PDA

View Full Version : My friend says san soo is the red headed step child of kung fu

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 03:17 PM
Of course, I know its not true, but other than this, I know little about san soo. What is it derived from? What are its strengths/weaknesses? Does the hsing yi stylist steal the san soo stylist's lunch money as well?

Oh, and DS, thanks for showing up, red.:p :) :D (just kidding, couldn't help it, the troll in me took over, its not my fault, I'm from Chicago and never learned manners.;) )

That was just wrong.

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 03:29 PM
True to form, the san soo thread gets no traffic.

DelicateSound
05-17-2002, 03:32 PM
The uncompromising, seeting anger that is coursing through my flame-topped body is unparalleled.

In the time it takes for my to hunt you down, you will be a deadman...... :D

You know what they say about angry red heads. [is actually true :)]

I've heard that even children steal the San Soo stylists money. Small children.

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Not The Seeting Anger!!!:eek:

I've heard that the kid with the neck brace stole the san soo fighters lunch money as well.

If this doesn't get the san soo guys on here, either the san soo guys are the most level headed guys on the forum, or there are no san soo guys on the forum.

DelicateSound
05-17-2002, 03:46 PM
LOL @ KC.

Do you remember:

Don't you come cose to me with that knofe or I'll have to dofond moself

? That was legendary - both in my f*ck up and your p!ss take. Ah the good old days........

There is one San Soo guy here -"San Soo Student". His last comment I read was:

Try SanSoo - it's one of the most effective arts I've practised

If that well-supported impartial piece of advide doesn't get you panting........

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm panting...tell me more:eek:

DelicateSound
05-17-2002, 03:50 PM
That was all he said. And just as I was reaching climax... :confused:

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Someone had that knife quote in their sig for a while, I'm not sure if it was Ironfist, but it was there. I think they attributed it to me.

There was one thread where members were talking about how could this stuff, some chemical name, be legal, after all, it had killed thousands in asia. I jumped on and was like "Aren't there any laws about that stuff". Well, it turned out that they were talking about water. Classic blunder.

DelicateSound
05-17-2002, 03:55 PM
LOL! The best blunders are the stupid ones. BTW: That "question" thread is cracking me up! :D

MonkeySlap Too
05-17-2002, 04:25 PM
From what I have seen San Soo practice varies pretty widely.

Those that learned before Jimmy Woo got his ass sued off and those after. The after crowd had a lot left out from what I've been told. (READ: NO FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE, SO I AM JUST PASSING ON WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SAN SOO PLAYERS HERE.)

It is a 'villiage' style of Choy Lay Fut. Frankly a lot of the players look really sloppy to me. But I've met a few that were good martial artists.

Strengths - IF they get in on you, the system has some gnarly Shuai techniques. Lots of emphasis on Kou.

The old timer types looked to be be durable and in good shape.

Weaknesses - They seem to deal mostly with surprise attacks. I haven't seen a lot of savvy in regards to getting into the fight.

Techniques seem to count on the opponent reacting the way you expect them too - i.e. "I hit him in the stomach, he bends over, I hit him in the head."

That's my two cents. My Kung Fu brother who's fixing up my Xing Yi started out in San Soo, and when he plays it, it does not look as silly to me as some of the videos I've seen by san soo masters. I've seen footage of J. Woo, and he looked pretty fearsome, so I'd wager that there is more than meets the eye here.

Brad
05-17-2002, 06:44 PM
All I know of San Soo is that some old San Soo guy with little experience got whooped by a pro NHB fighter in a challenge match and the vid. was posted on the internet(which Ralek used as undeniable proof toi the uselessness of Kungfu). Oh and there was some guy on here who kept posting that the San Soo and White Tiger styles were fake. I wonder what ever happened to that guy? He just kind of dissapered.

MIKSANSOO
05-23-2002, 12:44 PM
the old san soo debate. like any other art it depends on the teacher and student. do not be a fool and judge on limited experience and knowledge. you will hardly ever see a san soo guy bash other arts. :mad: and if they do they are stupid and lack in their own personal confidence. one thing to think about is that there is many high ranked san soo players that are also high in other arts like judo, bjj, muay thai etc. we're talking gene label, muchados etc type of instructors. but all these guys call san soo their main art. that has to hold some merit!

jon
05-24-2002, 05:38 AM
"Techniques seem to count on the opponent reacting the way you expect them too - i.e. "I hit him in the stomach, he bends over, I hit him in the head." "

* I always hate that line of thinking being stressed in a ma system. I can compleately understand the use of it in combat and how it can be applicable but i cant understand the point of it being a main focuss.
It seems to me that such things should for a start be fairly commen sence. It also seems to me that stressing such things will lead to dismay if the techniques dont go as planed.
The worst offenders are systems which have great long combinations which practioners swear blind if your hit with any of them you WILL recive the follow ups.

diego
05-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Jon/Monkeyslap2
How many differant ways are thier to look at techniques, from the myriad of styles?.

wingchun always say some **** about they train all angles so any attack can be met by blahblah,etc

Can Someone Break These Down ABC