PDA

View Full Version : Differences between CLF styles?

mixxalot
05-24-2002, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

As a CLF student I have head about the various brances of Choy Li/Lay/Lee Fut. What are the main differences between Hung Sing, Bak Sing, and Chan styles in CLF? Perhaps all of you excellent sifus of CLF can answer this question accurately? I have heard that Chan emphasizes internal forms. What does this mean? Thanks!

premier
05-24-2002, 04:12 PM
The Chan family branch doesn't specially emphasize the internal forms, but they're there. The internal sets are part of Lohan qigong system derived from Shaolin and integrated into CLF.

I don't know anything about the other branches so I won't comment on them or the differences.

nospam
05-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Bak Hsing is relentless and aggressive. The fight is always taken to the opponent. We drive forward constantly with a flurry of strikes that generally nullifies kicks and lends the upper hand as your opponent tends to become overwhelmed and turns their back - bingo.

nospam.
:cool:

TenTigers
05-25-2002, 10:54 PM
The small amount of Hung Sing I studied was also relentless and agressive, so I think that would be a similarity rather than a difference. From what I have been told, Bak Sing has more of a northern influence, and more emphasis on kicking than its Hung Sing brother. Yes? No?

mixxalot
05-27-2002, 07:37 PM
I did some reading on CLF history and basically it splits into the two main branches of Chan style and Hung Sing (from Jeong Yim I think). Some forms are unique to each like Hung Sing Long Fist from Hung Sing branch, etc.

nospam
05-27-2002, 09:34 PM
Bak Hsing does not prescribe to the use of 20+ forms. This is one distinct difference. Although it is my opinion that this difference has lessened in today's MA business world.

I have heard and read that many practitioners tried or studied Bak Hsing because of the emphasis on actual fighting.

nospam.
:cool:

mixxalot
05-30-2002, 09:20 AM
Cool

I am learning the Hung Sing long fist form in CLF right now. Its challenging and quite a workout as well as excellent form for self defense and training. It stretches the shoulders, arms quite well to get the qi flowing.