PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read 'The Path to Wing Chun'?

Phenix_Eye
05-17-2002, 06:35 AM
Its written by Master Samael Kwok. What do you guys think of it?

dbulmer
05-18-2002, 01:56 AM
I have the book. I like it. The SLT I am taught is of a different lineage but it does no harm in knowing differences.

What I like in the book is the photo size. They are largish - I have a couple of other books on SLT but the photos are too small. The devil is in the detail as they say.

Phenix_Eye
05-18-2002, 03:23 AM
I just wanted to know what anyone else thought of it. I am training under this lineage and maybe meet the guy in the next couple of months.

Mr Punch
05-18-2002, 07:49 AM
Samuel Kwok is good. I don't train in his lineage any more but you should learn a lot from him.

I don't like his book - I found it a bit commercial and simplistic. Mind you, I find most martial arts books a bit commercial and simplistic.

And who am I to comment!!?:rolleyes: :D

stuartm
05-20-2002, 03:37 AM
Hi Phoenix Eye,

I am an instructor for Sifu Kwok in South Wales, UK. Who will you be training under in the next few weeks and when will you be meeting sifu? A couple of points, and i'll try not to be biased:

1. The book is excellent with very good historical information, and the SLT sequences, as pointed out, are very useful for reference.

2. You will not be disappointed with Sifu's Wing Chun - it is direct, combative and his chi sau is superb. He is very free with knowledge and will not hold anything back. Also he is a very down to earth guy and will spend time with you in explaining details. Sifus Wing Chun is very much of the Ip Ching vein - ie lots of turning and continuous hitting. I tried under other sifus and once i discovered sifu kwok i knew it was the 'path' to go down.

Good luck in your training and if you want to email me with any questions, then please feel free to do so at: welshwingchun@yahoo.co.uk

Alternatively, check out the excellent website for the Sam Kwok Wing Chun Martial Arts Assoc - www.kwokwingchun.demon.co.uk

Regards, Stuart

Phenix_Eye
05-20-2002, 04:48 AM
Ive been training Wing Chun for almost a year now but have only been training in this lineage for about half a year. My current teacher is Steve Dyde and he is trying to get Master Kwok do a seminar here in about mid June.

stuartm
05-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Hi Phenix Eye,

I met Steve recently at a seminar in Worcester for the first time ( I only qualified under Sifu Kwok last year ) and he is a very nice guy. I think he is arranging a seminar in coventry for June along with another instructor in the SKMAA - is this the one you mean? I may go with some of my students so i may see you there. What lineage were you with before - again if you want to speak privately you can e-mail me. Im sure you'll be impressed by Sifu once youve seen / felt his ability first hand!

Good luck, stay in touch !

Stuart