PDA

View Full Version : Question for WC Guys!

Shadow Dragon
05-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Sorry, for posting this in the main forum.
But more people than jsut WC Guys might be interested in this.

For starters I don't practice WC, and thus got the following question.

In some Threads I read that the wooden dummy should be made to fit the measurements of the Students.

What is the specific reason for that?

Personally, I think a dummy that could be adjusted to simulate different opponents would be more beneficial.

Any feedback good or bad welcome.

Phenix_Eye
05-23-2002, 09:44 AM
If I had a dummy that was too low and my arms are going down. Its like training with some short guy for the rest of my life.

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 10:02 AM
SD: not too sure as i'm nowhere near the dummy level yet, but here's my '2 cents' :)

The dummy is used to train position, angle, posture, structure, footwork and sensitivity. Also it is a solid hunka wood so you can use as much power as you like (which is dangerous in chi sau).

Also the distance is important because through training you learn what is your natural 'fighting distance' ie. the distance you can be to easily hit your opponent and react/stay out of his way. I would hazard a guess and say that's maybe why the dummy is tailor made, to suit your distance and body type etc... but like i said i dunno (?)
Doing SLT you learn what the optimum posture is for each hand position (Tan, Fuk, Bong etc). It's different for everyone in use of course, as people vary in size, reach and everything else. But the dummy should be for you to train YOUR optimum position, and it can be applied in many different ways in chi sau. That's why chi sau is so important imo.

If i was guessing (like i am now) :D, that's why i would say it's individual specific.

Maybe some of the other more knoweledgeable WC people can explain better :)

david

fa_jing
05-23-2002, 10:16 AM
My first WC instructor had a great dummy. It was adjustable in height. The best is to find a dummy that can be set to three different heights so you can simulate a tall, medium, or short opponent. Also, you can train your stance higher, medium, and lower with this.

-FJ

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 10:18 AM
isn't that why you play chi sau and practise drills with as many people as you can? :confused:

david

Martial Joe
05-23-2002, 04:28 PM

Shadow Dragon
05-23-2002, 04:41 PM
Thanks, to everybody that replied.

Fa-Jing:
That sounds like a great dummy.

Thanks again.

Nichiren
05-24-2002, 01:57 AM
The "ordinary" WC dummy is of the type "live dummy". The dummy itselt is hung up on flexible boards and this makes it easy to adjust the dummy in many ways.

The opposite "dead dummy" is fixed into the floor/ground and don't move at all.

/Cheers....