PDA

View Full Version : Internal MA in Mass

iron mantis
05-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Are there any practicioners of ba gua or other internal arts in the western Mass region? i train in external kung fu and I would like to experience the internal side of things. Any help would be much appreciated.

I.M.

PLCrane
05-26-2002, 08:02 AM
I've heard that there's an old Chinese man who teaches bagua (and more) in Pittsfield, but I don't know his name. If you can't find him easily, let me know, and I'll get in touch with someone who knows. Or, you might check with the folks at the Hoosick Falls (NY) Kung Fu Club (not certain if that's the current name) and I think they can tell you.

TaoBoxer
05-27-2002, 09:34 AM
I am Very Interested in the Bagua guy. You're not talking about Kwan Saihung are you?

There is a Xie Pei Qi Yin Fu style Ba Gua group in North Hampton Mass. Thats in the Springfield area, i guess.

TaoBoxer
05-28-2002, 06:29 AM
I tried to Email you but it said yours is Private. How can I get a hold of you??

Bill

Walter Joyce
05-28-2002, 08:06 AM
I am also interested as I have been told that this same ba gua master comes to Boston every Sunday and teaches free on the common. While North Hampton is near Springfield, it is probably closer to Amherst. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are some chen stylists in the area. If I could get any information, as I study ba gua. Also, let me know if I can be of any help.
Walter

PLCrane
05-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Yes, it's Kwan Saihung in Lenox, and yes, he does teach on the Boston Common on Sunday mornings. If you want more info, you can contact paifamily@empireone.net (Hoosick Falls Kung Fu Center)

TaoBoxer, let me know if you got my email or not.

Walter Joyce
05-29-2002, 06:41 AM
PLCrane
Thank you very much, I have been trying to find out definitive info on him for months now.
Good training,
Walter

TaoBoxer
05-29-2002, 04:51 PM
I'd love to get down with some of that.......

Le nOObi
05-29-2002, 05:38 PM
There is kay chi leung in cambridge mass who is a disciple of liu yun chiao he runs the jiann shyong kung fu club

Walter Joyce
05-30-2002, 06:42 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't kay chi leung a linegae disciple in baji as well? I have been interested in him off and on for years, but from what I have been told by some of his students, he is very reluctant to teach anything beyond external movement or forms, i.e., no nei jia skills. While I respect his knowledge, and do not question his judgment as to who and what he will teach, life is too short to wait around for benediction and acceptance.
Good training,
Walter

Le nOObi
05-30-2002, 04:05 PM
Yes he is also a lineage disciple in baji and also in pikua zhang and if liu yun chiao he also learned mi-tsung from liu yun chiao. You description of kay chi leung is also fair.

InternalMovment
05-30-2002, 05:53 PM
I actuly live in AMherst MA, and train in Ba Gua Zhang, a chinese internal martial art. It's very different from other styles

InternalMovment
05-30-2002, 05:56 PM
I train in NoHo Mass, with Danny. North Hampton is about 30 mins from boston. He Jin Bao is coming over from china in the next few weeks. He is the best MAist I've ever seen. And I've seen quite a few. If anyones intrested, get a hold of me.

TaoBoxer
05-30-2002, 06:16 PM
train with whom?

TaoBoxer
05-30-2002, 06:17 PM
I'm interested....hook me up.....

Walter Joyce
06-03-2002, 06:34 AM
I would like to be in the car that makes it to North Hampton from Boston in 30 minutes, especially every time I drive out to Amherst to pick up my son from college. :)
I also train in ba gua(as well as tai chi), and I'm curious how you would differentiate it from the other internals. And also if you see any similarities.
Walter

TaoBoxer
06-03-2002, 07:09 AM
You train there, right walter?? I am getting ready to start, I think..... I need to check out some Ba Gua on the south shore first though......

Walter Joyce
06-03-2002, 07:14 AM
I train in Boston (tai chi) and Plymouth (South shore, ba gua and nei gung). If you are interested in either location, let me know.

TaoBoxer
06-03-2002, 02:27 PM
Who do you do taiji with in Boston?

Do you train with Buddy Tripp in Plymouth? I have been talking to him and I want to get down there this weekend. I also heard Lo Dexiu is coming over the summer. Is that true??

Bill

BAI HE
06-04-2002, 04:15 AM
Who is Buddy Tripp?
Plymouth is a few towns over from me!
What does he teach?

Walter Joyce
06-04-2002, 06:30 AM
I train with Gin Soon Chu and his sons Fong and Gordon in classical Yang tai chi in Boston, and yes, Buddy Tripp in Plymouth. Buddy intriduced me to internal training in 1998. Buddy teaches gao ba gua, nei gung, and penjat silat. He used to teach tai chi (Wu) and hsing I as well, but there are only so many hours ina day. Luo is coming, he will be here for 6 days, beginning the 11th of July, I believe. Buddy can give you the details, but he has an ambitious program planned.
Good training,
Walter

TaoBoxer
06-09-2002, 05:41 PM
I went to Mr. Tripp's class last saturday and I was impressed. Seems like quality stuff.

BAI HE
06-10-2002, 06:03 AM
I'm probably going to check them out around
July 1st or so. Are you going to start studying there?

Walter Joyce
06-10-2002, 07:18 AM
TaO Boxer and Bai He
I will be attending Buddy's classes once a month, I hope to see you there.
Walter

BAI HE
06-10-2002, 07:54 AM
Walter,
Mr. Tripp has yet to respond to my
e-mail. Can you tell me what the class
schedule is?

Thanks, Peter

Walter Joyce
06-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Peter,
Ba gua/internal 9- 10:30, penjat silat, 10:30 - 12:00 on Saturdays.
Walter

BAI HE
06-10-2002, 09:00 AM
Thanks Walter. I hope to see you and TaoBoxer soon.

TaoBoxer
06-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Hey...... The classes were great. I'll be in twice a month. Mr. Tripp emailed me back each time I contacted him, but it took a few days. Be patient.

Bill

BAI HE
06-10-2002, 05:58 PM
I shall be patient, but I'm ready to jump out of my shorts here!
I can't wait to get going, I've been inactive for a bit.
I'm off to Vegas (first time) the 16th - 22nd.
You'll see me soon after that.
I look forwad to meeting you both as well as Mr. Tripp.

Sincerely, Peter.

phil
06-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Hi all,

I hope I didn't enter the conversation too late but I just wanted to mention that in regards to internal martial arts training, I've had good expereinces with the following people:
Instructor Henry Oliveras teaches out of the Charles River Shiatsu School in Arlington, MA. His background is mostly Tai Chi, but he places a strong emphasis on 2 man drills, applications, structure, proper body mechanics and basic conditioning. He also teaches qigong for health and personal relaxation but this outside the tai chi classes that I mentioned above. He is a very personable guy and very interested in your martial arts growth. He can be reached at 508-791-6298. The number for Charles River School of Shiatsu is 781-643-1545

There is also an instructor who teaches baji/pigua out in Newton on Saturday mornings, 7-9 am. The meeting place is the outdoor athletic field at Newton High off of Lowell and Hull Streets. He emphasizes a lot of basic conditioning, exercises specific for baji/pigua, and forms. He also covers usage. Be prepared to work.

Finally, there's a group that meets on Wednesday nights, for the expressed purpose of pushing hands for 2 hrs. That meets at this Episcopalean church in Brookline, MA. Maybe Walter is familiar with these people. The cool thing is that there were people from all different martial arts backgrounds, many with a lot of skill. I met quite a few people from Gin Soon's Tai Chi school there as well as people who had trained with Kumar Frantzis. I also met people there who had trained with Buddy and praise his teaching methods. I believe they used the word, "insane!", but meant it in a good way.

Mass. is interesting in the sense that there is a definite martial arts scene there, but it is kind of underground. My advice is to just get out there, talk to as many people as you can. This includes herbalists, acupuncturists, etc. If you see people practicing something in the park, go up and talk to them (after they finished whatever they're doing of course). I've met quite a few good people this way.

Good luck in your martial arts quest. I also hope to attend Luo Dexiu's seminars next month so i hope to catch you guys there.

Take care,
Phil

TaoBoxer
06-11-2002, 04:03 PM
I worked with that push hands group...they are good people. My only problem is I work a 12 hr day on most wednesdays. I got a buddy who does Bak Mei who trains with them from time to time. He brought me by. Speaking of which, he trains in a totally below-the-radar group as well.

Mr. Tripp is the only person so far I am interested in working with regularly. Gin Soon Tai Chi looks great, to be sure..... I just am more on the Ba Gua tip these days, and any Silat that has de Thours in the title is ok by me.

The thing that impressed me the most was that the firs 35 minutes of class was Zhuan Zhang..... It's boring...it hurts.... and it's NESCESSARY!!!

Anything that makes karate guys go "stoopid kung foo" and chases away dillatants is fine by me.

Walter Joyce
06-13-2002, 08:08 AM
TB and BH
Just a quck tip, Buddy prefers to be called Buddy. While he is a truly dedicated martial artist and teacher, he prefers the informal. (This coming from a guy who has lost the ability to write informally, me.)
While I did share info on my teachers, it was just an offering, not an advertisment. I know my self that the internal journey is a very personal one, and what works for me may not work for others. I am looking forward to meeting both of you at one of Buddy's classes, or at Luo's upcoming seminars.
FYI, Mike Sigman is coming to Boston also. I've posted it a couple of places, but check out this website if you are interested.

www.mit.edu/people/ras/mike2002.html

There are also rumblings of Wang Hai Jun coming to Springfield for you chen stylists.
Good training,
Walter

Buddy Tripp
06-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi All,
First of all, thank you for the kind words (insane?). My skills are fairly meager but I have am fortunate to have had great teachers.
Any and all are welcome to visit our little group in Plymouth as well as the workshops we are planning for Luo Laoshi. They will be held at the Shiatsu school where Henry works. I've not met him but he seems like a good bloke. As well Bapak Victor deThouars will be back here in September.
Regarding formality, it is alright but if you meet me just call me Buddy. Titles are given by others, not ones self IMO.

Cheers,
Buddy

PS I should mention I do accept a small number of private students as well.