PDA

View Full Version : How Do These Wing Chun San Sik from different Wing Chun Compare to each Other

FIRE HAWK
05-23-2002, 08:41 PM
http://www.wingchunkuen.com/archives/forms/index.shtml

reneritchie
05-24-2002, 07:27 AM
All basic points (dim) tend to be similar, though sometimes the flavor will differ, while choreography will vary less or more with complexity (simple movements will be more similiar, while longer links of movements will be more different).

Firehawk - what exactly are you trying to find out? You post many questions along these lines, and many questions on other branches in general, and while they may generate a point here or there, it seems to be they'll be nowhere near as productive as an actual conversation about what it is you're looking for or trying to find out.

Rgds,

RR

Jim Roselando
05-24-2002, 11:46 AM
Fire Hawk,

This is a quote from Leung Jan from when his students (Wong Wah Sam, Yik Ying, Leung Bak Chung) asked what the difference was between their WC and the WC outside of Koo Lo;

The Wing Chun outside of Koo Lo is the Jing Sun (straight body) "facing" style which is taught in 3 parts, Siu Lin Tau, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee. The Wing Chun of our village is the Pin Sun Wing Chun (side body) style. The hand methods are taught in one part but differ very little from the "facing" style, and are really from the same family. The pole methods of the "facing" style is the Luk Dim Boon Gwun but in our village it is the Som Dim Boon Gwun.

That might help a bit.

Regards,

FIRE HAWK
05-24-2002, 08:21 PM
I like the Wing Chun San Sik versions alot i just wonder how they relate to each other in terms of history and techniques and concepts and princeples and how the names of the techniques relate to each other .

FIRE HAWK
05-24-2002, 08:25 PM
Is the Cheung Bo San Sik Wing Chun in your book considered sidebody Wing Chun or straight body Wing Chun ?

reneritchie
05-25-2002, 09:25 AM
Firehawk,

They're all similar since they all contain (because they come from) the core points of the system. To Lo (routines like Siu Nim Tao) are long links of core points while San Sik are just shorter links. It's like reading 26 dictionaries, one on each letter, rather than a larger collected volume. At the end, you still have the same information.

Side (Pien San) and Face (Jing San) are just elements. All classic WCK has both. Personally, I tend to think the larger individuals (Cheung Bo, Fung Liem, and others were either quite muscular or stocky) had a harder time with the facing methods (which thinner folk like Yuen Kay-San, Ng Jung-So and others could excel at), and so favored the flanking method. It's typically Chinese not to take credit for any innovations, so its always back-dated to a famed ancestor, wandering sage, mythic character, etc., and labels are then applied.

A good teacher teaches all the core elements and strategies because no matter what their preference (based on their own good and not so good points), they realize their students may be different and have a different set of requirements.

Rgds,

RR

Jim Roselando
05-26-2002, 08:17 AM
Hey Rene,

While Fung Lim was a popular name in the Pin Sun Wing Chun art he was not regarded as one of the very good people. According to the Fung's in Boston! The art was not designed by him and is very compact in nature still maintaining the Mai/Chum Jarn focus that all WCK should have. Leung Jan was a small man and I was told if anyone ever saw him they would have no idea he was such a dynamic person. He had a gentlemans appearance. Wong Wah Sam was also very small. Only about 5' tall! So, the quick turns and side preference was not because of Fung Lim but the focus of the founder. I cannot answer about Cheung Bo but know for sure that our art is most similar in structure to Yuen's boxing which it should be as they are from the same lineage. :-)

All WC has Jing Sun and Pin Sun but Pin Sun was just the emphacis of Leung Jan's teaching. He did say while they were similar, and from the same family, the hands differ very little! He was older and he would not be able to teach his new group to fight the nose to nose methods of his original art as well as he did in Futshan. Knowing the time and training it would take to build people he chose to teach/develop a slightly different approach based on his experiences. I tend to believe it was because most arts when they attack will charge straight in so having this experience he prepared them for what would most likely happened but also gave them the core of the straight body since there will times for usage of that. When we learn this art we actually learn the Jing Sun basics before moving onto the PS. The maxim states;

Power in the middle, Attack the side
Weak middle, Attack the center

Hope that helps,

:)