PDA

View Full Version : Stances- question for some of you CMA types

dnc101
05-20-2002, 09:38 PM
I study American Kenpo, but I've been looking at some of the more traditional CMA stuff just as a matter of curiosity. In particular, I've been looking at some of the stances in internal styles. You seem to be mostly weighted on one leg- especially the rear or trailing leg. I've played with this a little to try and figure the advantages and disadvantages. I thought I'd run some of my thoughts by you guys and see if I'm on the right track. It won't hurt my feelings any if you tell me I'm full of (dung), since I don't claim to know what I'm talking about anyhow.

First off, my knee hurts at just the thought of being left out front in an exposed position. But since the weight is on the back leg the front is easily and quickly moved.

Moving forward in this stance gives momentum and power as you move to the front leg. But I see CMA practitioners punch with the trailing arm as they move their weight to the rear leg. This would seem to violate the principle of Directional Harmony- the body and the strike moving together in the same direction. But if I don't rotate the fist when I strike (that's how I see them do it- palm up) I actually get some power with the strike. This is due to the rotation of the hips and torso, which is a mechanical principle. Also, the weighted leg is sort of like a spring, storing power as it is compressed. But is there some internal principle at work here as well? I don't get as much power as I'd like, so there is probably something I'm missing.

This shifting and transfering of weight from front to rear leg seems to allow for some subtle angles and contouring. It would move your targets just enough for the strike to clear while allowing just enough angle to sneak in your own counter strike.

Our foot maneuvers seem to be similar to those of the CMA stuff I've seen. Our 50/50 weight distribution feels more maneuverable. But that could be because I'm not well versed or practised in the CMA footwork.

Last, the stance itself is a little hard on my knees when I move in it. Am I doing something wrong here? I know that is difficult to answer without seeing me. But I can't be the only one to have experienced this- I'm guessing there are a few common errors that most begginers and the untrained tend to make.

Any help here would be appreciated. I'm not trying to become a practitioner of another style- just trying to expand my knowlege base.

GLW
05-21-2002, 06:26 AM
drop me a note at glw51@hotmail.com on this....

You have raised a lot of issues that are pretty deep into the concepts of body mechanics and Chinese Martial Arts. The concepts are fundamental to the how's and why's and could take much longer than a normal post would permit to examine and explain.

It really boils down to CMA is supposed to be dynamic as opposed to static (In the sense of the words as they are used in Physics).

No_Know
05-21-2002, 08:49 AM
You used what speed for this little study of yours?

I might think that training to move can take some getting used to. They do it slow and not end product low (except at least one Ba gua group their beginners start out very low~.

So might be if you took it easy-ish after several months or years of easy doesit you would be better able to quicker less effort.

Keep your knee along your foot.

fa_jing
05-21-2002, 09:06 AM
You don't move your weight backward as you strike forward. You may, however, sink and/or rotate without moving your weight forward. Also, pay attention to the direction of the strike, it may not be in the forward direction.

-FJ

dnc101
05-22-2002, 10:24 PM
GLW- I'll get you a post as soon as I have more time. Thanks. I assume one of the dynamics you are talking about is flow. After trying it with even my limmited knowlege it is easy to see how this stance lends itself to continuous flow.

No Know- my speed tends to fluxuate between fast forward (on the studying curve) to dead still (as in 'what do I do now?'). I tried keeping my foot and knee in allignment. It's similar to what we do with our twist stance or forward bow, except doing this as I try to maneuver with your stance changes is a slow process. Of course you are right, if I ever decide to use this it would take time to get used to. And it is easier on my knees.

fa_jing- the strikes seem to be generally forward, but at a slight angle to sneak in under the guard or contour his body/moves. And I may have been mistaken. What appears to be backward movement could be the sinking you mention, along with the body torquing as he delivers. Certainly this would have more directional harmony and would not subtract power from the strike.

Another question- the stuff I've looked at is pretty basic, and there wasn't much discussion of principles. But it looks to me that you work off of the opponents reactions (autokenimatic response) to set him up. How much of this do you do? Is it a major concept in your training or just sort of an afterthought?

Nexus
05-22-2002, 10:52 PM
I spent 7 years in Kenpo before I went on to learn Tai Chi Chuan. If I were doing a hard style, Kenpo would be it, excellent choice.

Keep w/ the MA, and if you get a chance to study with a skilled and spirited Tai Chi teacher jump on it!

- Nexus