PDA

View Full Version : Question for Everybody and Minor Rant

Kungfu boy
05-17-2002, 02:56 AM
Now I'm guessing alot of you have dedicated years to your study of the arts. And I want your opinion on a little situation.

There is this Kid(15-17yrs old) who has come to the school(Muay Thai). He claims to have experience in several arts and this is supposedly his second year in kickboxing. Real big mouth too. But to the point, its pretty aparent that he's lied as I don't see any proof of past experience. He can't kick worth crap, and if he's been doing it a year then, he's been doing it really wrong. He wants to work with me, but its a waste of my time and training.

Now for my question for you guys. What would you do in my place? What about you guys who run schools, whats your take on this?

I haven't talked to my instructor about it yet and probably won't unless there is a major problem. It just bugs me ya'll. I just don't see why people have to come in and lie to others to seem all important.

Thanks guys

Hai_To
05-17-2002, 06:55 AM
He's probably insecure and wants to make himself out to have more experience because he probably feels he needs to do that in order to fit in.

He's still a kid (of course when I was his age I would have disagreed). He's in a new situation, and he's probably nervous.

Mention to him that his kicking needs improvement. You can phrase it as "we do things differently here". That will allow him to save face and work on establishing a solid foundation.

Budokan
05-17-2002, 06:59 AM
He may very well have had experience in MA before. You don't really think McDojos and McKwoons do a good job of teaching fundamental basiscs, do you...?

Kungfu boy
05-19-2002, 03:16 AM
That a mcdojo is a possbility but the chances that he went to three in a row are pretty slim.

He even tried to wrestle one of our guys(BJJ student) who almost got an arm bar but the teacher stopped it. Probably to save this kid some self respect.

I hope its a humbling experience for him. That may seem mean but I want him to learn the lesson from it.