PDA

View Full Version : FAO: Budokan

DelicateSound
05-19-2002, 06:40 AM
In your profile it says you like Bonsai? Is this true?

[Believe me this IS relevant. And not in a stupid way.]

:)

DelicateSound
05-19-2002, 11:32 AM
TTT.

This really is important Budokan!

:)

Martial Joe
05-19-2002, 11:33 AM
Ofcourse you dummy!:D

Yo guy, its been awhile...

DelicateSound
05-19-2002, 11:47 AM
Yep it has Joe - where you been mate?

Still at Wing Chun? Last I heard you were wavering.....

Martial Joe
05-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Yeah, its slowly coming back...

Hopefully I will eventually be training my ass off...

DelicateSound
05-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Yep - I'm back at Judo now. 4 times a week after my exams :)

I might be taking up Wing CHun too - when I go to Uni!

Any tips? :)

Martial Joe
05-19-2002, 12:09 PM
You should just move in with me...There are world judo champs here, a kickboxing champ(still has his belt) my wing chun teacher, and alot of wrestling...now that ive said that, this town is good for training...

Budokan
05-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Sorry, I've been offline; my father-in-law was visiting. Yes, I like bonsai, and used to grow them (or tried to) but was never very successful at it.

rogue
05-19-2002, 08:31 PM
Small uhhhm, tree complex?:eek:

Xebsball
05-19-2002, 08:50 PM
LOL

DelicateSound
05-20-2002, 01:16 PM
D a m n !

I hoped you were some Bonsai-growing master.

I have only the one, but he ain't doing too well. I have read loads of books that say he's OK in moderate sunlight, ut he ain't keepin' perky.

What would you say? Do they generally like it? He's been moved recently too, so I'm thinking maybe he's homesick. I moved my Simpson's calendar [his old mate] back next to him but still no good.

Is this a species specific thing you think?

Budokan
05-20-2002, 04:05 PM
I've noticed my bonsai were always very fragile as far as their life-expectancy went. I think it's not because of their size but rather because their root system has been cut back so much--they're effectively on life-support all the time.

I've never had very good luck, either, but I do know one mistake is that many people don't water their bonsai enough. Because they're small and in small shallow pots the water tends to evaporate quicker. But, then, you run into the problem of over-watering your plants because you're afraid they'll dry out and then you end up drowning them. This is the problem I had.

It's a very thin line to keep one alive; I wish I was better at it, too! :D

wushu chik
05-20-2002, 05:13 PM
OK guys, what is it you want to know? I have raised quite a few, along with Orchids, and if i can keep those two alive...i can keep ANYTHING alive!! So, what's up?

~Wen~

wufupaul
05-20-2002, 08:50 PM
I tried to grow some of them little fargin bastiches from seeds, and they all died..every single one of them. So I went out and bought a ten year old one, it died a few weeks later! So now I just have bamboo..all it needs is water, no sun, that thing will live forever! :)

Shadow Dragon
05-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Hi.

I been growing Bonsai now for around 15 yrs.
Did a Course on it where they taught us all the goodies.
Most of my Bonsai are not grown from seeds, but are shaped and styled from young Trees which I buy.

Most common probs why they die are:
1.) Over watering
2.) Over fertilising or too little
3.) Wrong soil mix
4.) Too small Pots
5.) Wrong placement in the Sun, Breeze, etc for that Tree.
6.) Wrong wiring done
7.) Letting them bear fruit incorrectly
(Never managed that one myself)
8.) Excessive pruning,etc
9.) Snapped branches, etc

Once you got your basics right, they don't need that much care and attention.
Hope this helps.

Mr Punch
05-23-2002, 08:19 AM
Yup. It's species specific. Some trees seem to like being abused! It's no coincidence that the best growing bonsai are those which thrive half-way up mountains or in swamps where harsh rocky soils or anaerobic conditions restrict their roots' (and therefore everything else's) growth.

Shadow: were those in order? I reckon it's overwatering that's the real killer with most overenthusiastic newbies! What's with:

7.) Letting them bear fruit incorrectly
(Never managed that one myself)
?

Don't understand. Otherwise sound advice...

DS: What kind have you got?

DelicateSound
05-24-2002, 03:48 PM
It is a Serissa. Hardy bugger he is [survived a 3 week drought - I went on holiday and forgot him! :eek: ]

I used to put him in the window [fresher air and slightly colder] but I think he needs it shadier.

He's taken a real turn for the worse lately, dying leaves, some with black ends.:(

Very worrying. I haven't fed him in a while though......

DelicateSound
05-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Should I water him by immersion, or spraying BTW?

At the mo it's just a watering can, but apparantly the above are better.

DelicateSound
05-26-2002, 05:40 AM
TTT.

For the sake of my tree guys........ :(

Actually, re-potting seems to have helped some. As has extensive pruning of the bad stuff. And of the sprangly stuff also.

Mr Punch
05-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Sorry DS,

don't know serissa!

But... when did he 'survive' this drought? Maybe he didn't do so well after all...?:(

The black leaf tips are a bit of a disturbing sign generally.

Mr Punch
05-26-2002, 08:19 AM
Try this:

SOS: Save Our Serissa! (http://www.bonsaisite.com/serissa.html)

DelicateSound
05-26-2002, 09:20 AM
After re-potting it's had LOADS of regrowth. I mean loads. Black tips have disappered mostly, just a few left.

Cheers for the link! It's d a m n good. Mine doesn't "smell" whilst repotting though........ strange. Maybe it's not been healthy enough to pong? :D

Anyway, I'll keep its progress updated on here!:)

Mr Punch
06-01-2002, 02:55 AM
So DS, how's he doing?

Come to that, how are you doing?!

DelicateSound
06-02-2002, 11:40 AM
I'm doing OK. How about you.

Come to think of it, how did you get to live in Japan BTW?

Is it as nice as people say? Do they really love the English?

And is it really £12 for a pint of beer? :D

Tree's doing OK. But it's getting hot over here, and he took a turn for the worse when England drew to Sweden...... poor chap.

Mr Punch
06-14-2002, 05:19 AM
I came here on a plane, for the budo.

It is v nice. Summer is hell. You and your tree don't know hot... or humid... The bugs are hell.

People do love the English... but they think we all carry umbrellas all the time and they are convinced that London is in the grips of the deadly industrial revolution's fog. We'll see what they think after the World Cup!

You can pay 12 quid for a pint. If you're daft. Otherwise they are about Y800 (4 quid) or if you're lucky, the same as UK.

Mr Punch
06-14-2002, 05:21 AM
Oh, and any of them who like football love Man U and various other UK teams, and all the chicks think Beckham is the best thing since creamed pudding. And Owen. The twat.

DelicateSound
06-15-2002, 10:13 AM
So you're on holiday for the Budo :D

Lucky for some.

Hot? Who cares?! It can't be worse than over here............ :(

Owen - The boy did good today...