PDA

View Full Version : Regional internal arts

scotty1
05-23-2002, 04:19 AM
Hello, I've not been on this board before, and I only have a very basic knowledge of the internal arts. I know Xingyi (linear?)
bagua (circular?) and taiji.

I have praticed external gongfu in the past and I am currently kickboxing, whilst continuing my Zhan Zhuang.

In October I will be moving to China for 6-12 months to teach English. I could be sent anywhere in the country, although because I initially only want to commit to a 6 month contract I will more likely be sent somewhere in the middle or north of the country.

While I am there I would like to train in some gongfu. If I am lucky enough to be in a region where wingchun is available I will train that. But if I am in a region where wingchun is not available to train I would like to experience an internal martial art.

What are the geographical regions of internal styles? Are they taught all over China? I would like to know what to look out for for whatever province I end up in.

Thanks for your time.

Kumkuat
05-23-2002, 04:57 AM
Beijing has some good stuff.

Henan province has Chen village, zhaobao village, and shaolin temple. Shanxi, Hebei, and other surrounding areas should have some flavours of Xingyi, but I don't know where. But Xi'an at Shanxi has the famous wushu institite which Chen QuanZhong teaches. Of course if you do want to train in one of those areas, life will be pretty harsh.

scotty1
05-23-2002, 05:46 AM
How do you mean? Is internal training harsh? Do you mean physically?

Kumkuat
05-23-2002, 07:41 AM
no, the living conditions. But I do think they have some nicer hotels or places where westerners can stay.

scotty1
05-23-2002, 08:28 AM
Oh that's cool. I'm being posted to a school with reasonable living conditions, and the school supplies an apartment for my gf and I.

Is it likely that I could find an internal MA wherever in China I was posted?

Kumkuat
05-23-2002, 11:23 AM
probably. But who knows how authentic it would be?

scotty1
05-24-2002, 12:38 AM
not me. I wouldn't know what to look for.

Wu-Xing
05-24-2002, 04:53 AM
cant help you with finding a place to learn but just so you know, xingyi is not linear.

Kumkuat
05-24-2002, 09:59 AM
http://geocities.com/panyouli/china-faq.htm

go there and there would be lots of info.

cherrypraxis
05-24-2002, 11:02 AM
"xing-yi is not linear"

at the same token, ba gua is not just "circular" either as not all styles favor the same movements nor do they have the same understanding of the said movements (if they are similar).

a word of warning: just because china is the mother of chinese MA doesn't mean that they have retained MA practice as it should be. due to the tumultuous political landscape in china, particularly this last century, a lot of MA and their combat applications have been lost or continue to get lost. most masters have either died out or refuse to teach consequently ending their lineage. others have migrated to other countries in search of a better life. as in your home country or anywhere else for that matter, be mindful of what you will be witnessing while in china. if you've had enough MA training, you'll know what to look for to find a good teacher.

good luck!