PDA

View Full Version : Dit Dat Jow help

Ras-Tanu
05-18-2002, 02:47 PM
I got a hold of a bottle today and just have some questions about its use:

1) How much is supposed to be applied?

2) Do I apply it before or after working on a ironpalm bag?

3) Lastly, after applying it, is it ok to wash my hands after a while or do I wait till it's all absorbed??

Thanks in advance,

RT

yuanfen
05-18-2002, 03:57 PM
There are jows and there are jows. I dont know what kind of jow you have. Big assumption- that you have good jow. (regular, bone, ling gung jow....))If so you dont need much. A quarter of a small teaspoonful of good jow is more than enough for rubbing(important) into both fists and bridges- once before doing
bag work and once afterwards. leave alone for an hour and then you can wash off if you want to- or if you are going to eat with your hands. Dont do HARD bag work. Tap tap...so you can still play guitar, piano etc

Ras-Tanu
05-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the answers yuanfen. Hmmmnn, I really don't have a clue how good the quality of my jow is because I've never bought the stuff before. The shop had two kinds, one was for treating old wounds, and this one, which is alcohol based, has a picture of some old dude with a white beard on the orange coloured box, its a black liquid, kinda smells funky, no english on the box except some strange-sounding ingredients and made in hong kong...don't know how else to describe it. The shop also had jow pills, but I thought I'd stick to external stuff.

Anyways, one last question, how long should I tap on the bag?

Thanks again.:)

gnugear
05-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Can you apply it to a bruise in the crotch area?

... serious question.

yuanfen
05-19-2002, 07:12 PM
gnugear: WHAT? How did that happen? Sorry i dont practice medicine without a license.

ras tanu- from your description you may have one of the "five photos" jows. Its really by the grandson of the whitebearded man in the pic. Its not the strongest of jows but will do for basic work.
On tapping. Are you talking abouta wallbag for punches or an iron palm bag? I am not sure who your sifu is. Best to ask him for advice. i dont want to confuse you. I just do "maintenance" work
on bags these days. My general advice is - dont do HARD iron palm bag work--- you may pay the price of arthritis in later years.

Spectre
05-20-2002, 04:58 AM
Yuanfen,

In your opinion, what jow is of the highest quality and where can it be found? (Online?)

You help would be much appreciated.

Kevin

yuanfen
05-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Spectre- Regarding on line for jow... Wing Lam enterprises and Brendan Lai both handle jow. Wing Lam teaches hung gar iron palm work and therefore knows the importnace of jow for bag work..
Both jows are steps up from the new Five Photos--- though that will do.
I have used my sifu's jow and have made jow with herbs obtained from my sifu. But one of my very favorite jows is custom made bya LA herbalist(dont have his address) for a very good
non wc kung fu friend of mine who knows his jows very well not only
by composition but by touch and smell and sight. Knows the proportions and the functions. Takes time to learn these TCM thingswell.He is not into commerce. I dont sell it either.Of course folks are making up their own jows and there are jow formulae on line including an american jow(not my cup of jow, thank you).
You have to watch out for some old formulae that had mercury in it.
But jows are important- even in bare knuckle fighting days they had
solutions of brine and vinegar etc(ugh) for toughening the hands for contact. Modern boxers have relatively fragile hands- which give many of them trouble---Ali, Leonard etc.

azwingchun
05-20-2002, 07:53 PM
I have been making my own jow for awhile now, and not to take anything away from the commercial stuff, but I find it usually a little watered down or weak. As I said I make my own and actually get it from my teacher who is a teacher and practitioner or TCM. He currently has several forumlas if making it is something you are interested in. E-mail me if you are interested.;)

Phil Redmond
05-21-2002, 05:46 AM
Make sure that you rub the Jow away from the Heart.
Especially with bad bruises/hematoma. Good Jow has an
anti-coagulant, (plus other good things), which dissipates blood clots. Rubbing towards the Heart/Trunk can transport a clot to the Heart or Lungs.
Phil

Ras-Tanu
05-22-2002, 11:17 AM
Thanks Phil Redmond. From the sounds of it, my jow is not the high-powered nitroglycerin stuff, but I'll keep your advice of rubbing away from the heart in mind. Also, good job on your website.