PDA

View Full Version : Full Contact Sport Fight Rules!!!

Merryprankster
05-23-2002, 11:51 AM
Ok,

Here's a thought: An awful lot of discussion does take place on here about the rules of sportfighting.

What I DON'T want to get into is the ring is not the street type arguments--after all, neither is the training hall, so that's not especially productive at best.

I want to find out what everybody thinks is an acceptable set of rules for a full contact bout between two individuals, that doesn't cater to one particular style or way of fighting--should there be weight classes, etc?

I personally think they should do it like a lot of BJJ tournaments--there's the weight divisions and also an "absolute" where you compete regardless of weight and skill level.

What techniques should be illegal? At a minimum, I believe that eye-gouging, biting and fish-hooking should be illegal. Mouthpieces and cups should be mandatory.

Should certain clothing be mandatory? After all, you aren't running around in a pair of speedos most of the time.

How can we set an event up that, to the best of our ability, disadvantages nobody in a dueling format?

Cyborg
05-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Good question. Maybe we could agree on some rules and then have a KFO tournament/get together!

I agree with your rules so far and would also ban groin shots and finger locks.

Perhaps 3 weight classes. Up to 150, 150-200 and 200 up? I have fought a guy 45 lbs. heavier so I know it can be done yet more than that would prob. not work. I do like the open category idea though.

As to clothes I've seen guys whip off their shirt before a fight but they never do that with their jeans... :D maybe you've got something there.

ewallace
05-23-2002, 12:34 PM
I'd like to see people go at it with:

Rules:
No age classes (must be 18 or older)
No weight classes
No gender classes
All styles are acceptable
Styles may NOT be disclosed before the date of the event.
No throat or groin strikes. Everything else legal.
Finger-less gloves madatory.
Cup and/or sportsbra optional.
Mouthpiece optional.

Men's attire:
Button down or polo shirt.
Dress shoes or loafers. No sandels or flip-flops.

Women's attire:
Work-appropriate blouse w/ knee-length skirt or a knee-length one-piece dress.
High heels or pumps.

Chang Style Novice
05-23-2002, 12:40 PM
In the interests of realism, I think required clothing should include a cowl with bat ears and half-face mask, serrated cape, utility belt, leotard, underwear on the outside, and boots.

Possible alternatives:

Shredded purple trousers, no shoes, socks or shirt.
Black white and red leotards with a high collar and hundreds of yards of chain.
Knee high boots, leather vest with enormous brass buttons, winged helmet, wrist straps, and a ballpeen hammer.

:D :D :D

on edit -

Yes, I know I'm a big dufus.

red5angel
05-23-2002, 12:55 PM
no gouging, no fish-hooking, no groin shots, everything else should be legal. common sense really, no lethal or maiming techniques you cant control.

red5angel
05-23-2002, 12:57 PM
Also, did I mention I will fight if peoples MOMS are fighting?

DragonzRage
05-23-2002, 12:58 PM
I think any technique should be allowed, but not foul tactics (biting, eye gouging, fish hooking and groin attacks). Kicking and kneeing a downed opponent's head should be allowed. Elbows should be allowed. Headbutting should be allowed up to a point...repeated headbutting while on the ground should not be allowed. Inactive stalling tactics such as pushing an opponent against the fence and laying on him should not be allowed. By the same token, points should also be deducted for being overly defensive and inactive while standing. Stalemates and inactivity on the ground should be stood up after 2 minutes or so. Clothing should not be restricted. Fighters should be able to wear whatever they like, but if a fighter is gonna kick a lot, certain types of shoes should be restricted. There should be weight classes, but an open class as well. I also think that the harbinger style gloves should be optional. As for the environment, I personally prefer ring over cage, but that's just me...arguments can be made for either side.

This, my friends, would be a good event!

Qi dup
05-23-2002, 01:28 PM
I don't really think clothes should be to much of an issue. I say just let people where pretty much whatever they want to. Soon enough people will see that only certain thing are going to work. I'd probably just go with boxing style shorts.

DragonzRage
05-23-2002, 01:32 PM
I'd fight in a Boba Fett costume!

Merryprankster
05-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Good ideas, I think-- keep em coming!

ewallace--do you really think no gender divisions is a fair idea? Or are we gearing the tournament to find out "who's the best, PERIOD?"

Just curious :)

Ish
05-24-2002, 04:31 AM
id fight with spiked running shoes on

ewallace
05-24-2002, 07:14 AM
do you really think no gender divisions is a fair idea? Or are we gearing the tournament to find out "who's the best, PERIOD?"
Yes and Yes. Remember the Tushka Itishe thread where Jas got really ****ed off about the comments that were made (interpreted) about the "need" for a separate women's division? I would like to see a "competition" where all participants start off equal. It wouldn't matter what sex, race or style you practice. At the end there would be NO excuses. The rules would not geared towards striking or grappling. The best fighter wins. Period.

Merryprankster
05-24-2002, 07:22 AM
ewallace--

I agree and disagree with what you are saying. In PRINCIPLE, I agree with it. The problem that I have is in a full contact fighting event, the bottom line is that most women are less resiliant than most men--in other words they can't take as much punishment--a shot that might knock me out might cause real injury to a woman. So now it becomes a safety issue--or am I making this up?

It's not an issue of sexism--it's an issue of recognizing that there are real physical differences between the sexes and acting appropriately.

And I remember Jas' annoyance. I put up some links to world records in different Olympic events as a friendly reminder that hey, we really ARE different.

But trust me, I agree with it in principle. What if we had a seperate women's division, but also an Open that did not "discriminate," between the sexes as well as weight?

ewallace
05-24-2002, 07:39 AM
I don't think the whole tournament should be like that. It is also only a theory. It probably would never happen. I think there should be an "Open" division that would have no weight, gender or style limitations.

I agree it's not an issue of sexism. I didn't want to play league baseball as a kid with females on either team. It was never a question of whether or not they were good enough, they were. There is just something about boys wanting to play against other boys. It isn't an issue of superiority.

On the other side of the argument I do think that many male fighters would be hesitant to strike a female fighter. I believe that would last until the first time the male fighter was hit and relized if he doesn't hit back he'll get his ass handed to him. That could definitely be to the women's advantage.

Merryprankster
05-24-2002, 08:02 AM
ewallace--

you hit that square on the head--if you're woman enough to hit me, you'd better be woman enough to take it, because I'm going to beat you senseless. Not in real life--in real life, in ANY situation, I'd use a minimum amount of force necessary to accomplish the job--and that might be restraint but in a ring--the point is to win, not to create an opportunity to escape---and that might mean a beat down.

Yeah?

ewallace
05-24-2002, 08:18 AM
Taken from a song I heard as a child in church....

Red or yellow, black or white, they are equal in a fight.

beautifulvaley
05-24-2002, 08:31 AM
who here would actually fight in a kfo[only][ug] fight tournament
I think this could easily be set up by a promoter and would be sweet . then we could see who can actually use their art in the ring.

enough with the keyboard wars

I think the buy out for this would be huge

ewallace
05-24-2002, 08:44 AM
There would definitely have to be a "royal rumble" type match too to see if styles that claim to successfully defend against multiple attackers really can.