PDA

View Full Version : OT: Explanation, please.

Shadow Dragon
05-22-2002, 01:01 AM
Ok, Guys & Gals.

I need some help here, as there is something I cannot for the life of me understand.

A friend of mine recently went back to the USA to visit his Family.

On the Flight INTO the USA they were allowed hot foods, metal cutlery, carrying scissors, etc (pretty much the same as pre-9/11)
On the Flight back (AWAY from the USA) no Cutlery, basic sandwiches, and no dangerous Items.

Both Flights were on a NON-US Airline.
Now is it me or is someone here a tad confused.
Please, somebody explain this logic to me.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

scotty1
05-22-2002, 02:00 AM
Different policies I guess. But i'm surprised they didn't do it on both ways. I would have though every airline in the Western Hemisphere would be ultra vigilant now.

They've obviously forgotten. :(

Shadow Dragon
05-22-2002, 02:34 AM
Scotty1.

I would have assumed the same.
And wouldn't have been surprised if he flew different airlines, but both flight were by the same Airline.
:confused:

Peace.

dezhen2001
05-22-2002, 02:38 AM
that is confusing... :confused: I've just given up trying to understand people, makes my life easier.
Shadow> if ur online and have time, there are 3 of us in chat now :p

david

Shadow Dragon
05-22-2002, 04:01 AM
David.

I will be in Chat in about 1‚ˆ‚’ time, got the usual worklaod lined up.

Seeya maybe later. and anybody else that might be there.

Sho
05-22-2002, 05:34 AM
These rules depend on the policies of the destination country, so USA probably accepts those things you mentioned while some other countries don't. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shadow Dragon
05-22-2002, 05:40 AM
I think you are wrong in this case.

The USA seems to be verys trcit as to what can be taken onto a plane, whereas other Countries don't seem to follow those same rules.

So a Plane restocking in the States would get stuff according to their rules.

Peace.

JusticeZero
05-26-2002, 11:41 PM
It isn't that they were "allowed" things on the way in or whatever, it's that the airport in the U.S. didn't allow the sharp objects, and the airport at the other place didn't mind. Look at the airport, not the destination.

Shadow Dragon
05-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Look at the airport, not the destination.

That's what I was kinda looking at.

In that case NY Airport didn't like sharp objects but allowed flights to come in from Airports that does not restrict them.
Hence passengers carried them on the Plane and in the airport.

On the return flight, people going to an Airport that allows sharp objects could not take them there due to the departing airports rules.
Even though they brought the same things into that very same Airport on Arrival.

Sorry, either way I turn it it still seems weird, kinda logical but weird.
The Airports are restricting sharp objects to prevent Planes from being hijacked was the reason I heard for it.

It came to light as my Friends mom will visit him soon,and she wants to take do some quilting on the flight back/forth. (12 hr flight).
I am just saying that if I were a Hijacker I would catch a flight from outside the US to do some damage within due to those rules.

Those rules are ok, i guess but will only work for flight within the USA, similar with the Pilot/Gun issue.

Peace.

JusticeZero
05-30-2002, 01:29 AM
Really it isn't going to work for flights within the U.S. How many mundane objects do you have within arms reach that aren't a knife that you can think of ways to do serious damage to someone with? Whenever a security person asks if I have any weapons, I tell them "I don't have any knives or guns." I'm certainly not going to give them an unconditional answer, unless I want to get on the plane in the nude..

wooha
05-30-2002, 06:33 AM
If you think about it, a flight just leaving the US is ripe for hijacking and crashing into a building because it still has a load of fuel in it. A plane that's arriving at it's destination from overseas has already used up it's payload of fuel so there's not much point in stealing it.

Seems fairly sensible to me in a strange kind of way.

chingei
05-30-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by JusticeZero
Whenever a security person asks if I have any weapons, I tell them "I don't have any knives or guns." I'm certainly not going to give them an unconditional answer, ..

b.s.