PDA

View Full Version : Any good praying mantis schools in northern California?

mixxalot
05-24-2002, 12:25 PM
Hi all,

I have a good friend who is interested in learning northern praying mantis style of gung fu. Does anyone have any recommendations for where he can find a good school in northern California? Thanks.

mixxalot

Mantis9
05-24-2002, 02:31 PM
has a great site that listings of Praying Mantis schools around the USA. I believe these are mainly 7* PM schools. He also has a page of links to many different PM sites which are pretty large and diverse. Its www.authentickungfu.com.

That's a good jumping off point. I sure the Taiji and 8 step people can give you more info on schools offering their lineage's variation of PM. Maybe the Wah Lum people have something out in North Cali :confused:

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Mantis9

NorthernMantis
05-24-2002, 05:53 PM
We used to have something over there but something happened and the guy doesn't have a school open anymore. I believe 7kicks has a school in the area. Keep the post up until he sees it.

yu shan
05-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey NM, who in WL used to be in Northern Calif.? I know Kenny was in L.A. and so is our good friend Woliveri. Have a good holiday!

mixxalot
05-24-2002, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys. I train in Choy Lay Fut and my friend is into the Mantis style.
How do you think about the quick seminars on PM that are hosted by sifus? are they any good? Thanks

NorthernMantis
05-25-2002, 07:41 AM
well I'm not sure of they guy's name but he made an appearance on the first mortal combat movie as Johnny Cage's friend that got killed by Goro.

woliveri
05-25-2002, 12:02 PM
NM, that was Kenny Edwards in Mortal Combat. He's located in Southern California (Pasadena), not in the North of California.

mixxalot
05-25-2002, 04:22 PM
I hope that a praying mantis master opens up a school someday in the near future in northern california. I see tons of other kung fu and karate schools here but its rare to meet kung fu folks who practice NPM or Monkey styles of gung fu! Hmm.. maybe I should journey to China, learn NPM and open a school eventually here! Food for thought.

Fen
05-25-2002, 05:04 PM
Where in Northern Cal. are you?

NorthernMantis
05-25-2002, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the correction Woli

mixxalot
05-26-2002, 10:40 AM
We both live here in Sacramento, California. I checked out Grandmaster Sun's website (www.8step.com) and found a NPM school in San Francisco and El Cerrito. I told my friend about it and he is thrilled. As for me, I train in Choy Li Fut in Sacramento. Once I have a solid foundation in CLF, I plan to also learn and train in Praying Mantis. What fascinates me most about NPM is the footwork derived from Monkey Style gung fu and the really cool looking mantis claw hands. No other style has this unique feature. Thanks for the info on training schools.

~ Scott

yu shan
05-27-2002, 06:36 PM
Isn`t Kenny E. doing Eagle now? As for CLF, the best of the southern styles,great fighters! Out of respect to the Late Great Lee Kwoon Hung.

Thanks for the kudos for Mantis. There is alot more than the footwork and Mantis hook. Mantis is an intellectual style and full of tricks. Do yourself a favor, and take it up. It will help figure out what you already know, plus alot more!

Mixx, go to Taiwan...

mixxalot
05-27-2002, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the encouragement to visit Taiwan. I would love to visit both Taiwan and China next summer for a few weeks not only to learn new kung fu but also to see the Shaolin Temple, site see and do some shopping. I am planning to take a semester of chinese to get some basics down before I go. Yeah you are right there is more to NPM than meets the eyes. Not many folks in America study it so its more unique than say Wing Chun or Karate so would be great style to learn. Thanks again.

ShaolinMantis
05-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Northern Mantis Schools in Bay area.

Taiji Mantis: Campbell, Martinez, Walnut Creek, San Francisco, San Jose - www.shao-lin-dao.com

also a Taiji mantis school in Sacramento which teaches akido as well.

7 star: Campbell, Martinez, San Fransciso ( golden gate park)