PDA

View Full Version : Making Dit Da Jow

azwingchun
05-17-2002, 12:25 PM
I have been making my own dit da jow now for about 7 years. I make it by just soaking the herbs, though I have read and been told that boiling the herbs is quicker. Is this true? The reason I ask is because I have also been told by boiling you lose some of the properties. Can anyone tell me if this is true?;)

David Jamieson
05-18-2002, 07:01 AM
Anything when boiled loses some of it's essence. It's the nature of what occurs.

However, in some things, efficacy cannot occur without the heating of the substance.

Most bruise medicines are not boiled, but are simply the required herbs soaked in alcohol for extended periods of time.

peace

azwingchun
05-18-2002, 07:25 AM
That's what I thought, thanks.;)

dfedorko@mindspring.com
05-20-2002, 06:41 AM
What has been said is true but, in addition, there are some recipes that are cooked. In order for certain herbs to release their essence they need to be boiled. I have such a recipe. Peace.

Damian

azwingchun
05-20-2002, 07:57 PM
Though do you think more is lost than is gained? Might be a silly question, though still a question.;)

dfedorko@mindspring.com
05-21-2002, 06:11 AM
Go with what the recipe says. Usually the person giving you the recipe should say whether to cook or not to cook. The jow I cook is a very good jow and it has helped many people. I also have a batch of the same jow just sitting on the shelf for some time now but I have yet to use it and compare. Peace.

Damian

David Jamieson
05-22-2002, 03:45 PM
defe****o, do you decoct the herbs prior to the "long soak" or do you mix the whole batch, then boil, then let sit?

I can see how some herbs need to have heat to release some qualities they contain. As opposed to just putting in all the herbs at once. I'm thinking that boiling alcohol can't be good :D

peace