View Full Version : Backyard Mixed martial Arts

Iron Arahat
05-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Check out Ralek's cousins at:

http://www.jasonsbackyardmixedmartialarts.com

What happens when ou watch too much ufc and wwf

Ryu
05-20-2002, 10:08 PM
From the clips it looks like he has very poor position skills on the ground, no real mount skills (of course his opponents have no idea how to escape the mount anyway...), and the knife fighting was very unrealistic in my opinion. Plus he dresses like a mix of an aikidoka and a ninja?? :confused:

Me thinks some practice at a real MMA school might do him some good.

There's ways of telling who is good at MMA and who is not. If the person doesn't have a good structure in boxing, and doesn't have solid positions on the ground, chances are he's not that skilled.

Ryu

Merryprankster
05-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Ryu,

Thanks for saying what I debated saying :)

Now, on the other hand, even though they clearly suck, they are beating on each other--a step in the right direction :)

Ryu
05-20-2002, 10:21 PM
True.

Ryu
05-20-2002, 10:48 PM
Going through all the clips (guy has a lot) there's a guy called "Ninja" (LOL! :D ) who is somewhat decent.... had an okay Ogoshi anyway. :)

Ryu

Merryprankster
05-20-2002, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I saw that too!

Man Ryu, I am JONESIN to learn Judo---I just don't have enough hours in the day!!!

Ryu
05-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Well damm man, you're a pro fighter in every sense of the word. A purple in BJJ, now training hard in boxing, a good wrestling background. Anymore MA training, and they'll have to hire Spiderman to take you down.... :D

Judo's just darn fun. :) I hope you find a way to get in some hardcore training with it.

Ryu

Merryprankster
05-20-2002, 10:59 PM
If you had seen me this weekend, you would have wondered about that purple belt, I tell you what--you can read about the specifics on the ATTN: Merry P thread. :)

Also, if you had seen me eat two hard rights at boxing--I don't recommend a steady diet of power punches, just for the record. :D

One of these days, I will get to do Judo, and lots of it... but for now--must-focus-newaza...

qeySuS
05-21-2002, 08:41 AM
i fear their "Ruptured sack" technique :D

DelicateSound
05-25-2002, 01:02 PM
That's it, I'm training in nuclear combat. It's the only thing that can defeat Judo. :)

lungshihpo
06-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Ryu,

Thanks for saying what I debated saying :)

Now, on the other hand, even though they clearly suck, they are beating on each other--a step in the right direction :)

this jason from this site,was just wondering what was so terrible for us to "clearly suck",yes, more here that does, than doesn't,but everyone has to start somewhere,yeah and were not trying to kill each other ,if you seen improper things,well your going to, in the heat of a match not everything goes how you want it,which i'm sure you know with as much training as you have, I practiced a total of about 13 yrs,And there is still so much to learn,but to say we clearly suck,thats not right Iguess you started out good!but do wanna thank you for checking out the site,will be updating soon,all the clips on there now are mainly from june to november last year,we have started a new year,And ninja is short for nickname ninjutsu

Merryprankster
06-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Nope bud, I started out sucking!

Keep training!

Shooter
06-04-2002, 04:21 PM
lungshihpo, your profile notwithstanding, I think what you're doing is great. We were discussing your site at training last week and we all liked the direction you're taking in your research. It's very similar to what we do in terms of ferreting out common points of failure in dealing with rage-attacks and street-fighting under certain situations.

Your methods of organizing things appear to be a little shaky. Once you incorporate some 3-dimensional methods of organization, you'll be approaching a developmental process very similar to what's been done for centuries. Your study group is small, and is the main thing limiting the evolution of what you're doing.

The only advice I'd offer is to try doing things outside of your comfort-zone. Avoid getting stuck doing the same things just because they work against your training partners. Play some Jazz, man...get goofy. :)

Break down the formats into cooperative and non-cooperative specifics and use combinations like just grappling vs a guy who can do everything you already allow. Mix it up in as many different combinations as you can think of. Work through levels of contact and intensity. Do soft, slow hitting and grappling as separate exercises and as combined formats. Focus on developing your balance and relaxation in these formats.

The thing that really impressed me is that you guys have been doing this for a couple of years, and that's the key. As my sifu used to say, "Maintain intesnity"

Keep it up...

Merryprankster
06-04-2002, 05:00 PM
What shooter said.

I apologize by the way. I really shouldn't say things like that. I get myself in trouble.... we're all moving in the same direction.

If you stick around here you can pick up some good stuff!

lungshihpo
06-05-2002, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shooter
[B]lungshihpo, your profile notwithstanding, I think what you're doing is great. We were discussing your site at training last week and we all liked the direction you're taking in your research. It's very similar to what we do in terms of ferreting out common points of failure in dealing with rage-attacks and street-fighting under certain situations.

this is lung,thank you for your opinion,

Break down the formats into cooperative and non-cooperative specifics and use combinations like just grappling vs a guy who can do everything you already allow. Mix it up in as many different combinations as you can think of. Work through levels of contact and intensity. Do soft, slow hitting and grappling as separate exercises and as combined formats. Focus on developing your balance and relaxation in these formats.

I agree 100%,we do to a certain extent,but I really like your idea of someone only allowed to grapple when the other can do anything,thanks,most of the time each fight is decided by the 2 fighting,for instance:I love to kick,but most people dont so a lot of my fights are fought without kicking,not all because they need to be able to defend them,you usually can not throw to many kicks with an agressive street fighter anyway,It seems to be easier to get them(street fighters) over to show up and spar than the ones who are trained,but I think fighting that kind of people is great training because you never know what your going to get. I will work on being more diverse,Thanks again.lungshihpo

Ryu
06-11-2002, 06:23 PM
I apologize too :cool: I guess it was kinda snobby of me to say that. For what it's worth I saved a lot of your stuff to my PC :D

You do have to start somewhere, and the way things go on this forum we kinda get a little rowdy even when we don't intend to. I'm curious what arts you've studied. In one of the clips, Ninjutsu seems to switch into a bujinkan-styled kamae. Is he trained in the Booj?

From the videos it looked as if the ground positions of a lot of the guys needed work, but like we said up above you guys are in the right direction. :) No hard feelings. Sometimes we forget others have feelings too. :D

Take care,
Ryu

scotty1
06-12-2002, 06:48 AM
How come my Windows Media player box is black while the vids are playing?

apoweyn
06-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Same problem here Scotty.

lungshihpo
06-20-2002, 02:47 PM
right click on the clip,save as a target,then add to a playlist,that should do it for you,some of the clips are short,and the rest is black screen,e-mail me with the ones that are like that,and i will fix them.thanks

Jason

dnc101
06-28-2002, 10:40 AM
You grapplers are *#%^! :eek: :D

Actually, I wrestled one year in high school. But I gave it up to concentrate on distance running, which I was far better at. And it proved to be a better defensive strategy for me than grappling!:cool:

As for lungs site, I used to train like that. Any one was welcome to come down to the corrals and just about anything went. The only rules were to respect each other (which included everyone going home with all his parts still functioning); and if you did something that worked, when your opponent got up and spit out the green stuff you had to show him what you did. I called it 'Cow Crap Karate', and that pretty well described it. But I got aquainted with a lot of styles- it's surprising how many people in even a rural area are or were in some kind of martial art. Also there are police, prison guards, and some security people have training. My dad used to teach Judo based hand to hand/ unarmed self defense to the Air Police (more d@^# green stuff). So we had a pretty eclectic blend of styles, and I learned to love comparing them. I also learned not to disrespect any of them since I was getting tired of eating dung. I concentrate on Kenpo now, but still work out with other styles. And I still love to play arround with different styles, compare them with my own and maybe get a little different perspective on things. It drives the pureists nuts, but I just consider that to be psycological warfare.

I guess my advice to lung, and anyone alse for that matter, would be to keep doing what you are doing. But concentrate hard on your particular style. And there is no substitute for structured training by a knowlegable instructor who loves to teach his art. You can learn a lot in your back yard, but some of it will have to be unlearned later because mistakes are inevetable there. And the longer you train it wrong, the harder it will be to learn it right.

Peace! (Through superior training, tactics, and attitude)

Oh, and no Judo! :rolleyes:

lungshihpo
07-01-2002, 05:50 PM
We now have some updated mpeg clips on the site,you should check them out! thanks

Ryu
07-02-2002, 02:04 PM
DNC,
You know that I'm a judoka right? The "no judo! NO! NO!" quote is from Masahiko Kimura's biography and "My Judo" translation page. He was working with a boxer to better his hand techniques, and after a while he got frustrated because the boxer kept landing jabs, etc. So Kimura closed the distance and picked the boxer up in a throw where the Boxer's "Last words" before he hit the ground was "NO Judo! No NO!" LOL :cool:

It's definitely not a slam at judo at all. I love judo and have trained it for a long time, hold rank in the art, and will continue it in Japan. Newaza makes up a big part of my training.

;)

Ryu

chingei
07-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Ryu
I love judo and have trained it for a long time, hold rank in the art, and will continue it in Japan.

when?

dnc101
07-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Interesting- I wondered where that came from.

I figured you were a judoka. That was a light hearted jab at you and a little self effacing humor rolled into one statement. I was serious when I said I've never been good at grappling, but I do respect it. We worked a little bit on counters the other night, but I doubt if it would do me much good in a fight. Any way, good luck with your training, and enjoy Japan.

Ryu
07-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Thanks, you too. :)

Chingei,
Hopefully in the next 2-3 years. I have about a year or so left in University, and will be (knock on wood ;) ) coming out with a BA in philo, and certificates in ESL. I'd like a Masters, but I do want to to teach in Japan.....at least I hope I do. The choice is a pretty large one.

Ryu

chingei
07-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Ryu
Thanks, you too. :)

Chingei,
Hopefully in the next 2-3 years. I have about a year or so left in University, and will be (knock on wood ;) ) coming out with a BA in philo, and certificates in ESL. I'd like a Masters, but I do want to to teach in Japan.....at least I hope I do. The choice is a pretty large one.

Ryu

a degree in Philosophy? Teach in Japan?
well now, that sounds mighty familiar!
Do it!

Ryu
07-03-2002, 10:20 PM
Chingei, do you have a philo degree?? :)

Ryu

chingei
07-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Ryu
Chingei, do you have a philo degree?? :)

Ryu

I think I do, therefore...:cool: