PDA

View Full Version : Australian MA schools!!! Important question!!!

friday
05-24-2002, 04:22 AM
hi everyone in Australia

this is just a question i would like to ask Kung fu schools that are currently operating in Australia.

whats your training like in Australia. outline a typical training day, do u incorporate sparring as part of it, how many times does sparring happen?, wat are your favourite things about the way your school trains and why.

mmmm basically just the structure of your training, wat u learn, the time period etc...

anyway i'm sure u all get the idea now

regards,

Friday

friday
05-24-2002, 04:49 PM
lol comn ppl surely there are kung fu schools in australia that train?? and can enlighten me on what kind of training etc u do ,sparring etc...

Ka
05-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Every morning 530 to 7am Qigong/form/wake ups/circle walking(can't think of a better word) in my local park with one other friend who lives close.
Once a week with a teacher,rolling hands and other listening sensitivity work to begin with,concertration on partner work,focusing on fluid variations of the original technique.starts off slow and soft build to fast and hard and deliberate.
Sparing ,3 people in the class have a large focus on the fighting side,and so train for this with differing formats/1 street senarios(involing role taking eg I'm a drunk dude or I'm a kick boxer etc)2 ring fighting theory(focus on evasion techniques within ring fighting rules eg what you can actually get away with without being diqualified)3Theory and practise of the effect of Psychological and enviromental influences(all the other $hit including the law that comes into play in the real world)

Areobic training is part of some other hobbies,which I would place on the same level as my MA

I should point out that I am not an instructor,and the group I play with is more a informal collection of MMA you all like and respect this one very informal instructor.

Personally maybe due to my family or for what ever reason I find myself less and less interested in Fighting.I no longer have any interest in Comps.I have no fear or love for conflict situations but know that I can confidently control any I may encounter.

As you can see I am far from a Hard Core MA but find that my parctise is an important part of my daily life.

Friday I think many have not answered quickly as many schools are large(in the MA sense) commerical operations that are happy to have people walk in and ask lots of questions.

Taone
05-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Rick Spain's Wing Chun Kung Fu Organisation is in Sydney.

I think Anerlich would know about that one if you post on the Wing Chun forum.
If not, I can get you a website at least.

dedalus
05-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Just wondering why this question is important?

friday
05-26-2002, 12:20 AM
with all this recent talk about san shou in australia i thought i might check out how many kung fu schools actually incorporate sparring in their training. while i was at it i wanted to see what other things they do.

in terms of importance...hehe that was just for marketing purposes, it was important...uhh for me :)

next time i could try "totally irrelevant and boring" as my thread title hehe. actually i might find more people will look at that instead :)

friday

jon
05-26-2002, 12:45 AM
Hi friday
Tried to send you a pm a few days back but your inbox was full.

You have visted us before so im sure you have a rough idea of how we do things but ill join in anyway.

The class is semi informal meaning that you show up basicaly when you like and leave when you like. You show up, warm yourself up and then start into whatever it is your working on.
Sifu will then come around and correct or offer you new movements depending on his mood and your progress.
Some lessons he hardly says a word to me and i just practice by myself, other lessons im fighting to keep up with all of the information he is giving me.
This is slightly different for different students and those of us who have been around the cma for a while he teaches differently to raw beguiners.
Sparring is done formaly in a gym once a week with several different practioners and is done to either san shao rules or rules made up by the practioners prior to fighting (gentlemans contract style).
We also do a 'little' sparring in class although due to a lack of insurence i know my sifu gets nervous so we tend to keep it soft.

My old Hung class was more a formal affair, although i also trained extensively privately.
LONG warm up and strength building leading into basics and stance training and then into two man work and application practice. We would then finish the class by either going though forms or by breaking up to work on our own things.
Sparring in Hung Ga was not really done though i did once TRY to spar my sifu. I found out fast that Hung doesnt lend itself well to sparring its simply WAY to hard in terms of mindset.
Still it CAN be done though it certainly wasnt easy.

Andoi (may have misspelled that sorry) was also asking on the other thread about how Bak Hok might be addpated to ring combat.
I told you personaly yourself before that although its DARN effective on the street you would have to change some things a fair wack i think.
Still your basics you may well get away quite well with. The uppercut i certainly cant see a problem with but the overhead i dont 'think' would be legal. Still i definately think you guys could not only addapt but proberly actualy do very well in San Shao. I would be happy to get you guys a copy of all the international rules and regs if your interested?

Anyway hope your well and uni is not being to much of a stress.
Give us a call when you get some time and we can go for Yum Cha:D
All the best
Jon

jon
05-26-2002, 01:03 AM
This isnt really related but it kinda inspired me and although im VERY science based in terms of my practice this has ALWAYS managed to compleatly baffle me:(
You remember i said i had 'tried' to spar my Hung instructor? Here is the actual story:)

I had just finished the Lau Ga fist set which is the first full hand form in the style and was ready to move on. Part of this same training was iron fist and heavy application work.
My sifu made the comment in his usual VERY direct way that whilst my form 'looked' alright he has serious reservations about my strength and ablity to transfer my force. Being a stupid hothead and also feeling insulted instead of thankfull at my sifus honest apprasial i asked him if we could spar a little and i could try some of it out. My intension was simply to prove i could defend myself reasonably and attack if needed, unknown to my sifu i had been sparring friends for a couple of months and i thought i was actualy pretty decent.
My sifu gave me an odd look out of the corner of his eye then agreed in a flash. This strait away struck me as odd as i was half expecting him to say no for some reason.
He told me to defend myself and he would use simple movements and go 'easy' i told him to go ahead and struck up a stance (first mistake).
The strangest thing ive EVER had happen proceded next.
He attacked me using the most rediculously basic movements i had ever been encounted with, im talking reverse punches and overhead chops and such.
The strange thing was dispite being able to move fine i COULDNT block his movements. They would simply crash happily strait though any defence i had put up and land happily with a resounding thud on my body.
This was not the odd part, i lasted about 8 seconds before my sifu surgested i started actualy trying to attack as i was getting pounded badly. I responed by kicking him with a front kick which bounced strait off him leaving a dirty footprint on his shirt but not even stopping his motion.
Not even 10-15 seconds into the 'match' and without having landed one effective hit or even properly defending a single one of his strikes i collapsed in a heap on the floor, compleatly exhausted. The whole match i had felt this compelling urge to simply give up and before long i had circumed to it. It was the strangest feeling and one i DONT care to repeat. I felt totaly helpless and like in a bad dream felt totaly powerless as well. I at first couldnt even stand to my feet.
After a minute or so i got most of my strength back and asked my sifu what on earth had happend and appologised to him for my poor performace.
What he said next shocked me and changed the whole way i look at combat.
Paraphrased
'you actualy supprised me when you kicked me, i had not expected you to get in at all. That was my fault...
The truth is my INTENT is WAY more developed than yours, i simply WONT go down and i KNOW i can beat you. Hence all i have to do follow my own lead. You on the other hand are technicaly not bad but lack power and proper focuss. You cant win if you dont understand how to see what you need to do'.
He then of course told me that next time it might be wise to rethink challenging someone obviously my senior even if only in the spirit of learning.

I still to this day dont understand everything that happend that day but the one thing that REALLY bugs me is that he managed to somehow compleatly remove everything i had and lay it all there for me to weap over.

My Hung sifu will always have my undying respect, he built my base and he is responsible for making me who i am today. When i finish my current training i would like nothing more than to finish his.

This is the closest ive yet seen to so called 'empty force'.

ged
05-26-2002, 05:03 AM
hehe, cool story. i just have one problem.

'He then of course told me that next time it might be wise to rethink challenging someone obviously my senior even if only in the spirit of learning. '

bugger that. from your story, you didnt 'challenge him' you asked him to spar so you could test out your knowledge. and it was definitely in the spirit of learning - look how much you realise now, after its been done. looks to me like youve taken a huge step, ie, you did the right thing :) so yeah, challenge every senior you see, hehe.

ive always wanted to approach a senior/disi heng/sifu and ask to do some sparring, just so i can get a better understanding of what i need to work on. but its because im afraid of them thinking like your sifu thought thats held me back.

oh well. glad to hear you're moving along.

pak_hok
05-27-2002, 08:43 PM
There this guy at my Tafe who does Pak Hok pai in chinatown or cabramatta (although he hasn't told me i can tell by his fighting style) and he's very interested in doing san sou he's sparred with lots of people i've seen him knockout a tae kwon do guy, a karate guy and a kickboxing guy not all with ease of course but he did come through in the end, man i've felt his punch and he punches as hard as anything, he also likes to watch the ufc and pride alot he's the type of guy who loves competition he use to do these underground competition full contact fighting gatherings in sydney where all the schools from different styles would come and test each others skills (in secret of course) and he has done pretty well in them.
Basically i am just telling you this because i believe he'll make a great san sou fighter he needs to lose some wieght but man with a punch like his he'll be a worhty opponent for any one, if at all friday or Jon you guys could give me some info on san sou competition in Australia like where to register to enter and all that type of stuff it would be greatly appreciated he list his style as freestyle fighting but i know for sure he does pak hok, i would pass it on to him because he has told a few guys that he would like to enter these type of competition sorry for interupting you guys and every thing but if you could just give me some info on san sou competition in aus it would be once again be greatly appreciated

fiercest tiger
05-27-2002, 11:57 PM
i Well in my class i start with warm ups and stretching then into pad work , kicking, punching combos for each level for students.

Then arm conditioning, stances, self defence, stances , forms, sparring is a little trick as some students arent good enough and work on techniques against this and that, some on kinematics, some one kicking , punch, trapping, grappling. some dont do sparring as they get hurt some arent fighter some are.

my classes are 3 hrs long! I dont get them sparring all the time but i do have some that are interested to train up for comps so i need to know the deal with jon and the san shou. But he isnt talking to me...:( i still love you jon:)

also every night is different cause i have alot to teach per level and they need to learn this so i might be teaching one thing sometimes to they get it right!

anyways i hope this helps?

garry

jon
05-28-2002, 04:27 AM
fiercest tiger
hehe dude i promice as soon as i get some solid information i will be sure to make you the first person i notify.
At the moment im still waiting on more details myself and the launguage barrior doesnt make it any easyer.
I can at least maybe give you a copy of the rules and referee actions so that you can start to get yourself prepared and have an idea of what to aim towards if thats of some use?
Regarding the actual comps though i will have to find out more myself.

guohuen
05-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Great story Jon. Did you feel weak and alittle cold? Was your stomach and bowels a little upset? Did your mind tell you that any further action was futile? Were you dissorianted and a little confused for a few hours afterwards? If so this would be the closest thing to Lin Gong Jing that I have experienced also.

fiercest tiger
05-28-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks mate, that would be good if you can forward me some info.

cheers
Garry

how often are you training with your hung gar teacher to your taiji teacher now?

curtis
05-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi guys
I am not from the down under but I know someone who is, his name is Doug Tritton, he is a master instructor in a few arts,but the one i like best is his WingChunDo.
Its a no frills self defence program, created by James DeMile(one of Bruce Lees orignal students)
if you like you can contact him at, tritton@powerup.com.au.
Good luck in your training.
C.A.G.

joedoe
05-28-2002, 07:30 PM
WingChunDo?

prana
05-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
WingChunDo?
That is the Japanese city Wing Chun, similar to the Hokkien equivalent of Eng Chun, which is close to Nam Wah. :D
Sorry, had to :p