-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Considering that a dog doesn't have the back-leg scratching slicing power of a cat... when bitten, could you give the dog a sharp yank/ latch a vise grip on its privates? Its got no arms to block with, right?

Not that I would willingly want to go around groping dogs. But, it seems this could be a good tactic to use when bitten.

Black Jack
05-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Here is why techs are for the most part worthless when dealing with a strong and determined dog, first when bit, you will be in MAJOR pain, they are the masters of pressure points, pardon the pun, they will not just sit there and gnaw on the body part, they will slam into you, pull you, twist, turn, and manuever, a dog with a gamebreed heritage will flay its head as if whipping a wet rag, not only will your arm be broken, but a dog like a American Pit Bull Terrier or other powerfull breed can actually turn that bone into shards or powder.

They have a set of knifes in there mouth, serious strength-much more so than the ordinary joe-serious endurance-senses-agility-and best of all pure confidence, no bluffing for them, its just go time, when they commit, I have been in the bite suit on a few occasions, and just the hit alone knocks the shot out of you, I have talked with people where it has actually bruised them to the bone and even one guy who had a dislocated shoulder, this not even from the bite, just the first hit.

Taking this into account, you getting off any precise shots are nil to zip, that is if we are talking about a strong and determined dog, grabbing its ****** won't mean much, neither will punching it in the head, kicking it, or trying to scratch out its eyes, some of the dogs I have seen in training seem to love that extra slap the trainer puts into the drill, feeds them more energy, once it has you, you are going to be in pain, the only time it will let go is to go after a better grip, be that grip your head, balls, legs, throat.

If you find yourself fighting with a strong dog, fight for your life, try to grapple, if you can, and finnish it off, if you can even get that far you are going to walk away with some major problems of your own.

Best bet, shoot them, before they can ge you, or grab any weapon you can, chair, broom, whatever, forget the empty hands.

AndyM
05-17-2002, 05:31 PM
Hi,

this is probably an Urban Myth, but I did read somewhere that grabbing the two forelegs of the offending pooch, and pulling them apart 180 sharply, can split the breast bone and/or cause heart trauma.

I guess the dog would be ripping out your throat at the same time, but you might as well p-i.s.s it off some more!

andy:D

Cranestyle
05-18-2002, 09:02 AM
i've heard about the "push your hand down the dogs gob as far as you can" that blackjack mentioned being used in fights against dogs, i've also heard about a kick to the stomach being one of the more instant ways of dealing with an aggressive dog, don't know if thats true though.

uhwo
05-19-2002, 01:28 AM
I know this question has been put to the forum before, but does anyone have any practical, realistic defense techniques against violent dogs?

My sifu taught me that dogs are very much like tigers, a good hit in the neck or throat will REALLY hurt the dog and it'll run away, most hits in not-so-vital places will only make the dog more ****ed off.

-uhwo

DelicateSound
05-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Black Jack obviously has more experience here, but two tyhings I'd like to point out:

BEHAVIOUR:

Don't misinterpret defensive bahaviour for attacking. If it's lying low growling, it's on defense, if it's hackles are raised and it's ready to charge it will.

MAIMING THE MUTT:

Obviously don't run. You'll look stupid and it will just makeit easier. With most dogs shouting at it loudly will make it think twice. If it's a real Bad-Ass, this will do f*ck all. Like BJ said, if it is trained in law enforcement ETC you're dead.

If unarmed, only thing I can think of is to turn side on, so it can't get your gonads and guts, to keep your hands high and quick to avoid the clamp, and to try and wrestle with it. A dog leaping for you is gonna get you sooner or later. But if you can get on its back and choke it out with its own collar - you're OK.

Get in close, it's only weapon is its jaws, so stay out of their way.

And whoever mentioned fighting a tiger will be dead before the age of 25.

uhwo
05-19-2002, 01:46 PM

I was not meaning about fighting a tiger bare-handed, I just said they had the same weak spots =) Just some stuff I heard from my Sifu =)

chingei
05-19-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by uhwo

My sifu taught me that dogs are very much like tigers, a good hit in the neck or throat will REALLY hurt the dog and it'll run away, most hits in not-so-vital places will only make the dog more ****ed off.

-uhwo

sifu fought alot of tigers has he?

uhwo
05-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by chingei

sifu fought alot of tigers has he?

Prolly not =) He trained in a monastery in some vietnamese jungle, so probably his teacher could have known that.

-uhwo

Shadow Dragon
05-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Hi.

I don't think that there is much that you can do against Dog Attacks.

My Family been breeding Chow-Chow for many a Years and we trained them with a variety of other dogs.

I agree that most Dog attacks are not the fault of the Dog, but of the owner and the sometimes the Person being attacked.

Especially around Kids there are some Dogs that are good and some that are not.

The other factor also depends on the Dog species, some have been so overbred like German Sheppards that the start off a bit nuts in the head.
Others like a Chow Chow been bred to pull sleds and are VERY powerfull.Raising a Dog correctly should also prevent attacks.

Personally, I still like the Chow Chow.
Highly intelligent, mentality close to a Wolf (No growling/barking, attacks suddenly), very protective of it's owner/group/pack and will protect them without any additional training to the death if needed.

Also got one of the strongest Jaws among Dogs, if not the strongest.
Human- aver. 100kg per sqcm.
German Sheppard - aver 400kg per sqcm.
Chow Chow - aver 1t per sqcm.
Peace.

P.S.: No I would not put my Hand into a Chow Chow's Mouth even if my life depended on it.

guohuen
05-20-2002, 09:15 PM
Shadowdragon, I live with chow chows also. Currently I have two large males, Kan and Li. They're very powerfull dogs. Either one can pull me up an ice covered hill on a short leash. Kan, the older of the two used to like to take out the neighbor's great dane. Hilarious to watch. he would run at the dane's side and roll sideways and take his legs out. I've been training dogs for 42 of my 45 years so I Know the tricks of breeding and training so I can put my hand in either of my dogs mouths. When I was a kid it was pointers and german shorthair pointers. My grandfather was a breeder/trainer of pointers for both upland birds and waterfowl. At any given time there was about 150 dogs in his kennel. The noise at feeding time was unbelievable! We've had three chow chows now and I'm totaly sold. They're my favorite now.

chingei
05-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Dragon
[B

P.S.: No I would not put my Hand into a Chow Chow's Mouth even if my life depended on it. [/B]

so you would rather die than lose a hand?

Shadow Dragon
05-20-2002, 10:20 PM
Chingei.

Yep, pretty much accurate.

I have seen what one did do a Dog Trainer that wore the protective training suit, lets just say we had to take him to Hospital to get his arm stitched up as the Dog bit right through the protection and into his arm to the Bone.

And he was only slightly annoyed at the Guy for pretending to want to hurt his owner when he did that.

Peace.

premier
05-21-2002, 09:09 AM
Chow chows are cool as hell =) I love the blue tongue =)

Mr Punch
05-21-2002, 10:11 PM
I used to throw my dog a weiner to stop him attacking other dogs!

Hoohm, shcooby-shnax!!:D

Former castleva
05-25-2002, 06:21 AM
Nice to see that there are people who like dogs in here.
Chow-Chow is a chubby dog:)
My personal favourite (race) happens to be Alaskan Malamute.
Relatively big,powerful,has the endurance,strength and will of a tiger.
An arctic dog which was made to pull sleds and withstand hard kind of weather.
Also pretty intelligent and good-looking (has oneīs downsides though)
Donīt have a one right now,couple of others (which,of course,are equal)

About loosing limbs.
Literally losing a hand would not probably be very far from actual death,but results may vary.

dnc101
05-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Carrying arround raw steak is liable to attract more dogs than it will repel! (LOL)

Black Jack has the best handle on the situation. In addition to his advice about thrusting your hand or arm back into the mouth if he's already grabed you, I'd add this; with some dogs you may be able to grab them under the jaw so that your fingers wrap behind it's teeth. A pit bull is probably not one of those types of dog, unfortunately. And you do risk some verry dammaged fingers. But you are in a bad situation here- you are probably not going to come out of it unscathed in any event.

I've helped work with police dogs, and if you are up against a dog trained to this level you are in real trouble. The good news is that if you do what the dog wants- ie hold or come out- it probably won't harm you. The bad news is- you're busted. And if you resist, you're shredded and busted.

There are also dogs that have been trained for general security at different levels. They will usualy ignore the steak, go arround your arm wraped with a jacket, and attack a vital spot. You are probably in a fight for your life, though some of the better trained dogs may just hold you (busted again). They are very territorial, so if you don't invade their area you are probably ok.

On the street, most dogs will not attack if you stand your ground. I used to be a distance runner, and a lot of house mutts tried to chase me. I used to turn the tables on them and chase them instead. It was great fun, but I never actually caught one. Too bad- that might have made a good story.

If the dog does attack, that's allready been covered by others. Same with reading body language. The only thing I can add is pull out all the stops as this is a serious situation.

If any one is interested in cedentials, mine are a background in emergency services and a part time stint as Animal Control Officer in a small town (they couldn't afford a full time dog catcher, so they gave me a fancy title for a few hours eavery month). (Oh, and I had to clean the `%$#@! pound too!)

Black Jack
05-26-2002, 05:27 PM
Just wanted to point out for the record, though I would like to see a scientific study that has done so, that there is no gauging factor for the strength of a dogs bite.

They used to use that old line on the American Pit Bull Terrier, but no one could EVER come up with proof of a scientific study, check it out, its become sort of a urban myth.

Other bogus urban myths that have gone around over the years are a Dobermans brain will swell and cause it to go mad, Pit Bulls are Bullet Proof, Pit Bulls have natural lock-jaw-this is a big one-there is no such condition and is only contracted through a disease.

I am a HUGE fan and owner of the American Pit Bull Terrier...aka...Pit Bull...though I just call him a bulldog...as he is the direct link to the orginal breed.

IMHO there is no better dog in the world, they just need better owners.

I also like Scot & Hybrid Line American Bulldogs, Olde Engilsh Bulldogge's, Boxers, Victorian Bulldogs, Cane Corso's, American Bandogs, Irish Stratfordshire Terriers, Stratfordshire Bull Terriers, Mastiffs-Neo-French-Bull-Engilsh-Brazil, Dogo's, Great Danes, Presa's, Dobermans, and a host of other dogs, both bull based and of course hound.

Taone
05-27-2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by DelicateSound
If it's lying low growling, it's on defense, if it's hackles are raised and it's ready to charge it will.

I thought the hackles thing was defensive as well - my dog used to put the hackles up when it was wary and growling. Never attacked anyone though.
She was a Rhodesian Ridgeback though, cross with a black labrador. Beautiful :)

As for techniques, these aren't speaking from expertise, this is just things I thought might be possible from playing with dogs. However, when you take into consideration the speed and power of a dog that really is serious, it probably is completely impractical.

Kicking (like soccer kick upwards) if the dog leaps.

If the dog does get your arm or hand, forcing it back and up as hard as you can and then using the other forearm to push down and forwards on its neck behind its head (don't know what to do then, but it's a frustating kind of lock for the dog up the road I play with :) Be different if it was really biting hard and shaking though).

Side stepping a leap (if it is going for the body, not the limbs), and using a pak sao to the head and using the other arm to grab its front leg.

Please don't take this as a 'fighting a dog is easy, you just do this and this. I've done it heaps of times.'
Just my thoughts, and how I defend against my canine-friend when he PLAYFULLY attacks (except for the kicking one of course :)). I realise the game changes completely when the dog goes full speed, full power, chomps down and shakes.

Peace

stoli
05-27-2002, 08:19 AM
dnc - nothing against Scotsman !! What makes you say that ?? (well obviously any male who chooses to wear a skirt in public might be a bit shady !!) (I'm kidding by the way for all you kilt wearers out there!!)

Fair point about the steak as well, wonder if that's why I always seem to end up taking home the dogs when I'm out drinking on a saturday night !!?? :)

JWTAYLOR
05-27-2002, 09:01 AM
1. Every single person who I have ever talked to that has raised large sporting dogs has given the same advice for attack. It's the same thing Black Jack suggested and it's the same thing I've experienced.

2. Do a search on Dog Attacks on this forum and you'll find some good discussion, as well as some of the dumbest sh!t I've ever heard in my life. Such as REACHING DOWN on a dog and pulling it's leg's apart. (Really, what do you think the dog will be doing to your head, face, and neck while you're reaching down there?)

Hey BlackJack, I saw an APBT doing some amazing tricks at Zilker Park here in Austin this weekend. The owner was throwing a rope toy up in the air and the dog was jumping up, grabbing the rope, AND DOING A BACKFLIP ON THE WAY DOWN. I've seen Jack Russells do this before, but never Pit Bulls. It was phenominal. He was doing all sorts of frisbee tricks. He would sit, lay down, roll over, and WIGGLE, all from hand gestures, no verbal commands. And the dog was loving it. Big ol smile on his face.

What was the name of that Brazillian dog bred with Great Danes for hog baying? I want to get my wife a larger breed for while I'm away for Army training. (November through April).

JWT

DelicateSound
05-27-2002, 12:05 PM
BlackJack - NOTE:

It is a Staffordshire Bull terrier OK. Staffordshire.

No such place as "Stratfordshire". There is a town of Stratford, but the county is Staffordshire. The capitol is Stafford. I live 5 miles from there.

Not to be fussy :) At all. :D

Or I'll be calling it Wollonville :D

Liokault
05-27-2002, 12:49 PM
No such place as "Stratfordshire". There is a town of Stratford, but the county is Staffordshire. The capitol is Stafford. I live 5 miles from there.

Hey delicate you better watch out for the foxes around staffordshire now the fox hunters are no longer keeping them down.

I suggest you get a fighting dog to protect you....the foxes are starting to make street gangs now and are mugging binmen.

JWTAYLOR
05-27-2002, 01:59 PM
WTF is a binman?

JWT

DelicateSound
05-27-2002, 02:47 PM
Sorry Yanks :D

"A refuse collection officer" or something like that. Probably a "trash dude" in Texas.

Liokault: I've heard they are hanging around local cat-haunts, beating up kitties for Go-Cat.

Liokault
05-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Yup Binman = trash guy. Foxes in the UK follow the binmen round.

The Willow Sword
05-27-2002, 02:56 PM
there is a particular brand of mace on the market that the park rangers use in arizona against the bears. this brand is real good though i have forgotten the name,,, it uses an co2 blast so that it can really discharge quite nicely.

dogs are great animals, it is a shame that low life individuals continuously use and abuse them for fighting and harsh training to make them into a "security guard".

in austin texas there is a man who i used to train with by the name of john blankenship,,,,his school is the cha yon ryu system and he has carried the very brand of mace that i have talked about. i have no idea if he still does.

dogs have an acute sense of smell and taste and sight. this stuff will take advantage of that and thwart them.

one must also consider the timing when being attacked by a dog. the mace i speak of is holstered, not carried on a keychain or a purse.

Many Respects,, The Willow Sword

Black Jack
05-27-2002, 04:48 PM
JWT,

The dog is called a Dogo Argentino, its a top class catch dog/boar hunter. Unlike our dogs here in the states, in Argentine the boar hunters do not put body kevlar armour on there dogs, the dogs go in o'natural and the hunters use the traditional bone-handled dagger to kill the boar after the Dogo's have brought the boar to the ground and our holding it still, since this method is so risky these dogs are the state of the art for this type of work.

Here is a link for you, I have heard very good things about these dogs, but as with all dogs use your best judgements on a decision that will best fit your family and loved ones.

http://dogo.org/

APBT's are the bomb, I just love them to death, total clowns and loyal to the very bone. In WWI they were America's fighting mascot, I will try to find the link of the old historic banner, very cool stuff.

Delicate,

Sorry for the misspelling, jeezz:D

JWTAYLOR
05-28-2002, 06:31 AM
Muchos Gracias.
JWT

JWTAYLOR
05-28-2002, 07:16 AM
I found a DACA breeder about 2 hours from my house.

We got my little sister a Catahula Cur last year and it's turned out to be a great dog. I've been considering one of those.

BTW, I may be in the Goat Dairy business soon.

JWT

Black Jack
05-28-2002, 07:29 AM
JWT,

Catahula Cur is that like a Black Mouth Cur, its sounds like one of those American to the core, pure rural mixes used for hunting and farmwork, I call them good old boy dogs, strong, smart, loyal, full of character, you tend to find a lot of unkown local breeds in certain backwood areas of our country, special mixed dogs used for generations by certain towns or families for real life work.

Goat Dairy business, that sounds like a trip, do you mean buying a farm or something like a share in livestock?

JWTAYLOR
05-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Ok, a little background,

My wife, you know, theMDPhD Micro Biologist/Epedimiologist, grew up on an Organic Goat Dairy/Organic Flower and Herb Farm owned and run by her mother. The farm now employs her mom, her sisters, as well as some Mexican immigrants that we've got citizenship for and built a house for on the farm. It does a very brisk business, and has been profitable for more than 10 years. Several supermarkets, specialty shops, and restaurants buy the cheese, and lots of places buy the flowers and herbs as well.

Her mom wants to move back to California, where her family has a ranch in Sonoma, and start farming out there.

My wife made a deal with her mom to buy the farm from her, and start running it. She'd quit her current job and work out there for a year or so to get back in the groove of things. Then we'd take over completely.

It's hard work, but pretty rewarding, and I know it would make my wife happy. I'm willing to give it a shot. And it's a great way to raise kids, which we'll be kickin out here pretty soon.

JWT

Black Jack
05-28-2002, 08:45 AM
That sounds like a interesting career, hope you guys enjoy it, maybe you could invent a organic goat gung fu system and sell it to the masses.:D

JWTAYLOR
05-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Have you ever been around a Boer Goat?

They need no Kung Fu.

Surely, surely, they are the foulest animals on the planet.

JWT

Can-O-Bud
05-30-2002, 01:10 AM
Guys,

Thanks for some great discussion! This has been a good thread.

Just to expand a bit further, does anyone know anything about dog psychology?

I heard once that dogs get very agitated at high pitched noises, ie children's screams, etc...

So its stands to reason that if your being attacked, you shouldnt scream your head off! Is it possible to pacify a dog by staying calm?

Are there any techniques that you guys know about that relaxes a crazy dog when its attacking?

Shadow Dragon
05-30-2002, 01:14 AM
Here is what I have heard.

A Dog's hearing is different from Human, they can hear some sounds we hardly can.

Also Dog ears can't tune into loud noises, thus loud shouting at a Dog will be useless as some can't hear it.

The best way to give a sharp command is a quiet, sharp command.

Hope this helps.

stoli
05-30-2002, 02:14 AM
If a dog looks like it's about to attack you, sit it down and calmly ask it if it really wants to attack you and does it understand the implications of it's actions then.....................hang on that's dog psychiatry not psychology, sorry.

JWTAYLOR
05-30-2002, 06:28 AM
Good point Stoli, but there is some real validity to telling a dog no.

90% of all the dogs we come across are domesticated animals. They've likely been somebody's dog, somewhere. Many of them know what "no" means (remember guys, no means maybe, and a kick to the groin means no).

So, telling a barking dog no, not screaming hysterically, but telling a dog no in a sharp commanding tone often does work to stall or stop the dog.

JWT

Black Jack
05-30-2002, 09:28 AM
Dogs can hear loud noises.

Take a puppy around a guy who roars up his Harley and he will cower and try to take cover, I have seen it happen to a few dogs, its all about stimuli, once a dog has experianced it he will not be as frightened, though each dog is different.

When I tell a unknown dog no, I use a commanding, firm and loud voice, though I am not screaming like I just sh!it my pants at an orgy.

Oh and I know this is common sense, but if you do happen to cross paths with a dog you have never met before, let him smell your hand, before you stick your face down there and start going "oggly goggly pretty doggey".

Though again, don't ever do that. :D

Taone
05-31-2002, 08:48 PM
Is it a good idea to let a dog smell your hand??
I've always done it naturally, but is it a good idea or is it just like offering it a meal?? Or does it depend entirely on the dog and it's temperament?? :)

Black Jack
05-31-2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks for calling me on that.

To clarify, I mean let a unkown dog smell your hand if your in a friendly enviroment, a friends house, a dog park, that type of stuff, or if you plan on petting a unkown dog period for whatever reason, if the dog is acting aggressive this flys out the window, non aggressive dogs only.

Cheers

wufupaul
06-07-2002, 07:51 AM
http://www.austin360.com/aas/metro/060702/0607shootout.html Read about the pit bull in this story, crazy stuff.

Black Jack
06-07-2002, 01:14 PM
One- The guy was a complete dumb**** -a darwin award winner
for sure.

Two-A loyal to the core dog-very sad-thats the kind of unconditional friendship and loyalty you see with that breed-hard to find with any other dog breed on the planet.

I wish things went differently.

Buddha_Fist
06-11-2002, 10:58 AM
What about kicking the dog's body like you've never kicked before (full power!) or hardcore punching its head (possibly throat or neck)? I don't know if it would work, but if there's no way to escape effectively I would fight back instead of acting like a victim that doesn't.

Just an idea... :eek:

Black Jack
06-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Who said don't fight back????

scotty1
06-13-2002, 02:23 AM
"I am not screaming like I just sh!it my pants at an orgy. "

Do you sh!t your pants at orgies? What kind of friends do you have?

popsider
06-13-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Can-O-Bud
I just heard about a terrible dog attack in England where three young children were hospitalised (one seriously) by a Pit Bull.Any ideas for discussion?

No offense mate but was this the attack in Walsall/W.Mids ? If so this was initially reported as being by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - later this was changed to a Bull Mastiff Cross.

The trouble is with the media who sensationalise these things. It was a terrible attack but they should still get their facts straight - especially as countries are now introducing breed specific legislation.

Pit Bulls have been illegal to breed or import into the UK for many years and whilst you still do see the odd dog that appears to be a pit bull they are very very rare and may just be cross breeds which turn out to have similar appearance.

popsider
06-13-2002, 03:53 AM
If a bull terrier type breed had hold of you it will try and shake you a bit but they tend to settle down and just hold on - you should pick out some obvious target and hit it - I think repeated strikes to the neck would be effective - otherwise gouge it's eyes, pull it's bollocks off - if you have a weapon use it. If you have a strong stick maybe try twisting its collar - eg put stick through collar and turn it. Maybe you could pick it up/manouever it in such a way that you impale it on some iron railings if any are handy? If you do an internal art just use your chi :)

As someone said do not try and pull your arm/leg out - believe me you wont be able to do it - nor will you be able to prise its jaws apart with your hands. They do not lock their jaws as such but they have incredibly strong jaw muscles.

The way to separate 2 fighting dogs is wait until they have a hold and then choke them off - if 2 Staffs or similar do start fighting it is inadvisable to intervene until they have a hold as if they really go at it they are incredibly fast and it would be like trying to grab a fighting cat.

In the UK you are highly unlikely to be attacked by a pit bull, and Staffs are too small to really kill an adult (plus they are actually a very reliable dog and highly unlikely to attack you - you are at much more risk from one of the guarding breeds imho). Realistically if you remain calm a dog is not a threat to your life - you are stronger and more intelligent.

I don't know what a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman would do if it attacked you - it may not hold on like a bull terrier type - I've only ever owned Staffs and similar - they are not actually my choice - it's the missus that likes them.

youshang
06-13-2002, 05:57 AM
If a dog attacks you, then you're not really gonna get away, try running and you'll annoy it, stand there and it'll possibly kill ya. What do you do? Avoid getting attacked by a dog. :D No seriously, if the dog gets a grip, grab it's throat as far down to the body as you can, and push up. This makes them feel sick and, obvously, begins to cut off their air supply. Don't just hold it, really grab it.

Dogs are instinctive predators, they go for the throat, if you grab theirs they'll think they've attacked a predator and may back down if you act crazy enough.

Former castleva
06-13-2002, 07:15 AM
Iīll pop out and say hello;)
About letting him/her smell your hand.
I think thatīs allright.If you are trying to get to know an unknown dog.
Avoid loud noises.
Donīt show your teeth,dogs hate people with dirty teeth;)
Be gentle and confident with your movement.
Let him/her smell your hand (so heīll get to know you a bit and possibly ignore fear)
Come with peace.
About separating dogs:
If not absolutely neseccary (donīt go to the middle of two fighting dogs) Dog(s) are likely to bite you as well as a random enemy (even if dog is your own)
Some tips on separating:
If there are two people-one dog,one person (owner possibly)
You both shall grab your own dogs backlegs (you grab yours,he/she grabs his/hers) and suddenly,pull them towards you to opposite directions-to separate them and end the fight.
Tip2:
If possible,try to distract them by spraying water on them (works best if this happens in a garden or related where this choise might come to play possible.)

Black Jack
06-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Here is a tip on seperating dogs that are caught in a heated roll.

The water thing may work for the more timid breeds but for the working or bull lines-in this specific case the APBT-you should learn how to work whats called a breaking or parting stick, as anything else won't do much good when they are committed, due to the purpose of there background.

I carry one when I go to the dog park, its a good tool to have, it is a stick with a narrow front end, almost like a wood chisel, when a dog is clamped onto another, take the parting stick and put it in the open space behind the main fangs and start to work it like a lever, it WILL make them open there jaws, make sure the other owner has a hold of there dog so it does not retry to attack once your dog is free, and make sure you have a grip on your dog when this is going on as well.

This method has been used for a LONG time with the true game bred dog fighters of old and it is the only thing I think would really work on the big breeds.

TzuChan
06-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by DelicateSound

Dude ... LMFAO ! :D Haha that killed me when I read it loooool

Cranestyle
06-15-2002, 06:57 AM
Got my finger nearly chewed off about 15 minutes ago.
There is no self defense techniques known to man that can stop the mutts from munching on your fingers as you try and post a leaflet advertising your kung fu club through their letterbox.

now i gotta go get a tetnus shot :mad:
i definately prefer cats