PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Dummy for xingyi practice?

Eight Diagram Boxer
05-22-2002, 02:18 PM
I've been looking for something to practice xingyi applications with when I don't have a person around. Would a mook jong/wooden dummy from Wing Chun be useful? Does anyone have any training aids they use to practice applications?

Nexus
05-22-2002, 03:44 PM
Only if you want to be constantly replacing your dummy due to devestating it with your ferocious internal attacks. Unless of course you practice soft style xingi.

Scarletmantis
05-22-2002, 06:57 PM
This may sound wierd, but it's something I sort of "invented" and I've been dying to share it. I wanted something I could practice Gao style line drills with, but the problem is that like Xing Yi, the drills all involve stepping forward and into your target. That means that a stationary dummy is either going to get knocked over, or that you're only going to be able to perform one or two strikes before you have to step back and re-position yourself.

To overcome this problem, I set an old heavy bag that wieghs about sixty pounds on a line strung between two trees. The line is just a 2" thick rope and the bag is tied loosely enough to slide along it if you hit it hard enough. The rope will get worn and eventually start providing more resistance to your strikes due to the friction.

The hard part is getting the rope taught enough to support the bag. I had to get a friend to help me and we used my car to get the rope as tight as we could. It works very well and I've always thought that a Xing Yi stylist would love practicing thier five element fists with it. You should try it as it's much less expensive than most dummies on the market, and it's particularly geared toward the type of drills you are doing.

If you wanna go super cheap and you don't have a heavy bag already, try stringing up a duffle bag full of old clothing and some sand for wieght. I also use four old pillow cases full of sand for iron palm training and this would work also. (mines too heavy though , about 100 lbs.)

Eight Diagram Boxer
05-23-2002, 05:26 AM
That is a great idea Scarletmantis, unfortunately I dont live in a house and don't have a back yard to string up something like that. Maybe someday when I get a house though...

dedalus
05-25-2002, 01:20 AM
I agree, that's a really great idea! Cheers for sharing :-)