PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis?

GAZ
05-23-2002, 10:26 AM
I thought i'd try and start a little discussion (not an argument) about which form of Praying Mantis or any other martial art is the most devastating or effective in a real fight, any thoughts?

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 10:43 AM
lol Doesn't it depend son the practitioners skill level and experience more than the specific style? :)

david

GAZ
05-23-2002, 10:54 AM
dezhen2001: You are right but i thought it it would be interesting to hear what people think is the most devasting despite experience.

dezhen2001
05-23-2002, 11:13 AM
everyone will say the style they do, as no one would want to train in a style that they think is inferior :D

Of course, for me it's wing chun ;)

david

Maestro1700
05-23-2002, 02:34 PM
hey id like to know why you started the thread named praying mantis ;)

this is also the southern shaolin section of the forums but oh well ill respond..

i think sometimes people overuse the statement about a fighter makes a style great, a style doesnt make a fighter great..because some styles just are inferior to others..

and maybe i should start using the word system..because in cma there are many styles that can be mastered quickly, but there are complete systems which take years to master..like praying mantis

so even though i made the above statement, i do believe its the fighter that makes the style great not the style that makes the fighter..

but i think in this day and age..it really doesnt matter much as most people dont fight that much, so all the techniques etc really arent needed to defend yourself..i mean i think someone who trained in kickboxing for a couple years could confidently say theyd be able to defend themselves from most average attackers..because most real masters dont just go around attacking each other..so you dont need to be that skilled..unless your opponent has a gun then you die..

but, i will respond anyway to styles i think are some of the best in cma

choy lay fut
pak mei
taijijuan
praying mantis
hung gar
northern shaolin
wing chun
bagua

those actually are just some of my favorites..for one reason or another...

GAZ
05-24-2002, 01:44 AM
Maestro1700

"but i think in this day and age..it really doesnt matter much as most people dont fight that much,"

Maybe where you live people don't fight that much but here in London it is all to common.

mantis-1
05-24-2002, 04:15 AM
Well I don't know about you Gaz but I live in London and have rarely had a fight, maybe a bit of pushing and shoving and some verbal abuse. But other than that nothing, but I think that people who learn martial arts are more aware of threatening situations and know how to avoid a confrontation. When I have had trouble with people I have the restraint to be able to walk away, most of the people who I train with would do exactly the same. We do have people who join our class who just want to learn to fight. But these people soon give up when they realise that there is a lot of hard work before you can use the tecniques compatently and with power. But other than that London is a freindly place.

GAZ
05-24-2002, 04:32 AM
mantis1: I have had my fair share of fights. I will always try to walk away from a fight but you can't always walk away. I often have a tendency to stick up for the little guy which use to get me into a bit of trouble. I don't want to learn MA just to be able to kick the **** out of someone but to be able to defend myself if i was to get into a situation, but any way let's get back to the original discussion which MA d'you think is the most effective say... in a real fight?

NPMantis
06-20-2002, 01:38 PM
Hi,

You mentioned that you lived in London, I was wondering where you learn Mantis, I'm trying to find a southern school at the moment. Thanks a lot for your help!

Take care,

NPMantis

Fu-Pow
06-20-2002, 02:12 PM
Capoeira

Shadow Skill
03-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Well I would without a doubt say southern praying mantis is one of the most effictive and deadly systems, Because of their relentless attacking, lightning fast strikes and devastating power. Not to mention that's what I study lol.

PlumDragon
03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Being in the Southern Forum, I figured we were ONLY talking about styles of Southern Praying Mantis...And even then, its not so simple as "Southern Mantis":

Our Northern Mantis brethren are often noted for being among the largest system of martial arts in existence; with over 10 sub styles (7*, 8 step, wah lum, 6 harmonies, Tai Chi Praying Mantis, etc etc etc), each being large in comparison to many other systems, its no wonder. But the Southern Mantis crowd turns out to be not so small either...With 4 major substyles of southern mantis (jook lum, chu gar, chow gar, iron ox), there is a decently large amount of material there as well. Add in the fact that in southern mantis, even separate lineages can have drastically different material that is covered in the curriculum and this question you have asked now becomes somewhat...vexing...

I wont answer what I think is best because my answer wont be anymore surprising than anyone elses....But for those that do want to answer, if you could define the question a bit better...? Northern Vs Southern? Or are you pitting the southern styles against each other?

Wong Ying Home
03-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Check out sifu paul whitrod at www.paulwhitrod.co.uk. Probably the best southern mantis sifu in the uk. His skills in chow gar tong long are excellent

panthermantis
03-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. It's internal/external and very powerful. The style doesn't make the fighter, but if I take two individuals of equal size, strength, intelligence and guts---I will pick southern praying mantis by far.

Yum Cha
04-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Great first post Panthermantis.....

Perhaps you can tell us a little more about why you reckon your style is so superior? You know, elobarate a bit, don't be shy...

Did you learn it from the Green Grass Monk?

David Jamieson
04-02-2006, 06:41 PM
*releases tiger against shadowskill for ressurecting a 4 year old dead horse thread.*

style arguments are so 15 minutes ago.:rolleyes:

CFREW
04-03-2006, 04:18 PM
lol

ok this seems to me like its a northern vs southern thread, i think the question should be re phrased correctly for better understanding as it seems as though its being taken out of context,

oh an YES i do Chou Gar Tong Long Kune, an Lo Fu Do, southern Tiger form,
thats correct what panther said, SPM, is quite a well rounded CMA style,
using both internal/external.

Shadow Skill
04-08-2006, 05:02 PM
What the F*@k are you talking about I didn't even start this thread IDOT!

Shadow Skill
04-08-2006, 05:07 PM
I thought i'd try and start a little discussion (not an argument) about which form of Praying Mantis or any other martial art is the most devastating or effective in a real fight, any thoughts?
This was the original question. And my answer to this question to be more spacific is Jook Lum.

Mantis Fist
04-13-2006, 11:50 PM
For me its chow gar tong long only because thats what I practice but I have respect for most shaolin styles espcially, lung ying, hun gar, snake and pak mei

Mantis Fist
04-14-2006, 12:20 AM
I also think that if you know a whole internal system and start applying an external style like wing chun or hun gar you would be a very powerful fighter

BIGG S-MANTIS
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
i know i dont get on here and post that much but to argue about this is dumb...of course the person that would respon to this ? would say the system they practice is the most devastating one...as far as which is more effective, is said it b4 on here its not the style that u practice its the person that is applying it no how much skill they have its all about who the better person is on that day

jethro
04-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Capoeira

I was hoping you could expand on why this is the deadliest style. It would seem to me that a style that was developed as a dance would be less deadly because they were not practicing all the time, but then again it could be deadlier because of having to learn dance moves and then just doing kicks and actually fighting when it still seems like you are dancing.

I love to watch the style but a style like mantis just seems more applicable in real life, and when talking real life i would look up phil redmond's posts on the jail fighting thatseems pretty real. But it does depend on the user of the arts most of all. Maybe if I mentioned bruce lee's name in here peopel would rellay respond to this thread:p

Yum Cha
04-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I dunno....I've seen some pretty deadly Capoeira Chicks.....

;)

Sui
04-26-2006, 04:07 PM
man you still around?

the only master around from way back.lol

Capoeira chicks with d!ck.lol.-very deadly i heard too;)

this is how you drag "panthermantis" back in,old boy----

hey panthermantis

"but if I take two individuals of equal size, strength, intelligence and guts"

no way could you find this but hey take me and you-ok i've got a unfair advantage as in you've got more guts,intellegence,strength and more muscular.you do Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu and lets say i do girly wing chun.i would always bet on me.WHY i hear you cry,no way----however Grace with Finnese will always overcome your Power---the way or Tao.

no need to thank me or pay me that one was for free and now you have been enlightend,touched by purity-say hello to your mother for me will ya.

the one and only one, sui:)

Yum Cha
04-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Sui,
Grace and finness?

What, you haven't taken up MMA and Brazilian Ju Jitsu yet?! You know its the only path to martial greatness.....

Too bad for me, I'm just an old donkey that can't learn anything new....

Always nice to see you.

Sui
04-27-2006, 03:27 AM
i'm suprised yum.....

Grace finesse vs speed and power ----you diagree?lol at your age com'on lol

MMA and Brazilian Ju Jitsu yet--maybe good for comp fighting but has real weakness in realty,not whole rounded kf,in my opinion--you do?i'm sorry foryour loss of integrity.lol

only wiser with age my old master.......

very good to read you,i saw you made a real stir and became top dog in the southern fist--me,i showed up got banned for going against your old friend sethos the prostitute.hahahaha

Yum Cha
04-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Sui,
Since I have neither grace, finess, speed nor power, I wouldn't know enough to disagree. I have to rely on the fact that I'm just plain uglier than the other guys, and don't mind getting messed up, where all those pretty boys generally do.

Don't you know about Ugly-fu?

My old friend Cheetos, yea, not as bad as some. Way too proud, but he does have some knowledge. I suspect in his head as opposed to his hands. But you know, in these newsgroups, you never can tell.... It never pays to take anything seriously, as you taught me years ago Si hing.

Hows your apple farm? I'm coming to California next month, going on a tour of the states. Thought I'd stop in Colorado find out what I could about Futsan Pak Mei...

viper
04-27-2006, 10:34 PM
I practice wing chun and bjj and a lil tai chi. I think if you practice enough at anything youll get good at it maybe not awesome. Remember alot of people who fight also dont have any martial arts training it depends on attributes the fight of the person the mental attitude. If there was one system that was the best wed all do it but there aint so really does it matter what system is the most devastating? ,they all do somthing so umm yeh.

Sui
04-28-2006, 02:42 AM
"Sui,
Since I have neither grace, finess, speed nor power, "

----i'm sure you don't-liar

"Don't you know about Ugly-fu?"

----yes,md does it.lol

My old friend Cheetos, yea, not as bad as some. Way too proud, but he does have some knowledge. I suspect in his head as opposed to his hands. But you know, in these newsgroups, you never can tell.... It never pays to take anything seriously, as you taught me years ago Si hing.

-----true you never can tell,however i bet i could,around 98% sure i'd be,just like this viper thats just come on--load of cr@p to justify whats written.lol

Hows your apple farm? I'm coming to California next month, going on a tour of the states. Thought I'd stop in Colorado find out what I could about Futsan Pak Mei...

---i have many apples yum-but no farm-these are natural from the wild-presents wich i share to those who aren't afraid of d@mnation but know the truth of temptation.
your trip sounds intresting enough,look at the grass and tell me how you feel?

X-Warrior
04-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Oh yeah, the age old question argued for hundreds of years: which style is the better one?

None! Like most advanced martial artists know style isn't the determining factor. It helps to know a well developed style but it largely depends on how skilled your instructor is, how talented you are, how much do you practice, how much do you spar (or try your skills in a more realistic combat).

And to answer which form is more effective? Usually the higher the form the more effective it is. If you reach a third level form in mantis it is the same effective as a third level Wing Chun or other styles' form. There is no such thing as a style being the determining factor.

And with that, I was just browsing on the Karate styles and particularly interesting the Kyokushinkai Karate. These guys train for real and fight for real. They use no protective gear and fight full contact. The results? Check this out: click on the link below and scroll down to the third picture to see the recent Russian champion Sergey Denisow (note the site is in Dutch). I have respect for these guys cause they show what they know: http://www.kamakura.demon.nl/

Sui
04-30-2006, 05:17 AM
xw fallen for the trap-feel the question don't read it as who will win in combat,silly.lol my god one born a second.lol

"If you reach a third level form in mantis it is the same effective as a third level Wing Chun or other styles' form"
hahahahahaha you silly sosage

"I have respect for these guys cause they show what they know:"
you respect out of fear,silly sosage again.lol who's that silly to practice m'a to go through that,silly again.lol not intelligent,i guess you answer all question with integrity,don't you?

lol.

X-Warrior
05-01-2006, 06:30 PM
xw fallen for the trap-feel the question don't read it as who will win in combat,silly.lol my god one born a second.lol

"If you reach a third level form in mantis it is the same effective as a third level Wing Chun or other styles' form"
hahahahahaha you silly sosage

"I have respect for these guys cause they show what they know:"
you respect out of fear,silly sosage again.lol who's that silly to practice m'a to go through that,silly again.lol not intelligent,i guess you answer all question with integrity,don't you?

lol.

Bahhhahhhhahhhaaaahhhaahahhhaa. Looks like the mentally handicapped have escaped from the local hospital. How sad. :(

-X-

Sui
05-02-2006, 01:39 AM
again showing how great your m'a is.lol its even more terrible to be out witted by a "mentally handicapped have escaped from the local hospital"yet i feel no sadness only laughter at silly sosage for the sheer talent that he shows his master.lolhahahahalol