PDA

View Full Version : Attn Beautifulvalley!!

scotty1
05-24-2002, 08:34 AM
How do you fight kickboxers and grapplers using your Taiji?

Like specifically, how do you (as a Taiji man) deal with boxing combos? Do you parry, then counter attack?

What kinds of attacks do you use, percussive or manuipulative locks and things? Is there punching in Taiji?

I suppose I basically want to know how taiji fights, with regard to dealing with incoming attacks and countering them.

Sorry if I'm rehashing old ground.

beautifulvaley
05-24-2002, 08:40 AM
scotty did you read the post before deleted

red5angel
05-24-2002, 09:30 AM
beautifulvaley - why did you delete it? I thought it was a good question and am interested in hearing the answer!

Chang Style Novice
05-24-2002, 09:35 AM
As a tai chi guy who's never fought a boxer, I wanna know, too.

Shooter
05-24-2002, 11:25 AM
From now on, what we do in the training hall stays in the training hall.

J, some of us are going to visit that school on Sunday. If you wanna meet up with us, call me this evening.

Liokault
05-24-2002, 03:06 PM
Where are you in the UK scotty1? We train in traditianal Tai Chi (well tradtianal before 99% of people forgor 99% of the content and then said that what they were doing was Tai Chi as it always was) and fight against boxers and just about anybody else who wants to come down and have a roll.

If you are in Scotland (big asumption) then my I can point you towards a class in the same style as we train in. If you are in London then come down to Oxford (its not far) and get some of the answers to all the questions about Tai Chi that you have been asking of late.

(And if you dont want to train in Tai Chi then we are always looking for sparring oponents)

scotty1
05-27-2002, 03:40 AM
Liokault -

I am in Sussex. Not to far from Oxford, but not axactly on the doorstep either. Thanks for the offer though, if I can think of a way of getting up there it does sound like fun.

"and get some of the answers to all the questions about Tai Chi that you have been asking of late. "

You noticed! Yes, I am very curious about Tai Chi at the mo.
You do Sanshou don't you? Has your Taiji training helped your kickboxing?

scotty1
05-27-2002, 05:50 AM
Chang, RedAngel, what question are you talking about, mine?

Or did beautifulvalley ask me a question?

Liokault
05-27-2002, 06:41 AM
You do Sanshou don't you? Has your Taiji training helped your kickboxing?

GRRRRR. I do not do kick boxing I only do Tai Chi and I seem to be applying what im doing very well in san shou. The only change we made to our training for the san shou was lots more stamina work.

scotty1
05-28-2002, 01:31 AM
Isn't Sanshou kickboxing, really? I mean, it could be described as kickboxing, surely?

So when you do Sanshou sparring you must use a lot of punches and things like round kicks. I was under the impression that you didn't train those in Taiji.

Anyway, the point is - you train Taiji, and those principles can be applied in a more external setting, agree?

Liokault
05-28-2002, 04:36 AM
Ok your right.

But my tai chi training is all i do plus stamina work.

We train in several kicks in traditional tai chi-all of them are low with the highest being a straight kick to the abdomin.
I have picked up a low round kick to the thigh from a friend to use as an entry. This is pretty much the only kick I use in san shou.

Also tai chi is as much a way of doing things as it is a set art so ANY move can be made into a tai chi move once you have gotten into moveing like a tai chi person and doing things in an internal way. Thats what all the pushing hands do they make you move in a tai chi manner.

scotty1
05-28-2002, 05:15 AM
"Also tai chi is as much a way of doing things as it is a set art so ANY move can be made into a tai chi move once you have gotten into moveing like a tai chi person and doing things in an internal way"

That sounds excellent.

Chang Style Novice
05-28-2002, 05:29 AM
Your tai chi doesn't have the (lacking a proper name for it) 'toes up' side kick that connects heel to chin? I'm not very experienced at all, but I thought that was a pretty standard tai chi thing. Chang style also has inner and outer crescent kicks, but I assumed those were a late addition by GM Chang. Anyway, that's all the high kicking I know in tcc.

And to clarify my question above: I want to know what tai chi strategies work against boxing strategies for you, and how you've been able to use them. My own suspicion is that against a boxer, I'd try to close distance fast and then lock and throw once I got inside. But as I say, I've never fought a boxer so I don't know how that would go (pretty poorly right now, I'm sure. I haven't trained hard for a while.)

Liokault
05-28-2002, 05:38 AM
No the highest the leg gets in our hand form (Wudang Tai Chi Chuan) is shoulder level in a move called sweep lotus. In practice sweep lotus is a low sweep pulling your oponents hands to one side and sweeping the foot in the oposite direction.

scotty1
05-28-2002, 06:44 AM
"(pretty poorly right now, I'm sure. I haven't trained hard for a while.)"

Slappy wristys Mr Novice!:D

Chang Style Novice
05-28-2002, 08:29 AM
Ow! Quit it!

On the plus side, I've just bagged another new job. One that doesn't conflict with classes. So that should take care of itself soon.

Liokault
05-28-2002, 09:48 AM
And to clarify my question above: I want to know what tai chi strategies work against boxing strategies for you, and how you've been able to use them. My own suspicion is that against a boxer, I'd try to close distance fast and then lock and throw once I got inside. But as I say, I've never fought a boxer so I don't know how that would go (pretty poorly right now, I'm sure. I haven't trained hard for a while.)

Boxers like to clinch then get nicely seperated by a ref. I like to clinch then elbow,knee,armlock.sweep,kick,headbutt ect all while im off ballanceing him.

You just need to be aware of distance and timeing to get in.