PDA

View Full Version : Arm Conditioning

Robs
05-19-2002, 03:48 PM
I have recently started training in Hung Ga and am really enjoying it!!!!

However when blocking my arms take a pounding and very quickly the pain gets real bad.

Is there any way to speed up the conditioning of my forearms or does it just come with time?

Any comments would be brilliant.
:D :D

yu shan
05-19-2002, 07:31 PM
You may speed up the conditioning process by simply conditioning more! We condition every night we pracitce. Expect the pain to be prevalent at least for twelve months if not more. Massage the bruising out and apply dit da. When applying your jow, use ginger root to massage into the area. Do not use your hands or fingers. Good training!

IronFist
05-19-2002, 08:55 PM
Uh, yeah dude, if you're bruising you're trying to progress too quickly. I mean, under ideal conditions you would progress slowly enough that you rarely bruised (it does happen some times, but your whole forearms shouldn't be covered on a regular basis). Anyway, maybe your class doesn't want to slow down or whatever, I'm just saying that bruising generally does mean you're hitting harder than your body can withstand at the moment.

If your sifu is just like "oh, it's part of the training so suck it up and take it," I'd be weary of his other training methods as well.

Heh, either that or take 6 months off and work only on horse stance and forearm training so that when you go back you'll be ready to take it and it won't set back your other training. I dunno :)

I guess I would say get some dit da jow and apply that after each practice session, as well as every day that your arms are bruised even if you don't train that day. And massage the forearms for at least 5 minutes while walking around.

Most importantly, don't train over bruises. If you're bruised, lay off, or at least don't hit the part that is bruised.

I just don't buy the "it's part of training" line when it comes to explaining bashed up forearms. Slow, gradual progression is the key.

IronFist

Robs
05-20-2002, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the replys.

I didn't tell my Sifu that my Arms were sore because no one else seemed to be hurting and i didn't want to moan, but i think honesty is the best policy and i will not be afraid to let him know from now.

Thanks again for the advise.

Jamesbond_007
05-20-2002, 10:36 AM
Yu shan:
Why do you not want to massage the Jow with your fingers and only with ginger root? What bennifit does the ginger root provide?

IronFist
05-20-2002, 12:17 PM
Everyone that I know uses their hands for massaging jow. What's wrong with that?

IronFist

popsider
05-20-2002, 12:50 PM
A bit of bruising is to be expected

yu shan
05-24-2002, 07:29 PM
On a recent KF training trip to Taiwan, my KF uncles used ginger to massage the jow. There was a bit of a language barrier, so I think some details were missed. Was told it was as herb, blah blah fast talk, the fingers absorb too much of the jow, especially if dry. Believe me bro`s, try it! Using ginger to massage your jow really works. Massage deep. Try this and let me know. Peace

SevenStar
05-24-2002, 07:54 PM
you can bang your arms on your own also. I bang arm against arm and also do a moving arm boxing drill against a pole.

yu shan
05-27-2002, 06:05 PM
If my imagination serves me right, I can easilly see the solo arm conditioning. We also take the two-person moving arm/leg conditioning, and apply to poles. Some of the young bucks go to the trees, I`m older, maybe 20 years ago.

IronFist
05-27-2002, 07:17 PM
Wing Lam's iron arms training begins with hitting your own arms (start softly!). I think that's better than hitting an immovable object like a pole or tree.

IronFist

SevenStar
05-27-2002, 10:20 PM
hitting your own arms is excellent and can be done at anytime, regardless of whether or not you have a pole or a training partner. Also, you can more easily control the intensity of it.

yu shan
05-28-2002, 08:47 PM
I know this is an arm cond. thread, but do you also condition the shins of the leg?

SevenStar
06-02-2002, 01:37 PM
I do.

yu shan
06-02-2002, 03:31 PM
We do as well, have to be careful with newbies, they are freaked when watching older KF brothers conditioning.