PDA

View Full Version : Totally solo training

IronFist
05-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Assume you have no partner, no dummy, and no wallbag. After you do SLT 100 times what else is there to do? Air punching? Is it effective or even worth my time to do things like tan da and other techniques in the air? What else can you do when you're totally by yourself? Obviously chi sao is out of the question :) I want martial exercises, not things like pushups, situps, pullups, etc.

IronFist

Wingman
05-22-2002, 09:22 PM
No partner, no dummy, no wallbag, and training solo? That's a tall order, Ironfist!

Without a partner, obviously you can't do chisao or 2 man drills. If you don't have a dummy, you can still do the dummy forms without the dummy. I sometimes do this so that I won't forget the sequence of the dummy form. But it is highly recommended if you have a dummy.

You can punch the wall if you don't have a wallbag. Just be sure you have the proper structure of the punch, otherwise you could hurt your hand.

It is very hard to learn wing chun if you don't have a partner. Why not learn tai chi instead?

IronFist
05-22-2002, 09:52 PM
I have a dummy and a wallbag, and starting next week I'll have a workout partner sometimes. I'm just saying, what if you didn't have any of those?

IronFist

Ish
05-23-2002, 04:31 AM
its still beneficial to do all the basics on your own just in the air like tan da, ghan da, turning bong saus and just punching. you can practice lots of turning and stepping and kicking on your own too.

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 04:46 AM
You can practise SLT and things like footwork, turning and stepping as well. I often don't see my Sifu for a month or so, and have no partners to roll with at University :( Lucky i mainly train qigong anyway.

Also: Taijiquan requires a partner to develop pushing hands also. Otherwise it's just form and you may as well do SLT in that case!

david

Martial Joe
05-23-2002, 11:36 AM
You can be the best, all alone...

Chum Kil
05-23-2002, 12:33 PM
Why can't you do chi sao by yourself? Matter of fact you should be doing chi sao on your own more than with a partner. One of the main components of chi sao is learning how to roll properly. This would be the best time for you to perfect it. Not with someone hanging on your arms. Doing the forms, applying applications from the forms, chi sao, dan chi sao, wooden dummy training can all be done by yourself.

John

Martial Joe
05-23-2002, 12:44 PM
Good point John...

S.Teebas
05-23-2002, 02:54 PM
i disagree. i think chi sau is priceless. Doing it will increase your skill level dramatically. The forms teach you how to move correctly. Chi-sau can give you a chance to see if you can move correctly while being affected by outside pressure. (or the ability to be UNaffected while moving properly)

rael
05-23-2002, 03:30 PM
How about a Rattan ring? They are cheap and easy
to use. Great for conditioning arms and for foot work. Plus the chicks dig em! heh heh.

Rael

yuanfen
05-23-2002, 03:37 PM
Wunnerful. Wunnerful.
Ironfist Wingchun.
Soon to be a do it yourself video?

popsider
05-23-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Chum Kil
Why can't you do chi sao by yourself? Matter of fact you should be doing chi sao on your own more than with a partner. One of the main components of chi sao is learning how to roll properly. This would be the best time for you to perfect it. Not with someone hanging on your arms. Doing the forms, applying applications from the forms, chi sao, dan chi sao, wooden dummy training can all be done by yourself.

John

Chi sao without a partner :confused:

I don't think so.

Martial Joe
05-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Its like air punching, but rolling hands...

Working on the form and the energy alone will definitly help...so I do think so:p :D !!!

Ish
05-24-2002, 04:22 AM
i've never done dan chi sau or chi sau with out a partner and i donyt think i ever will. you can practice each part of the rolling iseperatly in the air but i dont see what benefits you would get from just rolling by your self. how can you tell wether your changing positions correct? how does it improve you sensetivity and use of angles etc?

sticky fingers
05-24-2002, 08:50 AM
Ironfist,I know how you feel

I hardly get to train with anyone who knows wing chun here in Osaka. When you're by yourself you have to get creative.
I go down to the local park and use a smooth trunked tree as a partner. If you're lucky you can find a tree that resembles a dummy. I practice on one that has a big root protruding from the ground(just like the leg of a dummy), it's good for training footwork, sidesteps etc. I strike the tree hard with open palm strikes, and I can even pratice tan-da,lop-da and bong-lopda because it has a low lying branch like an arm. Just remember to find a smooth tree, you don't want splinters. Train your combinations with the tree. And you can blast away with kicks too. Don't worry about the dummy forms, just use and practice what you know already.
For short power, someone suggested a large can filled with rocks on a table. See how far you can move it across the table with a 1 inch punch. I've never tried it myself though.
Lie on your back and do chain punches straight up into the air while holding light dumbells.
As for chi-sau you can practice rolling in air but it doesn't do jack for sensitivity. Chisauing air only helps with form and training your 'chisau' muscles. Do it just for variety from SLT.
Don't bother with rattan rings. You have to apply outward, not forward force to keep them from slipping off your arms. Develops bad habits I believe.
And get your mates to train with you whenever possible!!!

[Censored]
05-24-2002, 12:54 PM
Punch in the air. Do footwork drills. If you can't find any information whatsoever on Wing Chun footwork, try Xing-I footwork for the time being.

Solo Chi Sao is a joke. You can practice the tan-bong transition while keeping the shoulder sunk, but then again, that's already in SLT.

fa_jing
05-24-2002, 01:50 PM
I don't know about you guys, but we have a set of techniques that we practice every beginning of class, while stance turning:

High Pak + Punch, 2 sides
Low Pak + punch, 2 sides
Tan + punch, 2 sides
Gan + punch, 2 sides
Man sao + low wu sao, 2 sides.

Then, we repeat these 10 techniques, followed by a front kick after each simulataneous block + strike.

Now, we pass directly into the double blocks, 10 repititions each:

Tan + Bon
Chom + Gan
Huen + Chom
Grab/pull low to dan tien + punch
Tan + pak

After these are complete, we repeat all the double blocks, 10 times each, each repetition followed by a front kick.

The drill, when complete, totals 60 kicks plus the hands techniques.

I feel that the essence of Wing Chun is captured well with this set. When you finish, you may repeat, substituting either the side kick or stomp kick for the front kick.

Next time you're near Chicago, partner, come by and I can show you this drill in just an hour or so. But, it is something where constant corrections will help your form. You don't want to ingrain bad habits.

All of the above work with a partner, as well. Additionally, this drill can be practiced, minus the kicking, in the "bracing step" in other words, moving forward or backward with each turn, thus marching up and down the room.

Another drill that can be practiced by yourself is the 5 kicks drill.
That's all I can tell you about that one.

Other favorites not requiring a partner: Link chain punches, and three arrow punches.

-FJ