PDA

View Full Version : Pull My Finger

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 06:35 AM
Has anyone here found that finger chin na is helpful in fight situations/full contact sparring, or are they too much fine motor skills for a full fight?

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-17-2002, 06:51 AM
i can't even manage to pull out arm locks i have practiced a bit let alone wrist locks and what not. i just aint got the eye for it yet.

jon
05-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Im usualy to busy blasting chi ;)

Seriously i actualy have a lot of trouble getting in standing chin na against anyone with half a loaf of experience. The bad ones will get out on the way and the good ones will let you attempt to get in then work the hell out you for your effort. I personaly love nothing more than someone attempting to wrist lock or arm lock me when im standing. It gives me more oppontunity to work on my other striking surfaces like my hip head and sholders not to mention kicking them strait in the groin.
Ground locks unfortunately i have to say from experience work quite well as the leverage on the ground is definerent and it prevents them from kicking you most of the time :)

As for actual FINGER locks...
I cant say ive ever tried or felt the need, if i can lock his finger i should proberly have done something slightly more distructive buy now;) Breaking fingers is all well and dandy in a real fight but i certainly dont attempt that in sparring.

Still im by and large a striker, i will certainly grapple a bit but its only to gain oppontunity to get in further strikes. Hence im proberly not the best person to be commentating.
I dont know why im still here:rolleyes:

Oh yeah back to the blasting of chi...

Former castleva
05-17-2002, 07:25 AM
Well...
This is what itīs supposed to be..;)

Finger chin-na is one of the main categories of chin-na:finger,wrist,elbow,shoulder (not to mention other chin-naīs)
It should be relatively easier as fingers are smaller,weaker and then easier to break.
It is considered "small circle chin-na" because of itīs appearance.
My precious view:I donīt know finger manipulation but I understand that little finger (koyubi in japanese.Remember,itīs extremely important to understand that :D ) is one of the basic targets in an encounter,could sound wierd but it is very easy to twist backwards and break it.A good counter for a wrist grab BTW.
Simply twisting stronger fingers with brute force wonīt cause any results,and as always while applying chin-na/grappling,remember:
1.Works as a surprise.
2.When you grab,you usually have to take your opponents mind off his body,by doing atemi (strike to weak area) so he canīt resist,"muscling"/forcing is weak,takes lots of energy,does not work against stronger opponent or someone with any skill.
3.When you grab,please move yourself into a safety position so he canīt attack you and stop you from controlling him.

Thereīs a lot more but I think Iīll take a break.
:rolleyes:

shaolinboxer
05-17-2002, 07:39 AM
Catching a finger can work, catching all of the fingers at once works really well.

Also, Koichi Tohei had a set of finger throws. You have be able to take insanely good ukemi to receive a finger throw. On the flip side, I have seen my sensei perform a throw (shihonage) with someone resisting him by gripping his one finger.

Royal Dragon
05-17-2002, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I Love'em. Since it's so eaasy for the BJJ guy to take me down, I just wait untill they try some sort of arm bar, and i reach over and put them in serious pain with a finger Chi Na. They usually accuse me of cheating, but I say

"Hey, this is KUNG FU, we don't have no stinki'n rules!!" MUUUUAHHahahahahahahah!!!!

I have found them to be a really easy out for all sorts of stand up, and ground type grappeling situtions. I use them mostly for escapes, damm effective one's at that. I won't try to take someone out with a Finger Chi Na, or initiate one if I'm NOT in trouble, but If I AM in trouble they usually can save my behind "might rightly".

Former castleva
05-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Finger throws?
Oh,Iīve never heard.
Were they variations of traditional aikitechniques?
Well...I think you could add a finger lock to shihonage (I only know katatetori version) so when you go to the point just before take-down (where youīre A) use one hand to drop uke,so you just twist arm so that itīs possible to apply pressure to fingers (twist them backwards) I donīt know if itīs possible to throw someone by grabbing fingers rather than wrist but it could be used to damage fingers and drop or just drop...or B) Two hands,other lifting elbow,and other twisting fingers,like the last time.
BTW,How could uke grab,in this case,your senseiīs finger if he has him/her in shihonage (again supposing itīs katatetori :rolleyes:) it would sound like itīs easier for him to drop him as uke would already have destroyed another part of his balance,offering a stable kuzushi for nage.

Thatīs it,Iīm mouthing off a lot today.;)
Thanks for your time!

shaolinboxer
05-17-2002, 10:29 AM
Yes, finger throws are aiki-techniques.

To understand what my sensei did in that shihonage, imagine uke grabbing is index finger in katatedori (as if a southpaw and a orthodox stood jab to jab), and sincerely resisting sensei's effort (this is selective resistance, not all out "i'm gonna get you no matter what" resistance). Then sensei enters infront of uke (irimi), without lifting elbow to elbow, but by creating a total concentration of mind and body at that single point (the finger) and leading uke into, through, and out of the throw with his index finger (which carries the strength of his total self). This is very very hard to do, and he peformed in on an ex-boxer in our dojo (training with him is, as everyone tends to say, is like wrestling a bull).

guohuen
05-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Finger locks or breaks are my favorite way of dealing with a grab.