PDA

View Full Version : Bai Mei Building Blocks

tnwingtsun
05-24-2001, 10:25 PM
I have been taught that Jek bo is the building block for Nine-Step-Push.
I found a school that teaches NSP before Jek bo.
IMO that seems to walk before crawling.
Just my take on it,I've heard of a guy that did
JUST Nine-Step-Push all of his life.

Any thoughts?

fiercest tiger
05-24-2001, 11:58 PM
i have a bak mei LEGO SET!

sorry man i had too!lol :D

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Kevin Barkman
05-25-2001, 05:31 AM
Before the basic form, shouldn't the student learn the footwork, basic hand movements, body conditioning, ging development exercises, and stances? What about the movements teaching tun to fao chum? The breathing? I think Jek Bo teaches these concepts very well.

Gau Bo Toy, IMHO, is the most important BM form. However, there are also a few Hung Gar schools that start the student at Foo Hok Seung Ying Kuen too, and dispense with the "formalities". It does seem very strange to teach JB after GBT though!

I can be swayed to both sides of the argument. It seems too much of kung fu is designed to make the Sifu a little more money - put the student in a "holding pattern". If you want to teach the real Art real quick, then there are easier ways to do it than starting them at the proverbial bottom.

From what I see out there, many BM schools only teach 4 hand sets in their entire curriculum:

Jek Bo
Sup Ji
Gau Bo Toy
Sup Baat Moh-Kiew

I am beginning to wonder if these are the "external" or outward sets presented to outsiders as "real" Bak Mei, while the rest of the Art remains more or less hidden from those less devoted.

P.S. - I start everyone at the "proverbial bottom" too.

Cheers - kevin

tnwingtsun
05-26-2001, 12:36 AM
LOL,FT,thanks Kevin,you made some very good observations.

MarkS
05-28-2001, 11:16 AM
The system I learn teaches Tiger Steps, Nine Step Push, 18 Deflect Palm and Fierce Tiger comes out from Forest. Sub Jee is not taught at all.
Interesting.

Mark S

tnwingtsun
05-28-2001, 11:38 AM
Sub Jee is good,yummy stuff.
BTW,by "Tiger steps" are you reffering to
"Jek bo"?

Ego_Extrodinaire
05-28-2001, 04:58 PM
tnwingtsun,

do you do wing tsun or bak mei.

As for that person who did the 9 step push all his life, what was the problem, can't count to 10?

Obviously bak mei like all southern styles must be simplistic and easy to master.

what do you think?

Maximus Materialize!

MarkS
05-28-2001, 05:08 PM
Yes, but for some reason the chinese is Fu Jik Bo.
I usually use the english.
There is reason for not doing Sub Jee. As it is replaced by other training before the Bak Mei sets.

Mark S

tnwingtsun
05-29-2001, 05:29 AM
Thanks Mark,well wishes in your training!!

Ego Extrodinaire!

I train in both!!!!,I guess that makes me a mixed MA
or a crosstrainer,maybe they'll let me be a moderater on the JKD forum.

As for southern styles being easy to master I must be a dummy because I haven't got there yet.

I'm sorry to hear that you're in a wheelchair,
it must hard for a master such as yourself not to be able to pratice whatever MA you used to do.
Don't be mad at the world,if there was no southern Kung-fu I'm sure you'de find something to complain about.

:rolleyes: