PDA

View Full Version : The Secrecy of Meditation (Initiation)

Nexus
05-20-2002, 04:18 PM
I just finished reading a few articles from a website and I wanted to share one of them that I found interesting and related to some topics we have discussed here on this board. It is also aligned with some of the practices of secrecy that members here apply and may clear up some confusion to the consistent questioning of why meditators keep their personal experiences private and to themselves.

The Secret of Initiation

by Acarya Pranakrsnananda Avadhuta

At the time of initiation the student or disciple makes a solemn promise to do as much good as possible, to avoid harmful behavior and to maintain the confidentiality of the meditation process and mantra. Doing good and postponing bad actions is quite understandable, but keeping the secrecy of the process of meditation is difficult for some to understand.

It has become somehow important today that everything should be made public knowledge. If it is not, then it must be bad, selfish or harmful. Others consider secrecy a violation of their fundamental right enshrined in some unwritten constitution. Unfortunately everything has become valueless as a result.

The purpose of maintaining the secrecy of the initiation is not to keep the information hidden away from genuine spiritual aspirants, but to maintain its value. Each individual has got his/her personal relationship with the Supreme Being. That special relationship is established by having a clear understand-ing of where the disciple is now, what is his/her Ultimate Goal and in what acoustic form the meditator relates with that Infinite and Universal Being.

Each person has a very specific, exact acoustic sound which brings the meditator in close contact with the Goal. It is private, personal and valuable to the meditator in a way only Guru can evaluate. To place the devotional relationship of the disciple on a public platform for analysis, exposure and perhaps comparison by others who do not share his/her value for that relationship, sentimental and spiritual, is cold to the touch and tears the heart.

It would be similar to an intellectual debate on the words of endearment used by faithful husbands for their dearest wives. Who could say that "sweetheart" is more affectionate than "darling", for the secret of that love is only known to the lover. If meditation is viewed from a dry intellectual analysis, it would die for lack of blood and suffocate for want of air.

Those things which are kept secretly in the mind have a greater impact on the personality. That is why psychoanalysts try to expose the hidden phobias, neurosis and psychosis to show the patient the ordinariness of the feelings so that mental disease will not accumulate momentum in the mind. It is the secret pain in the mind which causes mental illness.

Psychic energy given to negative thoughts causes greater personality disorder, but psychic energy directed toward good and noble thoughts leads to wholesomeness and fearlessness. How much more beneficial if the mind holds on to the secret love of the Supreme within.

Therefore the meditator promises to maintain the secrecy of the specific, individual aspects of the meditation, although the general science of meditation is clearly explained in books and articles. Those who wish to learn the correct process should approach a properly qualified teacher (Acarya) authorized by the Guru. It is through proper, practical and persistent effort that success is achieved.

Source: http://www.anandamarga.org/initiation-secret.htm

- Nexus

guohuen
05-20-2002, 09:37 PM
Geez,that was good! Thanks.

shaolinboxer
05-21-2002, 06:57 AM
Cult.

Repulsive Monkey
05-21-2002, 09:12 AM
I'll stand in between here, as yes guidance is very much needed to attain and then maintain the correct practice, but one must also realise that throughout time there have self realised masters too. That text is only one way it is not the singularly definitive way.
I re-iterate correct teaching and correct guidance will make the journey shorter and more efficient and by-pass some hazards, however it is not the only way to enlightenment.

harry_the_monk
05-22-2002, 12:53 AM
I agree with RM:)

I had no guru for a while but managed to find great revelations on my path. I made many great leaps towards my spiritual goals through my own efforts.
Now I have a guru I recieve more guiding and can get steered away from going so far off centre. This has helped me greatly, although the sangha is also of great benfit.;)

mantis108
05-22-2002, 01:03 PM
"It would be similar to an intellectual debate on the words of endearment used by faithful husbands for their dearest wives. Who could say that "sweetheart" is more affectionate than "darling", for the secret of that love is only known to the lover. If meditation is viewed from a dry intellectual analysis, it would die for lack of blood and suffocate for want of air. "

How eloquant and poetic. That brought into question whether meditation is really a science rather than an art. Or is it really both that points to something more and much deeper? If indeed meditation is the ultimate personal experience, why then the need for a Guru to gauge the progress?

Great read. Thanks

Mantis108

Nexus
05-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Guru's gauge the process more then the progress. However, they also know where you are heading towards better then you do, which makes having one guide you in the proper direction so critical.

An anaology that just came to mind is that your guru is the lookout on a giant ship. They stand high above, and see your destination in the distance. You are the captain of the ship, and you make all the final decissions for where the ship goes. The case is however that your lookout often see's obstacles arising before you, and can warn you to steer course properly. As you work on your ship with your lookout over long periods of time, you begin to learn to see things that your lookout pointed out for your in the past all on your own. Eventually you learn to read the waters and the stars, smell the wind and sense the weather that will come even if the skies are clear and blue. You will learn to trust your instincts and move effortlessly with the water. With the help of your lookout you will have achieved true stillness.

(The reason I did not end that analogy with "you will reach your final destination" is that can be misleading. One may feel that there is actually no place in life that we are going, as meditation is an internal process. In this sense are not escaping to an island, but inscaping to the very centre of our being).

- Nexus

harry_the_monk
05-24-2002, 08:37 AM
Nexus, great analagy.

Sadly however I do not have anywhere near the insight to manage to describe my own feelings fully on this subject.

I am trying, I recognise that there is no final destination as such as all is continual, even as you 'reach the top of the mountain' that is not the end, for if you are there there must still be progression in one way or another(even if its back down:D ). Sometimes what I mean I don't express ( as I will probably see on reflection of this post later:) ).

Peace

Tainan Mantis
05-28-2002, 11:06 PM
The writer of the article at top is a dada(brother) of the Yoga I practice called Ananda Marga.
Anyone else in Ananda Marga?

dfedorko@mindspring.com
06-20-2002, 04:05 AM
I read the suggested reading you shared with everyone. I understand your point and the reasons why meditation should have a certain amount of secrecy. My feeling is that if a person shows a true spirit and wants to learn , why not? Peace.

Nexus
06-20-2002, 09:22 AM
If a person shows a true spirit then they don't need meditation in the first place. =)

David Jamieson
06-20-2002, 10:20 AM
For me, meditation is a process.

It is a tool to realization of things otherwise unknown and as well to a keener awareness of the self and the world around you.

Proper guidance can be driven from within when one has correct intent. A guru, yogi or otherwise cannot "direct" you to your own self realization. They can show you a process and explain how to use the process. However, not all meditative process is geared towards all peoples understanding and ability to self actualize. Therefore one form of process and it's teacher may very well be of no use to you.

meditation, by it's very nature is self reflective and as soon as the images of dieties and masters leaves your visions that you create, well then you are getting somewhere with it imho.

In the beginning, all "masters" are self taught. In the end, all masters self actualize.

peace

dfedorko@mindspring.com
06-24-2002, 03:44 AM
When I used the word spirit I meant that the person was a trudting soul who had the right attitude and mind set to learn meditation.

Nexus
06-24-2002, 09:24 AM
dfed,

I recognized that to be the case when I made the post. I was only using your post to build ontop of and further enhance the theme of the thread. It was not designed to take away from what you had said as you indeed are treading on some significant insights of your own.