PDA

View Full Version : Redboat Wc .....

Rafael
05-24-2002, 12:50 PM
hello all ,

I am curious to know if anyone here has studied Redboat WC.

What are your opinions of it and the main differences compared to IP Man style WC.

Lastly who's WC teaching style resembles it most ?

Thank You

RF

byond
05-24-2002, 01:06 PM
welll..................i came across someone teaching what they called"redboat"....from what i could surmize it mas a mixture of material from the 3 book series on wc from robert smith(i think thats his name..red and brown covers) and from william cheungs book biu jee.....looks like he mixed up the two and came up with a *******ized mockery of wc....and he called it redboat wc...it was the the lamest wc ive ever encountered

Rafael
05-24-2002, 01:24 PM
My curiosity of it peaked when one of my training partners started training with a guy here in Orange county (don’t know his name, have to ask my buddy) in Red boat WC. Or at least the guy is claiming that. Most of what he showed me looked similar to what you wrote byond . Looks like what William Chueng teaches( from what I have seen in some of Williams students).

It had A LOT of high kicking (but we see this in some WC public watered down forms as well).Made me a bit suspicious.

If some one else can share what they know I would appreciate it.

I am skeptical if this guy in Orange County really is teaching RBWC ...the fishy thing is it looks very JKD like (in sparring).

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

My interest in RBWC is only for comparison sake.

Thanks

RF-

reneritchie
05-24-2002, 01:36 PM
There are several branches using the name Hung Suen (Red Boat). The eldest (using it for the longest time) that I'm aware of is the branch of Gulao (Koo Lo/Pien Sao) imported back onto the Cantonese Red Junks in the early 1900s. This system was learned by Yeung Fook, an opera performer of the time, who brought it to Seattle in 60s, I believe. He was a classmate of Bruce Lee's father, and the one who impressed Lee with WCK enough that when Lee was in HK, he sent his son Bruce to learn it (Bruce Lee also later studied with Yeung Fook in Seattle). I think his best known student is David Harris.

In recent times, Garrett Gee sifu used the name Hung Suen for his Hung Fa Yi system, and Rick Spain sifu uses it currently for his version of William Cheung's system since the two groups went their separate ways.

BTW- Since all known branches of WCK have at least one origin story leading back to the Red Junks, any branch could use the name.

Rgds,

RR

byond
05-24-2002, 01:36 PM
hey r,
well there is the hung fa yi (red flower union) i think in san fran...it is headed by garet gee sifu. they dont use a pigeon toed stance ...they use a more traditional southern kung fu stance much like wiliam cheung sifu. and there are alot of things that are ,externaly at least,alike. of cource if something is supposed to have come from the red boats i would assume it would have a pigeon toed stance....if you have ever tried siu nim tao on a boat you will agree......:D

yuanfen
05-24-2002, 05:17 PM
byond
I dont agree. I have tried the basic Yip Man ygkym on boats, ships, planes, buses, trains, trams, streetcars, NYC
and Boston subways, iced sidewalks... works just fine for me...
no HFY or TWC for me, thank you..
yuanfen

anerlich
05-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Byond,

My Sifu calls his style Hung Suen Wing Chun, though it's still straight TWC. No one so far has tried to sue him for trademark violation. Most Wing Chun allegedly comes from the red junks, so what the hell? BTW, I am working on that email.

It had A LOT of high kicking (but we see this in some WC public watered down forms as well).Made me a bit suspicious.

Rafael, don't assume that because a WC guy does high kicks that his style is watered down. My Sifu has a kicking arsenal better than most TKD BB's, and IMO can use Wing Chun in his own way as well as anyone on the planet. Why do we kick high? Because we CAN. Anyone who doubts the quality of my school is welcome to visit and judge for themselves.

www.combatcentres.com

yuanfen
05-25-2002, 04:35 AM
The red (opera)boats by most accounts played a major role in most wing chun stories in the development of the art. Whether it provided the origins or only provided a further stage in the development of wing chun depends on perspective, definition(meanings of what constituted the art) and opinion . Southern China had continuous eruptions and rebellions from the second third of the 17th century against the Ching/Qing. The rebels included peasants, martial artists and thugs. If anyone claims the name- red boat wing chun- no big deal IMO. Just a name.

reneritchie
05-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi Joy,

Well said. There was also activity not directed against the Qing. Some was against local (Han) governments, against rival organizations (societies, gangs), against non-Chinese governments, etc. Sometimes also *for* the Qing in the form of peasent militia, or against rebels/bandits/societies that proved more brutal than the Qing themselves (for example, the Foshan populace turning against the Red Turban Rebellion).

Rgds,

RR

byond
05-26-2002, 11:52 AM
yuenfan----i think we dont understand one another....when i said to try it on a boat i was refering to the pigeon toed ygkym which to me is the yip man method(is that what you are saying??)......by what you wrote it sounds like you think i believe a staight legged stance would be better on a boat..or that the redboat wc had a straight stance(i dont think this)....i agree i dont need the twc or the hfy at this point:D i know alot of people use it very effectivly.....but to each there own... i could use some chi gung sets though(hey ren..hint ,hint ,hint)

well guys i gave an ancidote instead of historics because i new the big dogs would have the historics handled in no time .....and there ren came in to save the day:D ...and wanted rafael to question and to know questioning is good because of the clowns out there....some worse than others

Rafael
05-28-2002, 06:40 AM
Rafael, don't assume that because a WC guy does high kicks that his style is watered down. My Sifu has a kicking arsenal better than most TKD BB's, and IMO can use Wing Chun in his own way as well as anyone on the planet. Why do we kick high? Because we CAN. Anyone who doubts the quality of my school is welcome to visit and judge for themselves. >

Hello Anerlich,

Sure we can kick high cause we want to. I think any technique can be used with the right timing. High kicks can be risky in a real fight obviously.

In some of the chum kil forms out there I have seen there is high kicking. I can only imagine it was put in there so the student could get flexibility and kicking high work your cardio. I am not too sure that is combat efficient.

Like I said though anything is possible.

Any way I appreciate all your responses.

Thanks

RF-