PDA

View Full Version : Jet Li's "HERO" & Trailer

urban tea
05-21-2002, 10:30 PM
http://www.jetli.com/jetli/projects/projects_other_hero.php?bw=high

This seems like it's going to be a good movie ! Finally a good movie by Jet Li ! It's entirely shot in Asia which means american directors aren't going to put a bunch of cheesy computer-generated effects.

Donnie Yen is also in the movie , which I find very interesting. It seems to be that when Jet and Donnie were in Once Upon A Time in China - they didn't talk to each other much. I suspect Donnie was being big headed but who knows.

In an interview with Donnie Yen I read awhile back , they asked about that movie and Jet Li.

Donnie said something like, " Yeah I worked with him in that movie. We had a couple fight scenes, that is all."

To me I would think that a star would add, " I didn't get a chance to work with him much but he's a nice guy and I love his work."

Hmm... do they got beef?

Phenix_Eye
05-22-2002, 02:23 AM
I think they didn't speak much was because Jet speaks manderin and Donnie speaks Cantonese. But that fight scene in Once upon a time in China has to be one of the best fight scenes ever made!

Hopefully Hero will be as good

urban tea
05-22-2002, 01:46 PM
No... that can't be it. Donnie yen speaks mandarin . I'm almost sure of that.

Everyone that grows up in hong kong speaks both!!

dezhen2001
05-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Donnie studied in Beijing under the same teacher as Jet i tink, so i'm sure can speak both :) That was how he was first 'discovered' chilling in HK on the way to Beijing or something...

david

Stacey
05-22-2002, 05:03 PM
Jets acting keeps getting better. I think he plays ancient chinese better. In RMD when he give the "b-boy" vibe...that was totally wrong.

He's lived his entire life doing kung fu. He doens't know how to be elvis or a modern american cool guy. He's spent most of his life in old gymnasiums in sweats.

His life has been hard work and thats why he does period pieces better. I think that he is more like wong fei hong is his personal approach to life than he is "han" in RMD. I see him as someone with a great deal of nobility, honor and class beyond society. Like Russel Crowe in Gladiator...only with a Taoist side.

tri2bmt
05-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Jet Li sucks

tri2bmt
05-22-2002, 07:23 PM
My mistake...:rolleyes:

Je Lei Sifu
05-22-2002, 07:28 PM
I believe Donnie Yen speaks manderin. That is the dialect his mother speaks.

Does anyone no his name in the manderin dialect? In Cantonese, it's Yan Gi Dan. Just wondering about the manderin name.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

Silumkid
05-22-2002, 10:52 PM
I may be totally wrong on this, but I think I heard Donnie Yen's name in Mandarin as "Yen Chi-Tan" or something like that. Sounds almost the same as the Cantonese....unless that is the Cantonese and I just misheard it...:D

Donnie did study with the Beijing Wushu Team but I don't think it was at the same time as Jet. Apparently, from an interview I read with Donnie, his mother Bow Sim-Mark got Donnie accepted in BWT as a courtesy to her. I guess he was kind of a troublemaker.

Ryu
05-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Screw Jet Li and everyone who looks like Jet Li.

:D

Ryu

-Sai-
05-22-2002, 11:48 PM
Donnie's name in Mandarin is Yen Ji-Dan.

urban tea
05-23-2002, 03:55 AM
Donnie Yen's mom speaks mandarin AND cantonese. My first sifu is good friends with Bow Sim Mark and my first sifu only speaks cantonese.

You guys, it's not the language issue!!!

Anyways moving on ..

Jet can play more than the kung fu roles!! His movie " Bodyguard in Beijing" he was smoooth. He was a pimp in a suit. He had a gun and kicked some as5.

He had that hot girl too. His bad english skills is holding back is acting skills

Kristoffer
05-23-2002, 04:18 AM
Can't everyone of u just drop dead? :D For real..

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 04:42 AM
Kristoffer: we all will one day - hope you'll be glad knowing that :)
Urban Tea: i agree about BFB, i think time will tell though... can't keep doing such mad wushu forever...

david

Tae Li
05-23-2002, 05:04 AM
What did u people think I wouldnt arrive here at some stage??????

Firstly, one of the sole reasons why we are hoping HERO will be the next fist of legend (well for me anyway) is cos its entirely shot in asia.... no Hollywood hogas Bogas, not that China isnt capable of that:D

Not too sure about the dialects of Donnie Yuen....but I think you lots sorted that out...Jet is a def. mandarin speaker!

And the next person to say a bad thing about my man Jet is gonna get ARSE WHOOPING that aint ever gonna foget! lol

His acting has always been brilliant, ok maybe not, but work with me work with me people!

Tae Li

;) Jet's REAL lady.

Kristoffer
05-23-2002, 05:57 AM
:D

Tae Li
05-23-2002, 06:07 AM
watch it Kris...that smile is pushing it dude;)

Tae Li;)

Ryu
05-23-2002, 07:57 AM
......must resist.... terribly powerful urge....... to make...... funny joke..... about Jet Li....

Tae Li......will be angry.... mustn't joke....

Kristoffer
05-23-2002, 08:17 AM
No worrys Miss Li, I'll behave..
Hey Ryu! Maybe we should stop posting here before any newbee starts calling us a troll :D

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 08:25 AM
TROLL! :D

david

txwingchun
05-23-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Tae Li
What did u people think I wouldnt arrive here at some stage??????

Firstly, one of the sole reasons why we are hoping HERO will be the next fist of legend (well for me anyway) is cos its entirely shot in asia.... no Hollywood hogas Bogas, not that China isnt capable of that:D

Not too sure about the dialects of Donnie Yuen....but I think you lots sorted that out...Jet is a def. mandarin speaker!

And the next person to say a bad thing about my man Jet is gonna get ARSE WHOOPING that aint ever gonna foget! lol

His acting has always been brilliant, ok maybe not, but work with me work with me people!

Tae Li

;) Jet's REAL lady.
C R A P I was afraid of this, now you guys are Getting her real mad. After she goes ballistic on all you guys bashing Jet Li whose going to clean up the mess?:eek:

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 08:52 AM
LOL! I'm just glad i'm in the UK when the sh@t hits the fan :D

david

Phenix_Eye
05-23-2002, 09:57 AM
I heard donnie speak cantonese in some kind of interview once so I asumed that was his language.

tri2bmt
05-23-2002, 02:21 PM
My post is really three in one.
1) Tell the joke Ryu.
2) Why the **** do you guys care what language they speak? Really, it's bloody retarded.
3) Jet Li still sucks.

Tae Li
05-23-2002, 06:57 PM
LOL! u boys are funny, but at least u know who is in control here;) very good, your well trained..hahahahahaha.

No, on a serious note, lets not prejudge the movie even if you dont like Jet, wait until it comes out and THEN bad mouth it...if you have the guts;) yep, you all lose.... AGAIN.:cool:

Tae Li;)

Silumkid
05-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Sorry....I don't just "drop dead"...someone has to make me. Obviously, no one has been able to yet.

Christy Cheung is WAY hot! (That's the actress from BFB if you don't know) :D

Jet Li could kick your dad's butt! So there.

Ryu
05-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Screw Christy Cheung and everyone who looks like Christy Cheung.

...................... uh..... you know what I mean.

Ryu

Silumkid
05-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Ryu,

I sure do and I sure would!

Sho
05-26-2002, 01:30 PM
Nowadays incredibly many people in Hong Kong and southern China speak Mandarin. Very small villages are of course excluded, but at least the younger generation speak Putonghua, because schools use it for teaching.

Ky-Fi
05-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Wasn't Christy Chung in Tai Chi II? She is unbelievably beautiful.

Anyways, just to add some fuel to the Jet vs. Donnie thing :)..

A couple years ago, Donnie came back to Boston (his hometown), and he gave a free showing of his directorial work Ballistic Kiss, and he was there to talk. It wasn't really advertised much, and there was a pretty small crowd---25 people or so. Somebody asked him, since he fought Jet in OUATIC II, who was a better martial artist in real life. Donnie just shook his head and smiled, and said "....ANY day....." :) But it was pretty good-natured, and he didn't have anything bad to say about Jet. I was impressed that Donnie Yen was just so upbeat and enthusiastic about EVERY aspect of filmmaking---he just seemed to really love the whole process. He seemed like a very friendly, down-to-earth guy.

urban tea
05-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Donnie's training seems to have a mix of many martial arts such as tae kwon do, wing chun, northern shaolin, wushu, and..judo? Similar to Jackie Chan.

He has some muscles, does he lift weights!!!

rogue
05-26-2002, 09:35 PM
Guess the punchline!

What's the difference between Jet Li and an actor?:D

dezhen2001
05-27-2002, 03:15 AM
Donnie studied at the Beijing Wushu College if i am correct (?), but once he 'got' in to movies in HK, i think he has looked at other systems also. I remember him saying in an interview (for a video called 'cinema of vengeance' i think...) that he has looked at the likes of Bruce lee, jackie chan etc. and incorporated things to come up with his own 'way' of doing things on screen...

i would say that starring alongside ppl form other systems means that you will assimilate some of the skill they have. It's a natural thing.

david :)

Sho
05-27-2002, 06:50 AM
Chop Suey / Own flavour = Perfect! ;)

So I agree with what dezhen2001 said about Donnie. You should get influenced from others and divide that information with your own taste.

dezhen2001
05-27-2002, 06:54 AM
This is getting freaky... far 2 many people are agreeing with me lately :D
Donnie has done some cool movies though... nuff said (also some cheezy ones, but nvm)

david

Silumkid
05-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Here's some interesting Donnie stuff as relates to the "Could he beat Jet?" question posted earlier....

There has been a story floating around for quite some time that Donnie supposedly would only allow a person to defeat him on film if the person could defeat him in real life. Who won the fight in OUTIC 2 again? :p

And yes, Donnie is a weightlifter! I believe it was on a video called "The Deadliest Art" where the filmamkers interviewed Donnie and you can clearly see that it is in a gym's weightroom and he is dressed to work out. He's one of us! (Those of us who play the Iron Game anyhow!) :D

Crimson Phoenix
06-17-2002, 08:46 AM
even if it's utterly subjective, Donnie Yen impresses me 100x more than Jet. Really, not kidding...he's my all time fav...
As for the theory of being defeated in a movie only if he were defeated in real life, I highly doubt it...in "Dragon Inn gate" he gets his ass kicked by a mongolian butcher then get stabbed to death in the throat by Tony Leung Kar Fai (not the one from "In the mood for love", the other Tony Leung).
See? My personal theory is that he just gets defeated when he's the bad guy and the bad guy needs to die :)

doug maverick
07-06-2002, 07:56 AM
in a inside kung fu mag(i know i should be shot for even picking up the mag) donnie said that he didn't even fight with jet only his stunt man and the reason why they didn't speak was because they only bits and pieces on screen and both were doing other flicks, but on a another note i think jet sucks he ****ed me of in the one with his corny xing yi and bagua, another thing that ****ed me of was the ever so popular once apon a time in china movie(except for part 2) he didn't do know hung gar just kicks and punches while donnie on the other hand used plenty of hung gar moves in iron monkey.

"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove"
denzel washington \training day

dezhen2001
07-08-2002, 07:51 AM
Better not let Tae Li hear u say that about her 'man'... I'm sure she has a 6th sense when it comes to that :D

Crimson Phoenix: I agree... good guy=lives bad guy=dies... pretty simple :) Though i'm sure he's still a pretty good fighter!

doug maverick: hmmm... a bit hard for Jet to do any Nan quan when his speciality was northern systems. But i agree, i would much rather have seen that than everything else. I guess proper Hung Gar Kuen doesn't look so interesting (to non MA) as Chang Quan :confused: Also i must admit i didn't really see much difference between what Donnie did in Iron Monkey either. Apart from some little tiger claw poses and things (when he fights the monks with the gal in the sack etc.). I admit i haven't seen much hung gar kuen though, apart form online clips etc. Jackies dad in Drunken Master seemed to have more real Hung than anyone else i have seen :p

btw - does anyone know what form 'wong fei hung' did in Iron Monkey when he was trying to raise money (before the thiefs challenge him/her)?

Still, can't wait on Hero being released. It'd better live up to all the anticipation we have :D

david

NorthernMantis
07-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by doug maverick
in a inside kung fu mag(i know i should be shot for even picking up the mag) donnie said that he didn't even fight with jet only his stunt man and the reason why they didn't speak was because they only bits and pieces on screen and both were doing other flicks, but on a another note i think jet sucks he ****ed me of in the one with his corny xing yi and bagua, another thing that ****ed me of was the ever so popular once apon a time in china movie(except for part 2) he didn't do know hung gar just kicks and punches while donnie on the other hand used plenty of hung gar moves in iron monkey.

"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove"
denzel washington \training day

They both suck. Now Gordon Liu rocks the boat. There's a star for ya.

jun_erh
07-19-2002, 10:44 AM
Don't miss Christy Chung in Man Wanted w/ Simon Yam and Yu Ron Guang (two ill mother****ers)

HuangKaiVun
07-20-2002, 04:00 AM
The difference between Jet Li and a guy like Donnie Yen is HUGE:

Jet Li can REALLY REALLY FIGHT.

From the looks of his Piguazhang in Twin Warriors, Jet Li has all of the power and fluidity and instinct to really cause a lot of problems in a streetfight.

The purest (not necessarily best) example of Hung Gar on screen is "Mr. Chou" from Jackie Chan's "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow".

That's the guy who fractures his hand on the bricks and ends up howling in pain when the young son shakes his hand afterwards.

Every time that guy appears in a movie (also was a challenger of "Bruce Lee" in "Bruce Lee, the Man and the Myth"), he's doing Hung Gar. His strong stances and power coming out of the ground are characteristic of that style, though I could imagine Hung Gar being a lot better practiced.

Jackie's dad in "Drunken Master" does NOT have more Hung Gar than THIS guy. His center of balance was too high and his moves were not internally driven like Mr. Chou's were. However, Drunken Master is interesting for the demo of the "5 animals" set by the same fat guy that was the young student in "Snake and the Eagle's Shadow".

Other examples of Hung Ga in movies: Master Killer "Fist" training sequence - the class is doing "Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen" with Yuen Hsiao (Sam Seed) making corrections. Jackie Chan also goes into the "Fu Hok" set right before fighting "Sam Seed" in "Drunken Master". Also the opening shots of "Master Killer" have Gordon Liu doing an excellent (if camera-ized) "5 animals" set.

dezhen0001, it looks to me as if little wong fei hung's demo was more of a wushu/changquan influenced routine made up for the movies.

With kung fu movies made past 1980, you're basically looking at guys who train modern wushu.

dezhen2001
07-20-2002, 08:06 AM
HKV: thanks for your post, i agree with what you said about Hung Gar... Mr Chou has been in a lot of movies and seems to have good skill from what i have heard. Re: the 'wong fei hung form', that's basically what i thought, Chang quan with some nan quan influence... i tought the boy (gal?) that played WFH was some kind of wushu champion anyway? :)

And it sucks that most movie stuff is based on Wushu now :( Though it looks amazing i would prefer to see traditional skills, especially Internals used properly :)

david

doug maverick
07-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Every good ma fighter knows that you can't tell if a person can fight by watching a movie, let me tell you something your mom should've told you, movies are not real they are fiction fight scene are down hundreds of times until they become fluid you idiot, donnie yen was a gangster when he was a kid in baltimore so he always had get into some kinda a fight cause actual fighting(not movie fighting hungkaivun) is how we see if a fighting system is effective or not. but on a better note i agree with about that guy and the hung gar...

swordsoul
08-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Hi guys! why don't we all just accept the fact that it's stage combat?? HOw about that HERO movie huh? heard it's gonna rock CTHD's block off!

Silent Assassin
11-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Here it is, the movie Hero trailer.

It looks AWESOME!!!

http://www.herothemovie.com/html/hero_trailer.html

SanSoo Student
11-04-2002, 11:58 PM
Man! that looks good. It looks like its going to have some Asian "Braveheart" scenes, but also have all the good flying-fu effects that made Ekin Cheng famous. It should be awesome becuase all the good martial arts/ flying-fu people are in it.

GeneChing
11-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Gonna have to get the VCD AND see the big screen premiere. A new hope!

Nevermind
11-06-2002, 02:00 PM
I think Jet's finally found his masterpiece.

norther practitioner
01-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Now that it has been out for a while, I thought I'd ttt this thread...

I thought the cinematography in HERO was awsome, and I really enjoyed the movie as well, the ending was a bit different, but thats to be expected, or unexpected in this case.

SanSoo Student
01-15-2004, 02:54 AM
Way Better than all the Hip-Hop trash he has been releasing in the US.

Vash
01-15-2004, 02:55 PM
. . . I like Romeo Must Die. Parts of it, at least.

Was better than Kiss of the Dragon and the One.

But how could Cradle 2 the Grave suck so bad? I've only seen two other movies that fuggin horrible; "The Invincible Super Chan" and "Killjoy/Killjoy 2."

PHILBERT
01-15-2004, 11:47 PM
I finally saw it last night. A classmate of mine let me borrow her DVD, which proved to be difficult to work since I can't read Chinese. Luckily I found the button to start the movie, then I thought "well it should have subs". It didn't, so I pressed buttons on my control and got English subtitles going. w00t.

It started off slow, even, well, crappy. At about the 30 minute marker I was bored of it, then when the guy said he does not believe Jet Li's story, it got better. The first 30 minutes I thought "Why is this getting so much oscar buzz?" Then by the end I thought "Good movie"

norther practitioner
03-29-2004, 02:36 PM
According to various internet sources, Miramax have changed the title of Hero, to Jet Li's Hero. I believe this is another Miramax marketing strategy

According to Hollywood Stock Exchange, the new release date for Hero has been placed at August 20, 2004.

According to Fangoria Magazine, Quentin Tarantino has been pushing Miramax to release Hero in North America. The actor/director, who's a big fan of Asian cinema, has agreed to Miramax's condition, that he should "present" it, similar to what he did with Iron Monkey.

MasterKiller
03-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Vash

But how could Cradle 2 the Grave suck so bad? Three words: D M X

Vash
03-29-2004, 04:27 PM
And Steve Arnold.
And that chick that Darkman X was with.
And the chunky dude from Romeo Must Die (it suxored, but no where near as bad as KOTD, the One, and Cradle).
If it had been just Marc Ducascus and Jet Li the whole movie, would've loved it.

But, I watched that movie for free while I was sweeping and mopping Hollywood Video's floor, and I still felt like I should get my money back.

cha kuen
03-30-2004, 12:04 AM
what's jet's next movie?

i remember reading about some kung fu /comedy based in nyc?

dodger87
04-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Hey, when was Hero made? Because me and my friends saw it ages ago weren't sure whether Jet Li went back to China to make it or made it before he went to hollywood.

Anyways the movie is okay, too much wire work, story line is really good though.

norther practitioner
04-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Hero is only a few years old now (if that).

The wirework was part of the story...