PDA

View Full Version : How much would u pay?

friday
05-18-2002, 03:58 AM
hi just wondering how much ppl would be willing to pay for private one on one lessons.

per hour rate for a style that has a good reputation and should give you very good kung fu ability.

i'm not talking about white crane so this thread is not about trying to suss out what the market is out there for this style. i am actually interested in learning a different style in conjunction with my current studies.

thanks

friday
05-18-2002, 04:14 AM
ehh hehe also let me know wat currency u are talking about

ive been quoted a figure and even though i think i will learn alot i still think its a bit too expensive

jon
05-18-2002, 04:53 AM
Hi Friday

I will say that for me i think around the 20 doller an hour mark is pretty reasonable. Even up to fourty but fifty to me is starting to push the issue.
My old Hung instructor used to charge 30 for an hour but he would REALLY make sure you got your moneys worth. Even to the point of staying overtime with you. My current sifu charges 20 for a private and the time is again longer than an hour.
Ive heard of sifus in Australia charging fifty but to me this is a BIT to expensive.
The way i see it is this, there a professional and offering me services at an hourly rate. I would not myself want to do an hours work for much less than 20 dollers ESPECIALY if it was just ONE hour. I think its quite reasonable considering your asking them to take time out especialy for you to charge a bit.
On the other hand i want to be getting my moneys worth if im paying a LOT. Make darn sure this is not simply them milking money by teaching things in private that are just as easily taught (and MUCH cheaper) in a group class.

Can i ask how much your weighing this up against?

Private lessons are great and ive always stuck with sifus who were big on personal attension. Then again i also love seeing all my class mates and having different people to test different things with.

As a quick addender...
Its worth remembering that 'some' sifus are simply expensive becouse there in demand. There is no point winging if an instructor wont take 30 an hour if people are lined up around the block willing to pay 100.

You spent a period studying in Hong Kong if im not mistaken? How did sifus there charge in comparison with over here?

friday
05-18-2002, 05:04 AM
hi jon

ummm lets say that the guy is asking for greater than $50 a lesson. thats why i think its too much. i mean the guy is treaching some pretty cool stuff ive heard but i'm not sure i can afford it. anyway
i'll be going for a free trial lesson in the next few months so hopefully that will give me a bit more information to judge the asking price.

qeySuS
05-18-2002, 05:30 AM
I know most BJJ black belts take around 100$ for privates, 50$ is considdered a bargain. Not sure about other arts. Privates from REALLY famous guys like Rickson or something would propably be like 250-300$, i dont KNOW that though, just guessing.

DelicateSound
05-18-2002, 05:40 AM
That is because BJJ is run like a business, relying on marketing to draw people in.

My old Judo Sensei would teach for free! :D

Mr Punch
05-18-2002, 06:53 AM
DS, was that the guy who used to sleep under the pile of newspapers up in Stoke?!:D How the f did he eat?

The most I paid for a quite fine private two+ hour sessions was 10 quid (UK) an hour. I think I was very lucky though. I've since paid 20 quid an hour for a mediocre teacher. As usual, a lot depends on your teacher though. The 20 quid one turned out to be a lot better as a private teacher than he was in class.

Mr Punch
05-18-2002, 06:54 AM
DS: cool sign off message!!:D

GLW
05-18-2002, 07:08 AM
If you are talking private lessons, they START at $40 and go up. $40 is for someone who is not too good.

My teacher charges $70 for private lessons and the hour goes long...

Group classes are only $70 per month...and that boils down to around $5 per hour for group.

What would it be worth to you to go to your school, turn on the AC, take the travel time there and back, and then teach....

Royal Dragon
05-18-2002, 07:58 AM
If it was me, I'd charge however much my take is for an average group lesson when all the students fees are added up.

Lets see, $5 perstudent per class @ 18 students a class = $90

Based on the above math, I would Charge $90 for a priviate lesson, gaurenteed to be of at least the same time length as a group class.

Also, I would not charge by the hour, but the lesson. That way a student might get twice his normal class time in during a $90 priviate, or however much longer than a regular class I felt like teaching.

David Jamieson
05-18-2002, 08:26 AM
hmmmmmn.

I would pay what I could afford. If that wasn't enough, then I guess I would miss out.

Many teachers with an ounce of scruples would not fix a cost as it is for the most part considered a duty to share the knowledge and to share it responsibly with those who are eager to learn and willing to do the hard work to achieve the goals and objectives of the lessons being offered.

just another opinion from just another guy.

peace

nospam
05-18-2002, 08:48 AM
..and as I am just another guy I second just that other opinion.

nospam.
:cool:

Budokan
05-18-2002, 08:50 AM
$20 an hour for one on one instruction in MA? LOL! H*ll, you can't even get a good high school tutor for that amount.

S.Teebas
05-18-2002, 09:10 AM
Also depends on how big the school is. If its a big school then the teacher is probably not able to spend time with all the students as it is. SO he'd probably charge like a wonded bull.

Also, if the syle is rare, and there's only 1 in the country...or he's the linage holder, then id say you either pay or dont learn. I know some schools in Sydney that charge over $100 for private lessons...some are ONLY by private.

Mr Punch
05-18-2002, 09:19 AM
seems we have a geographical variation here. i think in the uk prices are probably lower. here higher. and the states, by the looks, even higher.

i wouldn't have dreamt of paying more than about 40 quid an hour in the uk, and that would have had to have been pretty special, but you US types are talking bigger money... not that this dollar thing means much to me!:D isn't that funny stuff used for buying little plastic hotels...?:p

Former castleva
05-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Private lessons,nothing wrong about that.
Just thought that doing basic training as one of the students with common instructor (and why not,more) would be important that youŽd learn to act with different people with different physical and mental states.
But you were not going to throw that away,I think.
If you want to practise bjj with a private sifu,donŽt pick Helios Gracie if youŽre low on cash.
Having heard heŽll charge 30.000 dollars for a lesson.
So bjj sucks :rolleyes:

denali
05-18-2002, 10:16 AM
Do some of you really believe that the price reflects a teacher's ability? I think that's one problem with North American culture. Does expensive always mean quality?

David Jamieson
05-18-2002, 11:36 AM
nope.

My Si Fu is very reasonable in what he charges for top rate instruction.

But I see where you are going with that. I think that has more to do with societal values.

peace

Braden
05-18-2002, 04:01 PM
"$40 is for someone who is not too good."

I can think of several very good instructors who will run privates for $20/hr or slightly more. Price may be proportional to fame, but neither is reliably proportional to quality.

friday
05-18-2002, 04:53 PM
hey everyone,

honestly price doesn't necessarily reflect that the person is good or not. the only private thing i have to compare this instructor's rate with is my training in Hong Kong which was also one on one most of the time. but the charge rate there was almost nothing. my sifu there basically told me he understood i didn't have much money and taught me willingly for free...and the stuff he taught me wasn't ok or watever...it was some of the best i'd seen.

dont' get me wrong i think MA instructors should be paid their due especially if they teach very well and u learn very fast. but i guess if i can't afford it i can't. i think i might ask for a fortnightly session instead of wkly becos no matter how good it is i can't affrod to pay that much every wk for one hour.

thanks everyone