PDA

View Full Version : Hello out there - Tan Tui

Kilik
05-21-2002, 10:56 PM
Hey there everybody

This is my first post so to get the ball rolling i thought i would ask a question?

Does anybody know anything about a style called Tan Tui or leg flicking boxing it is also called pond legs.
There are ten routines in my syllabus but i have recently heard that there a twelve, two of which was added by Shaolin Monks.

What i wanna know is what are the two extra routines about? if anybody can refer me to a site or has some info. It would be most welcome.BTW is there anybody else out there that studies Chang Quan or Long Fist?

Cheers :cool:

Gabriel
05-21-2002, 11:06 PM
in my school, Tan Tui is lowering one leg with the other leg kicked out into a front kick. We go down into a one legged squat kicking leg straight out, and then stand back up. Killer excercise for the legs.

Gabriel

GLW
05-22-2002, 06:02 AM
Gabriel,

the exercise you describe is NOT Tan Tui but rather (excuse the bad pinyin) Ching Jing Tsui - translated as "To Lift 1000 Lbs." It is a fairly common drill for northern styles such as Zha Quan. It can build extremely strong and balanced legs - but it is also very hard on the knees - so if you have a knee injury - don't do it.

Tan Tui - there are actually two sets of characters for this. They both have the character TUI - leg but the Tan may be slightly different. One is Springing as in a spring or coil spring. The other refers to a well known spring well.

The Shr Lu Tan Tui (10 line)is probably the oldest intact version. It is mainly used in the Zha Quan systems (Islamic Long Fist) associated with the Hui ethnic group. The Hui were well known for their fighting and many of the Hui systems such as Pao Quan, Zha Quan, Hua Quan, etc... use Shr Lu Tan Tui as a basic foundation.

Then you have the Shr Er Lu Tan Tui or Shr Er Lu Tam Tui (12 line). This one supposedly has different origins but there are indications that it came from the Shr Lu Tan Tui.

There are also recordings of Shr Ba Lu Tan Tui (18 line) and others.

The methods are similar. Each set (10, 12, 18, etc...) can be done emphasizing the single line or as they call it Chong Tan Tui.

Single line is where you do each line (1, 2, 3, etc... ) over and over ...a line of Tan Tui 1 across the training area, around the room, etc...

Chong Tan Tui is more for demonstration purposes and preparation to go to longer and more complex routines. This method is where you do Tan Tui 1 - 1 repetition, then immediately do Tan Tui 2 - 1 rep, Tan Tui 3- etc.... So, you do all 10 connected together but only one of each. The name implies a stake running through it - kind of like a shish kabob.

Which one you do is not nearly as important as doing them with good stances, understanding that each kick can be low, medium, or high, that most of the punches can be straight, hook, uppercut, swinging, etc....

GeneChing
05-22-2002, 09:29 AM
But it's by the Cantonese name Tom Toy - see
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12377

Gabriel
05-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Gene.

ah, I see. Well we learn something new everyday. I must have misunderstood the pronunciation of the excercise we do. Well thanks for informing me of my ignorance.

Gabriel

internal mind
05-22-2002, 06:07 PM
Didn't someone take the ten line set and break down the last two into for sets to make twelve? So if you have ten you have what is in the last two of the twelve line set.

diego
05-22-2002, 06:58 PM
Gabriel i think what gene meant was the thread is under the canto title tom toy, but how you know it from mandarin as tantui fits proper, he just meant that is how the thread is labeled.
peace

GeneChing
05-23-2002, 09:24 AM
Both Tantui and Tom Toy are correct, it depends on your dialect. YOur pronounciation is correct in Mandarin. I was just pointing out the difference so you could find the thread. :)