PDA

View Full Version : How is everyones training coming along?

Martial Joe
05-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Well...

Martial Joe
05-19-2002, 12:14 PM
You dont say!

IronFist
05-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Wow dude, give yourself 18 minutes between posts :) I don't think anyone had time to reply :D

My training is going pretty good, I guess. One week from today I get to start training MA with my friend so I expect my progress to increase exponentially from that point on. Too bad I've been slacking off from lifting since I've been home from college. Well, not really. I decided I was going to take 2 weeks off so I've got one week left.

Meanwhile I'm quickly filling up my "Wing Chun notebook" with lots of cool info that I get from different places (here included).

IronFist

popsider
05-19-2002, 03:51 PM
Having kids kills your training. The line "Just popping out to kung fu - you'll be OK putting the three of them to bed ?" doesn't go down too well if used more than a couple of times a week.

yuanfen
05-19-2002, 04:11 PM
First things first<g>

yuanfen
05-19-2002, 04:15 PM
my kids, dogs, family all survived my obsession. My obsession did well and continues...the others did well too. Matter of style and allowing space and quality time for everyone.

gnugear
05-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
my kids, dogs, family all survived my obsession. My obsession did well and continues...the others did well too. Matter of style and allowing space and quality time for everyone.

Same here. I usually get in about an hour a day (throughout the day) when the kids, wife, and dog are asleep or gone.

CanadianBadAss
05-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Rugby season just ended, so I should be making it to practice a couple more times a week now.

What about u joe?

txwingchun
05-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Good I'm almost coming up on my first year of training. I'm not making a total fool of myself anymore. I have had to put off training for anything yet not even my girlfriend, of coirse it helps that she's real invovled in WC also.

yuanfen
05-19-2002, 09:48 PM
even my girlfriend, of coirse it helps that she's real invovled in WC also.
----------------------------------
It does? Good luck!

Mr Punch
05-21-2002, 09:41 PM
Mine is not helped by having a new work schedule clashing directly with training times in the one schools in my area!

Having said that, I have plenty of time at other times to work on solo drills (lots and lots and lots of slt, ck air dummy, and san sik from them, plus punching practice and stepping practice). Consequently, I'm loosening up nicely, and building strength and power. Be nice to get back to try myself out in chi sau, though!

For the same reasons, I haven't been able to do kendo recently either, so I've been doing lots (etc) of suburi, kata and striking practice which fits in very nicely with wingchun's elbow energy, though the footwork is completely different.

Next month I'll be starting aikido again too after a wee break. Can't wait.

And (honestly ;) ) because of the convenience of the dojo and training times, I hope to be starting, ahem, BJJ soon :D

PHILBERT
05-21-2002, 10:48 PM
Ask at the end of the summer, we are spending every class doing drills for the different blocks/counter attacks because we were having too many brain ****s on what to do.

red5angel
05-22-2002, 06:35 AM
Ironfist, how is your training coming along?! What sort of training schedule do you have for yourself?

wongfeilung809
05-22-2002, 09:35 AM
training is doin well,
i like to practice the stance all the time
,like at work, i got rid of one job so now i can train a lot more in the morning and with my other kung fu brothers, i can start heading back to class and see my sifu

05-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Inevitably most of us will go through periods of time when we can't train as often as we would like - or maybe with the instructor we would like. If you don't give up then one day you will make it to a decent standard.

I used to train in a school with the most uncoordinated, unfit, overweight, inflexible guy I ever met - I mean he was strong but if you stood in front of him he had trouble getting his arms far enough in to hit you :)

Circumstances meant I stopped training for several years - on my return this guy was not only better than me - as a senior student he was teaching me. Looking back now the circumstances that stopped me training could have been overcome quite easily but as a kid I thought I could always do it tomorrow.

Martial Joe
05-23-2002, 11:45 AM
but as a kid I thought I could always do it tomorrow. That makes me want to train more...

It seems all of you are training...I think I should join the party...(that answers badass's question)