PDA

View Full Version : A good reason to learn MMA (put your lynch ropes down)

Ryu
05-21-2002, 11:47 AM
You know that Backyard MMA stuff got me thinking.
There are a lot of wannabe tough guys out there who want to emulate the UFC and be a mixed martial artist. They may or may not be skilled in MMA, but a lot of people beat on each other, and have at least a basic knowledge of going to the ground, etc. You may think that not many "bad guys" train, but I think that's a fallacy. I think A LOT of "bad guys" probably watch and try and train (maybe in the loosest sense of the word) MMA.
Now I'm not saying this is the case of everybody. And most people I feel do NOT have the determination to really get skilled at any martial art, including MMA. But people are training it. NHB is popular with a lot of people. So if you think you'll never have to face off with someone who trains it, you might be mistaken.
Plus, if you do train it and are aware of what it is, what they do, and work with people who actually do it, you'll be better off to show the "wannabe" that that is truly what he is. :cool:

Comments are welcome.

Ryu

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-21-2002, 12:58 PM
i think that's a good reason to learn any martial art. i may not go to the best school in the country but i know our guys could put down some wannabees.

norther practitioner
05-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Yeah, you also can't forget about those punk arse wannabe wwf superstars. If they are dumb enough to jump off roofs on to their friends, who knows what they would try in a real fight.

Paul
05-21-2002, 04:17 PM
yeah, that's a great reason to learn mma(LOL!)

respectmankind
05-21-2002, 04:30 PM
i agree with what you just said. but you haveto give credit that their are good fighters out there without them having MA background.

Ryu
05-21-2002, 05:02 PM
That's absolutely true too.
Just wanted to point out how MMA is gaining popularity as a "tough guy's" martial art.... and probably a lot more people train some form of it whether they be skillful or not.

Ryu

respectmankind
05-21-2002, 10:30 PM
tough guy sport yes. everyone who has been in a few fights seems to know how to 'kick someones knee out'. another thing growing in popularity is how martial arts are precieved as something that will give you extra-human powers. if i get kicked in the head and knocked out by someone SNEAKING up on me, I automaticaly must not be a good practitioner.

Gabriel
05-21-2002, 11:10 PM
*Brandishes his lynch rope in his right hand and a pitchfork in the left*

:D

Paul
05-21-2002, 11:46 PM
thanks for this awesome post Ryu. You have made me rethink everything. I'm going to quit what I was doing and take up boxing and MMA. I can see that I was on the wrong path.

Ryu
05-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Aww now you've done gone and hurt my feelings. ;)

Never said even once that people should drop what they do and study only MMA..... just said getting yourself familiar with it is a plus. It's very popular these days. Lots of people probably do it.

Ryu

scotty1
05-22-2002, 12:05 AM
MMA basically consists of wrestling, boxing and the deadly South American art of Dry Humping (thank you UG), yes?

Well, MA types have been training with boxers in mind forever, so that's nothing new, which leaves having to be aware of the need to defend against takedowns and knowing how to get off the ground if you end up there.

Which, quite frankly, has been done to death on this board.

*picks up pitchfork and rope*

Kilik
05-22-2002, 12:30 AM
I think it would be a good idea to pick up some basic knowledge of MMA. I have classmates who on the off class days, train in Pankration and their full contact sparring is phenomenal cuz they know how to strike and are not out of sorts on the ground.
With every second person training is some art these days, you never do quite know if you have the advantage in a fight or not and that's a big thing where i come from cuz its not really encouraging when criminals become sophisticated and elegant fighters. I might be going out on a limb here but I still can't help but think that people who train in MMA don't have the committment to stay with an art and really perfect it.

Kilik
05-22-2002, 12:33 AM
I think it would be a good idea to pick up some basic knowledge of MMA. I have classmates who on the off class days, train in Pankration and their full contact sparring is phenomenal cuz they know how to strike and are not out of sorts on the ground.
With every second person training is some art these days, you never do quite know if you have the advantage in a fight or not and that's a big thing where i come from cuz its not really encouraging when criminals become sophisticated and elegant fighters. I might be going out on a limb here but I still can't help but think that people who train in MMA don't have the committment to stay with an art and really perfect it;)

Kilik
05-22-2002, 12:35 AM
sorry about the double post...my PC did something really funny:o :o

wushu chik
05-22-2002, 01:37 AM
Kilik~
Why didn't you just edit and delete it?? sheesh, d@mn newbies!!

Anyways....
STOP HURTING RYU's FEELINGS...you are just jealous you aren't as nice as him!!

~Wen~

Kilik
05-22-2002, 01:50 AM
hey that's unfair, you don't even know me, i can be as nice as him ( bit of bootlicking there ) ...and besides i should be allowed a LITTLE bit of leeway as i'm new here...:D

wushu chik
05-22-2002, 01:57 AM
Um.........hmmmmmmmm....welllllllllllllllll.....hm mmmmmmmmmm.

NO!

~Wen~

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

red5angel
05-22-2002, 06:21 AM
Ryu - What you say at first makes some logical sense but I dont see that as a reason to train MMA. If its what you want to do I say more power to you, but if I train hard in my art I would hope that my training can pit me against a backyard mma guy and still win. I am sure there are quite a few people playing around in the backyard or the basement iwth some video tapes, etc...but I know that guys who half azz it like that in my art get thier azzez kicked fast. I think as long as you dedicat eyour time and energy to proper training in any art these types of people shouldnt be a concern.

scotty1
05-22-2002, 06:34 AM
Word.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-22-2002, 10:29 AM
that's what i said.

man . .. talk about raping the elderly and your puss dripping scrotem a couple hundred times and people have a tendency not to listen to you no more. what gives?

red5angel
05-22-2002, 10:33 AM
What was that GDA? ;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-22-2002, 12:50 PM
i would have been disapointed if someone hadn't come back with that.